Hebden Bridge CAMC site

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hebden Bridge CAMC site

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:53 am

We came to visit this site by accident really. We had attended the Harrogate Motorhome show and stayed on a C&CC CS outside Ripon for 2 nights which was really not that great so anticipated going on to Slingsby C&CC site but on the way there, Carol was reading the club sites book for the directions when she noticed it didn't open until 31st March. A pull in at a layby to find an alternative revealed most C&CC sites in that area weren't open either. Further reading of both club books found that Hebden Bridge was open and roughly in the direction of home. A phone call to the site to check availability was made and we were on our way.

What a delight!  This is one of the CAMC's smaller sites with no toilet/shower block but as we seem to spend a lot of time on sites with such facilities and never use them, we didn't mind at all. Because of the lack of such facilities and with the clubs midweek discount the cost was £13.15 per night (we paid £15 at the Ripon CS that only had a toilet more than Hebden Bridge).

The site only has 42 pitches terraced so all level. I doubt the first terrace gets much use unless the site is full as its directly under the road you turn in from. Majority are hardstanding with just a couple of small areas for grass pitching. Most pitches are separated by a flower/shrub border. As its in a valley, TV reception is poor so the site (like many other CAMC sites) has a booster system so you need an aerial lead to hook up to the booster socket next to the EHU bollards. Even so we only managed to get 20 freeview channels but the main BBC and ITV channels were there.

Some pitches back onto a very steep bank at the bottom of which is a small but very fast flowing river, so the sound of rushing water is in the background which we found lovely as we chose one of these pitches. Maybe not so good if the sound of running water makes to want to go to the loo.

Chemical disposal, waste water, fresh water and motorhome service point are all located centrally as well as waste bins. There is only one pair of wardens here so the office is not always open to enable some time off for them but they are really friendly and chatty. They have only been there for 4 weeks so aren't too familiar with the surrounding area but told us the buses from right outside the site go to Hebden Bridge in one direction (10 minutes) and Huddersfield in the other (50 minutes).

We took the bus to Hebden Bridge (£2.50 return if you don't have passes, they don't accept our Welsh passes but we knew they wouldn't ). Quite a delightful small town. No national chain stores to be found apart from a couple of convenience stores (Co-op & Nisa), all independent shops, lots of cafe's and restaurants, can recommend the Watergate café, service a bit slow but excellent choice and very reasonable prices. There are artisan bakers, butchers, craft shops, a large antique centre, library with wifi, a toy shop etc. As the town is built in an area of mills, there are attractive buildings. The Rochdale canal runs through the town and there is a marina. Some of the narrow boats that are obviously permanently lived in could do with a bit (or a lot) of TLC. Despite the weather that day (it rained nearly all the time we were there) we enjoyed wandering around the town. If you go by bus make sure you check the return times on the bus stand as they change mid-afternoon .

We only stayed 2 nights but will be back.

Here are some photos of the town and site..

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hebden Bridge CAMC site

Post by Quilter on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:36 am

Shhh...don't tell everyone or they'll all want to go...!

Worth mentioning too is the Robin Hood pub, uphill from the site  (book first; it's popular) and, downhill, in Mytholmroyd, there are frequent buses to Halifax, Leeds, Bradford, Todmorden and Sowerby Bridge, all well worth visiting. 

If you like Hebden Bridge do you know about Nunnykirk, another equally delightful no facilites site in Northumberland which is well-sited for a day out at NT Cragside ?
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:44 am

Quilter wrote:
If you like Hebden Bridge do you know about Nunnykirk, another equally delightful no facilites site in Northumberland which is well-sited for a day out at NT Cragside ?
 Yes been to Nunnykirk as Northumberland is one of our favourite areas having lived up there for two years albeit 30 years ago, we still go back every other year or so.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Aww you're making me feel homesick now, I originate from Sowerby Bridge so know the area well although left when I was 26.
AndyRoyd
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:50 pm

AndyRoyd wrote:Aww you're making me feel homesick now, I originate from Sowerby Bridge so know the area well although left when I was 26.

Lovely part of the world. We thoroughly enjoyed it and kept extending our stay at Hebden Bridge as there was so much to see and do in the area. 

(Cycling enthusiasts will know about the Cragg Vale road outside the site - longest continuous gradient in UK- and will know that the Tour de France went through the village. That is the road you walk up and down if you can't fathom the peculiar bus " timetable" that runs past the site.  Don't unpack your bike unless you are very fit !
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:13 pm

We encountered a few knackered cyclists on that road.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi

Yes think the road outside the CC camp site is the longest up hill climb in England.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz 2.0 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:08 pm

You want to go there when the apples are out Paul.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:24 pm

You mention it rained. There is a reason 5 rivers converge on Hebden Bridge. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Quite used to rain, live in Wales.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:20 pm

Last year we were there when the whole valley, especially Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Mytholmroyd were recovering from the disastrous floods at Christmas. There were very few buildings unaffected and shops were just beginning to open after refurbishment.  Many shops had the flood level taped halfway up their window and everywhere we shopped or ate had new everything inside, walls, woodwork, electrical sockets and so on. Huge numbers of people were living upstairs while the downstairs of their houses were gutted and everyone had a story to tell.

We were very impressed by the can do- no whinging attitude of everyone we spoke to and wish them well. Just after we left, in late June, they were going to celebrate their Christmas fete that they had not been able to do at Christmas.
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Quilter wrote:Last year we were there when the whole valley, especially Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Mytholmroyd were recovering from the disastrous floods at Christmas. There were very few buildings unaffected and shops were just beginning to open after refurbishment.  Many shops had the flood level taped halfway up their window and everywhere we shopped or ate had new everything inside, walls, woodwork, electrical sockets and so on. Huge numbers of people were living upstairs while the downstairs of their houses were gutted and everyone had a story to tell.

We were very impressed by the can do- no whinging attitude of everyone we spoke to and wish them well. Just after we left, in late June, they were going to celebrate their Christmas fete that they had not been able to do at Christmas.

Over the years Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd and Luddenden Foot have suffered from flooding with the Calder for at least my lifetime, flood defences and straightening of the river has reduced the problem somewhat for these towns/villages but it has just moved the problem down stream.

Sowerby Bridge was hit hard, the river is normally about 20 feet below the bridge but in this flood the area was overwhelmed, my mums partner went shopping on that day and it took him 4 hours to get home as he had to take the high ground over the moors to the M62 then back over the moors to get home.

I remember encountering flooding back in the 50's in the town centre when out with mum ( 101 this year) raised walkways where put over the bridge for pedestrians but there was not much traffic in those days.

Elland which is the next town downstream had their main bridge to the town washed away and has just had it's official opening last week.

I suppose it is just Yorkshire nature just to get on with life but this could be applied to the whole country
AndyRoyd
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:29 pm

I originate from Sowerby Bridge

Wow! me too, used to live in York House on Beech road, brand new when I lived there (mid 60s)  but pulled down about 5 years ago.

As for the HB site I notice that the C and MH Club have taken a "Ryanair" approach to naming as its no where near Hebden Bridge - its in Cragg Vale which is on the other side of Mytholmroyd.

the Shoulder of Mutton pub used to do a great roast pork dinner (might still do I havent been for a while)

I stayed a couple of times down the road at a CL called "the Parrock" cant recomend it.

If you are fit and able the walk up to Heptonstall is good (dont even consider taking the motorhome up) or the bus to Kings Cross and on to Halifax check if Wainhouse tower (you wont miss it) is open fantastic views on a clear day, its said that you can see Blackpool tower (although I never have been able to)
raymondo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:05 pm

raymondo wrote:
I originate from Sowerby Bridge

Wow! me too, used to live in York House on Beech road, brand new when I lived there (mid 60s)  but pulled down about 5 years ago.

As for the HB site I notice that the C and MH Club have taken a "Ryanair" approach to naming as its no where near Hebden Bridge - its in Cragg Vale which is on the other side of Mytholmroyd.

the Shoulder of Mutton pub used to do a great roast pork dinner (might still do I havent been for a while)

I stayed a couple of times down the road at a CL called "the Parrock" cant recomend it.

If you are fit and able the walk up to Heptonstall is good (dont even consider taking the motorhome up) or the bus to Kings Cross and on to Halifax check if Wainhouse tower (you wont miss it) is open fantastic views on a clear day, its said that you can see Blackpool tower (although I never have been able to)

I had an uncle that lived in York house in the 60's, Bert Jones, I was born at Lower Bently Royd up Sowerby new road just outside the cemetery.

You are right about the Ryanair effect, the site is a valley and more away from Hebden Bridge.

Is that the Shoulder of Mutton up Blackshaw Head? if so I used to frequent the Saturday night disco there in the 60's.
AndyRoyd
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Is that the Shoulder of Mutton up Blackshaw Head

No, almost under the railway bridge in Mytholmroyd.

raymondo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum