2 l vw clubman wont start when warm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2 l vw clubman wont start when warm

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:32 am

When my rig is cold i stand outside the cab, stick the key in and dont touch anything. She fires up on the first key turn every time even after a 5 month rest. When she is stopped after she is warm or maybe stalls on a run, I cant start the little * Inappropriate Word * untill she cools down. Has anyone any ideas. The petrol peddle is not touched during any starting procedure or she floods.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2 l vw clubman wont start when warm

Post by Les W on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:06 am

samleeds wrote:When my rig is cold i stand outside the cab, stick the key in and dont touch anything. She fires up on the first key turn every time even after a 5 month rest. When she is stopped after she is warm or maybe stalls on a run, I cant start the little * Inappropriate Word * untill she cools down. Has anyone any ideas. The petrol peddle is not touched during any starting procedure or she floods.
Could be running rich, if it starts so easily without choke.. (or coil overheating?).
Les W

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Inca EK
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:26 am

Les W wrote:
samleeds wrote:When my rig is cold i stand outside the cab, stick the key in and dont touch anything. She fires up on the first key turn every time even after a 5 month rest. When she is stopped after she is warm or maybe stalls on a run, I cant start the little * Inappropriate Word * untill she cools down. Has anyone any ideas. The petrol peddle is not touched during any starting procedure or she floods.
Could be running rich, if it starts so easily without choke.. (or coil overheating?).
You could be right in the rich department as it runs great but the fuel consumption is pants. Id better get someone to tune it down if its an easy job.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Les W on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:12 am

Check the airfilter isn't clogged up first..
Les W

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:15 am

Les W wrote:Check the airfilter isn't clogged up first..
Im not a mechanic but there is the engine block on top of it is the injector and manifold brute. Coming away from that is a 5 inch rubber housing thats 1 foot long. Is the air filter inside that or is it located somewhere else. I dont want to remove stuff if it damages the engine as i am a clutz at mechanics, lol.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Les W on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi Sam, whilst I know exactly how (petrol) engines work (did my apprenticeship in the 60's & 70's), I have no knowledge of your specific vehicle.
The air filter would interrupt the air supply to the inlet side, so you're looking in the right area.
No harm would be done disconnecting the filter when the engine is hot/warm, to see if it will start.
Les W

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Les W wrote:Hi Sam, whilst I know exactly how (petrol) engines work (did my apprenticeship in the 60's & 70's), I have no knowledge of your specific vehicle.
The air filter would interrupt the air supply to the inlet side, so you're looking in the right area.
No harm would be done disconnecting the filter when the engine is hot/warm, to see if it will start.
Ive located the air filter. Its a huge bin like box on the left of the engine compartment. It seems to have one release clip on the top near the bulkhead. The other end has a handle attached with instructions to push down and remove the filter. I have been pushing, shoving, twisting and banging it for ages and it aint going nowhere. Now I cant clip it back up again so there s a gap at the top bulkhead rim. 

Is there a knack to remove these or am i just a clutz. lol

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum