First service (after 2 years). How much??

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: First service (after 2 years). How much??

Post by Gromit on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:33 pm

crisp wrote:The answer I suspect is no. I have my nissan and the motorhome serviced at a local garage for under £200. However when a fault occurred with the door handle on the Nissan which they couldn't fix before I went on holiday I was told I had no recourse to them because I hadn't shown brand loyalty!!!

Maybe not but I have saved several hundred pounds against the costs others seem to pay at the moment.
Seems to me that loyalty is all too often a very expensive one way street these days.

You are expected to be loyal to them and pay their inflated prices, or they throw a strop and refuse to offer a service - and I'm not only talking about motorhomes.

I think your final sentence carries a lot of weight!!

Thanks again for all the replies. up!

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Wise words there Machloop. It's just getting over that initial trust barrier so to speak. I started using a new mechanic 4 years ago just to do service work on my Fiat Hymer. Just changing filter, oil and alternator, air con drive belts, brake pads etc. then I asked him to service and check over my A/S Vito. I knew it had slight wear on a drive shaft and a glow plug had failed. He found the problems and told me both were a common vault on the old Vito. He now does all the mechanical work on my Vans  I like to do a bit myself still as they are older vehicles so nothing to technical about them. 
Machloop wrote:
Gromit wrote:So why have the members who have posted above paid such widely varying prices for the same service??
Because the service price is set by the dealer not by Peugeot and varies from place to place. And,of course, anyone who buys a £60,000 van and does less than 5000 miles a year is thought of as having more money than sense and will think whatever they're quoted must be the 'correct' price. Main dealers are not your mates. I advise trying mobile or 'back street' mechanics, maybe with small jobs at first and get to know and trust them, mine always gets paid more than he asks me for as I know that he is cheap and I want him to come back next time. Same with habitation jobs, well trained people exist out there who, for whatever reason, prefer to come to you with a van full of caravan spare parts instead of working for a dealer. 
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Just checked: Mine cost me £145 at my local garage and was described as a 'short service'. £55 parts, £65 labour plus VAT.

Incidentally my Peugeot handbook says oil and filter change to be carried out annually if less that 6000 miles are covered. Or has someone already said that? Mine is a 2013 van.
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 pm

Local main dealer menu price for interim service using 'original' parts + MOT £175
2013 'New Boxer' 16500 miles.
The habitation check will cost me that I expect.
bertb

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Gromit wrote:I had a quote yesterday for the first service on the van (Peugeot) as it's almost two years old.

I'm still reeling from the shock . . . would others mind saying how much they have paid for recent first time services? At worst I might be in the company of other severely traumatised owners!! so_sad  hugegrins

Thanks in advance.
I know it's  been some time since you asked this question. Our Neuvo had its two year service last week at a large local main Peugeot dealership, the cost (agreed beforehand) was £178. Even offered a free wash.

As this amounted to sticking it through their van wash, I declined   biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Askit: did that include changing brake fluid? If so, that's a very competitive price. My equivalent (same age and type of vehicle) at main dealer was £215.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Further to my earlier post. When I went to the dealer they said the cost would be £414! After much discussion we got it down to £250 without MOT. I wish I had booked it on internet! The site I used was the dealerships own site not Peugeots. I needed this service to get an updated service record book (another story) but once bitten twice shy as they say. BTW the hab check cost £180.
bertb

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Cymro wrote:Askit: did that include changing brake fluid? If so, that's a very competitive price. My equivalent (same age and type of vehicle) at main dealer was £215.
Cymro, they didn't change the brake fluid, only the oil and oil filter. I was pretty surprised at the price given that the dealers are a big organisation up here with multiple franchises. The service was also arranged in a time slot rather than me having to leave the MH in the morning and getting it back when they were ready (as I have to do with my car   twiddle_thumbs )

Last edited by Askit on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks, Askit. That's pretty comparable. And not unreasonable, I think. Maintains the warranty.
cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Personally; if like me your annual mileage is circa 5000miles pa and generally on long runs.
I question the point of paying out good money for a service that most able bodied men can carry out!
A contentious view sure.....but vehical are well built theses days and well tested.
Habitation services are different in my view and I wouldn't miss one but the base vehical service? .....

I am most likely to have the 1st service but thereafter likely to carry out my own oil change etc!

I've been ripped of too many times to be too worried about missing the vehical service schedule by "professionals" To maintain an unlikely warranty claim! and if you keep all your service history I doubt it will effect resale value too much!

I used to think; well if I can afford to get the vehical serviced, why go through the hassle of doing it myself, but the oil changes on the Boxer e.g are pretty simple, changing brake fluid on a vehicle less than 5 years old is questionable in my opinion, I'm no professional and my opinions can be questioned think_smiley_46

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Ray, the service at two years is a requirement of the 3 year Peugeot warranty. I get what you're saying about warranties, I know some might take their chances on nothing going wrong but I'm not one of them   happyno .

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Yes of course Tony, I respect your point of view :) 

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Libraryman2 wrote:Personally; if like me your annual mileage is circa 5000miles pa and generally on long runs.
I question the point of paying out good money for a service that most able bodied men can carry out!
I agree entirely - on my current van it goes in for service every 2 years to get the tick in the service record, and then I do a "fill in" oil and filters change at the start of each year. Ok, it means that it gets an oil change after 6000 miles when the oil is supposed to be good for 20k miles, but that doesn't worry me.

Habitation checks are another matter - there's nothing much about a habitation check that I can't do myself, so in the 30+ years that I've owned a camper/motorhome I've never actually had a habitation check!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Habitation checks are another matter - there's nothing much about a habitation check that I can't do myself, so in the 30+ years that I've owned a camper/motorhome I've never actually had a habitation check!

Cool!....saved yourself a bit there :)

Ray
Libraryman2

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepyDon on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 pm

-mojo- wrote:Habitation checks are another matter - there's nothing much about a habitation check that I can't do myself, so in the 30+ years that I've owned a camper/motorhome I've never actually had a habitation check!

Can you do the safety checks on the gas system/pipes yourself?    I think the cost is worth the piece of mind the gas is safe, otherwise it's fireworks
AutoSleepyDon

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum