First service (after 2 years). How much??

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First service (after 2 years). How much??

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 am

I had a quote yesterday for the first service on the van (Peugeot) as it's almost two years old.

I'm still reeling from the shock . . . would others mind saying how much they have paid for recent first time services? At worst I might be in the company of other severely traumatised owners!! so_sad  hugegrins

Thanks in advance.

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First service (after 2 years). How much??

Post by roli on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 am

I cant remember Dave but Peugeot dealers are expensive.  Got the 1st service done by dealer then back to my own garage where I know what should be done will be without the need of a mortgage.  Apart from that he is a motorhomer himself.
Got another 12 months to wait for our 1st service better get my inbuilt defribulator charged up before I ask

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:22 am

Gromit wrote:would others mind saying how much they have paid for recent first time services?
Thanks in advance.
My man would charge about £15/hour, plus parts and he comes to the door and never uses a work experience kid like some main dealers who offload the oil changes. He changes fluids as required and re-sets the clocks etc. points out any other problems like tires and brakes and he needs me to use him again for our cars as well. The only thing is you risk the last year of warranty - but is it worth an extra £200 ?

camper

Machloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Dave,
             My Symbol is going in at the end of this month to the peugeot main dealer, it's a late 2014 and I have had it a year,it's got 6000 on the clock, the quote was £450, which I thought was.....'well ridiculous !!
managed to get a few quids off but still well over £400.

I thought it had to go to the main dealer to ensure that the warranty was valid and the service book reflected a well looked after vehicle.

I have to admit that I had a sharp intake of breath, also that along with Insurance , the cost of fuel, and wine going up in price, we had better use it, or it becomes an expensive ornament on our drive.

Phil
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks Phil.

I believe the crucial point at issue is whether original OEM parts are used. If they are, and the mechanic is fully qualified to work on the vehicle, I think the warranty is preserved.

I was quoted £515, which is even more terrifying, specially when it has done only 7,500 miles! I guess a lot of us would do no more than about 5,000 miles per year, but it seems they automatically quote "white van man" prices.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am

Hi Dave,
              Yes they adopt a "menu pricing" approach, which means if you have been bombing up and down the motorway distributing widgets and done 70000 miles in a year you pay the same as us, who do less than a tenth of that.

A friend of mines said that my 4500 miles last year barely justifies an oil change let alone rubbing an oily rag around the steering wheel!!  confused3

Phil
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:09 pm

As well as using genuine OEM parts, a non-franchise garage/ local repairman must be VAT registered to maintain your warranty.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 pm

I pay around £400.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Paulmold wrote:As well as using genuine OEM parts, a non-franchise garage/ local repairman must be VAT registered to maintain your warranty.
"Why"?

Does that make them better qualified to do the job??

Thanks all for the replies.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Gromit: I see that you've opened a new thread on this topic, and so I thought it would keep things tidy if I reposted what I'd written in response to the same query on another thread:

I had my first service done on 16 March by local main Peugeot dealers. Mileage 5,946; 2 years and a week from new (they had confirmed that the slight over-run on the second anniversary would not invalidate warranty). They did whatever was required for a first service. On their recommendation, the brake fluid was also changed. Total bill £215.07.

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks Cymro

Notice placed in the other thread to direct members here.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Gromit wrote:
Paulmold wrote:As well as using genuine OEM parts, a non-franchise garage/ local repairman must be VAT registered to maintain your warranty.
"Why"?

Does that make them better qualified to do the job??

Thanks all for the replies.

Probably more likely to use OEM parts and of course would have proof of purchase compared with back-street mechanic.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Probably more likely to use OEM parts and of course would have proof of purchase compared with back-street mechanic.
That makes sense.

Thanks

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mel Battersby on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:35 pm

My 2015 registered Kemerton is coming up for its first service in May. Will likewise compare prices from the local main Peugeot dealers and hope to match the price Cymro paid. Thanks all for providing an estimate to what should and should not be paid.
Mel
Mel Battersby

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON

View user profile http://melbattersby@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 pm

We took out an Optiway service plan with Peugeot when the van was new. This involves making monthly payments by Direct Debit, but it covers the servicing and also pays for MOT's when they fall due. We also get 10% off any Peugeot parts / accessories. The cost of the service plan, which runs for 6 years works out at £15-00 per month (making a total of about £1050).

Perhaps this is expensive, but to us it is a simple system which covers all servicing and MOTs for a 6 year period and can be easily afforded on a month by month basis, with no large bills at service time.
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:55 pm

My Fiat garage does a low mileage service. Can't remember exactly how much offhand but well under £300.

pstallwood
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks again for the info.

Looks like some haggling is in order!! up!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:41 pm

phil1855 wrote: they adopt a "menu pricing" approach, which means if you have been bombing up and down the motorway distributing widgets and done 70000 miles in a year you pay the same as us, who do less than a tenth of that.
The service schedule is a fixed list of jobs and checks.  It makes no difference is the van is brand new or nearly a scrapper, the work is the same, hence the same price.

camper

Machloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:25 pm

Machloop wrote:
phil1855 wrote: they adopt a "menu pricing" approach, which means if you have been bombing up and down the motorway distributing widgets and done 70000 miles in a year you pay the same as us, who do less than a tenth of that.
The service schedule is a fixed list of jobs and checks.  It makes no difference is the van is brand new or nearly a scrapper, the work is the same, hence the same price.
So why have the members who have posted above paid such widely varying prices for the same service??

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:04 pm

When I enquired about the cost of the first service at 6000 miles a local Peugeot dealer quoted £350 inc which I declined.
As the service book says service every 2 years or 30,000 miles I couldn't see the point in changing the fuel, air and pollen filters at only 6000 miles.
The following week I had the same dealer carry out a small service which included engine oil and filter and a check for any outstanding software updates etc and the official Peugeot Lion stamp in the service book, total cost £99 including vat.

A month later I had the faulty radio and then the instrument panel replaced free of charge under warranty without any problems.
spanner

Male

Member Age : 97
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway Duo EL
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:51 am

Spanner's contribution (above) caused me to think "What did I get for my £215 first service?". I assumed that the main dealer carried out all that the book specified. If so, then I'd have been charged for the parts. So I've checked:
Oil filter
Oil drain plug
Engine oil
Washer liquid (cheeky - it was full!)
Brake fluid.

The bill also says "Carried out 1st Annual Service as per Manufacturers (sic) Schedule," and "Carried out Manufacturers Recall Check all okay".

No mention of changing the fuel, air or pollen filters mentioned by Spanner; I presume because not prescribed by Peugeot at that interval.

I wonder if Gromit and others are being quoted like-for-like? Spanner's £99 procedure sounds much like the one that cost me £215! Is the £500 quote for the all-changing mega service?
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Machloop on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:54 am

Gromit wrote:So why have the members who have posted above paid such widely varying prices for the same service??
Because the service price is set by the dealer not by Peugeot and varies from place to place. And,of course, anyone who buys a £60,000 van and does less than 5000 miles a year is thought of as having more money than sense and will think whatever they're quoted must be the 'correct' price. Main dealers are not your mates. I advise trying mobile or 'back street' mechanics, maybe with small jobs at first and get to know and trust them, mine always gets paid more than he asks me for as I know that he is cheap and I want him to come back next time. Same with habitation jobs, well trained people exist out there who, for whatever reason, prefer to come to you with a van full of caravan spare parts instead of working for a dealer. 

camper

Machloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:14 am

Machloop wrote:
I advise trying mobile or 'back street' mechanics, maybe with small jobs at first and get to know and trust them,
Thanks Machloop

I do know and trust such a mobile Mr Fixit (called Trev smile! ), and I think he may be able to stamp my book. I met him through my tugger mate, who is back from holiday today, so I shall phone him later to get the contact details.

Trev actually quite likes to chat while working, so there's no chance that he will skimp on the job, or tick the boxes while drinking coffee in an armchair!! think_smiley_46

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 am

As we all know we are all free to take our vans to any person who uses genuine parts and has access to stamp and record such a service, this is under present EU regs.

However caution must be advised as when on our last A/S Topaz the ABS unit failed at 3 yrs 4 mths and the cost was £800+ to rectify, the VW main dealer where I had all service done stepped in and offered a good will payment which brought the price down to £150, still not good, but a lot better than the original quote.

I wonder if they would have been so kind if I had taken the van to a non franchise garage for the services?
rgermain

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:09 pm

The answer I suspect is no. I have my nissan and the motorhome serviced at a local garage for under £200. However when a fault occurred with the door handle on the Nissan which they couldn't fix before I went on holiday I was told I had no recourse to them because I hadn't shown brand loyalty!!!

Maybe not but I have saved several hundred pounds against the costs others seem to pay at the moment.
crisp

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum