How hot is hot water ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How hot is hot water ?

Post by phil1855 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:51 am

Hi All,
          Put the heating on in the van to run it up and give it a work out. On hookup.

Our Symbol has the Truma Combi heater for space heating and water. Van was lovely and warm within minutes, however despite leaving it for 20 minutes or so, and having selected Winter operation with water temperature monitoring (60 degrees for water) water not even tepid.

Then selected Mixed operation (gas and electricity 1800w). No significant difference, ran the taps for several minutes, no difference again.

Should I leave it longer? am I expecting an instant reaction when thats not realistic? (Did wait 20 minutes!!)

Advice please.

Phil
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How hot is hot water ?

Post by Gromit on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am

Hi Phil

On hook up alone you could grow a beard while you wait for the hot water, specially if the space heating is having to warm up the van at the same time. Whistle1

On gas alone, or even better with both energies combined, the water should be hot enough for a shower in half an hour. Presumably you set it to 60 degrees?

Are you sure the gas had lit? It sounds to me as if it hadn't. Try it with gas alone. Go outside and hold your hand over the exhaust flue. You will feel the hot gases immediately if it's running properly. It can take several attempts to get gas appliances going if the van has been unused for a while. The fridge in particular can be a pig to start.

Hope this helps

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am

Cheers Dave,
                    Guess what i'll be doing this morning?

I am assuming that the system operates like my shower, it heats water that passes through the system, as there in no hot water tank, so I am not sure why I would need to wait half an hour?

The space heater was certainly working as the van was warm.
I will try water heating only, and also run the fridge up as thats not been on since October.

Cheeers  up!

Phil
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:43 am

There is a hot water tank Phil. I don't know where it is in your van, but there will be one. It might be a case of reading the manual - I know we blokes are not supposed to do that, but sometimes it's necessary. snigger

Just for information, the winter drain down is mostly for the protection of the hot tank, which can be very expensive to fix if it gets frozen solid. If you didn't drain down properly before the winter, you are probably very lucky since it never got very cold. Worth making sure you understand the system though! up!

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 am

Gromit wrote:Hi Phil

On hook up alone you could grow a beard while you wait for the hot water,

Why is this Dave, have the Truma space/water heater units got a smaller element or a bigger tank than the units in older vans?
When we're on EHU the water is hot enough for two showers in about 15-20 minutes, and on gas alone about ten minutes. I've never tried both at once.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 am

bikeralw wrote:
Gromit wrote:Hi Phil

On hook up alone you could grow a beard while you wait for the hot water,

Why is this Dave, have the Truma space/water heater units got a smaller element or a bigger tank than the units in older vans?
When we're on EHU the water is hot enough for two showers in about 15-20 minutes, and on gas alone about ten minutes. I've never tried both at once.
Al.

Same here. I quite often use just EHU to heat the water and it's ready for a shower easily in 20 minutes. I think the older vans have smaller hot tanks but wouldn't have thought it would make a huge difference.

I whack it up to max temperature which I think is 70C, as then you use more cold water mixed into the flow which prolongs the hot water a tad.
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 47
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

Ours is definitely slower on just electric for initial heat but not that bad. I think but am not sure it prioritises cabin heating before water which could be the reason for delay in cold weather?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:13 am

Hi, I thought it may prioritise for cabin heating. Currently running up the hot water on gas alone for  half an hour, with no cabin heating. Everything seems to be firing ok, In can hear and feel action at the exhaust flue.

I may have been my usual impatient self  tap_fingers

Phil
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 am

Hi All.
               It's Alive!!!!!

Yes as Dave suggested, tried it on gas alone at 60 gave it a half an hour and instant hot water!.  allthumbz

Probably as I stated above expecting hot water and cabin heating so quickly was a bit of challenge.

Must find those instructions, my old Dad used to talk about reading the instructions, I never believed him.  studying

Phil
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Glad you are sorted Phil, and thanks for the feedback.

Al and others, perhaps growing a beard while I wait for hot water was a slight exaggeration, but I can get a nice crop of designer stubble going. snigger

Ours is the Truma 6 which should (in theory) be more than up to the job. It does seem to make a lot of difference whether you ask it to heat the water only, or heat the living area at the same time. On water only it's not too sluggish, but 45 minutes is more like the time needed for plenty of hot water for two showers. Heating both tank and a cold interior at the same time takes a lot longer, which I guess is why the manual suggests using it on combined gas and electricity for the first little while. The priority does seem to be the space heating.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Now we're being encouraged to use our vans all year round, what's the deal with a combo device that can't cope with heating the van space and the hot water at the same time?

We have completely separate hot water and space heating units, each of which can be gas or electric or both together, so we can have hot water and a toasty van in no time.

Seems like another vindication of our decision to hang on to our older van and not update to a later 'more advanced' model.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Same here Roger. We've recently been thinking of getting a newer van, not that we're at all unhappy with our 04 Nuevo, mainly just to keep up with the march of 'progress'. This is why I glean information from posts put up by owners of newer vans.
However, like you I see lots of backward steps, at least from AS. The water/heating seems to be suspect, as is the water filling and inferior pump. Then there's problems with water level indicators, overhead cupboard doors that don't have self-supporting hinges, bed bases that rely on flimsy legs rather than steel roller sliders.
I've not even mentioned digital control panels that continue to baffle and in reality do little more  than the simple to use knobs and switches of previous generation of van...
So yes, I'm also sticking to what I've got and spending my 40k on seeing the world.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 pm

bikeralw wrote:Same here Roger. We've recently been thinking of getting a newer van, not that we're at all unhappy with our 04 Nuevo, mainly just to keep up with the march of 'progress'. This is why I glean information from posts put up by owners of newer vans.
However, like you I see lots of backward steps, at least from AS. The water/heating seems to be suspect, as is the water filling and inferior pump. Then there's problems with water level indicators, overhead cupboard doors that don't have self-supporting hinges, bed bases that rely on flimsy legs rather than steel roller sliders.
I've not even mentioned digital control panels that continue to baffle and in reality do little more  than the simple to use knobs and switches of previous generation of van...
So yes, I'm also sticking to what I've got and spending my 40k on seeing the world.
Al.
My thoughts exactly!  allthumbz

drinksallround
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:13 pm

You lucky people (or something similar from the Life of Brian) I wish I had a hot water system. All I got is the stove kettle. hugegrins  I have a Propex gas space heater and am considering fitting a Truma T22 I think it is. It's basically a heat exchanger. You use the hot air from your heating and reroute  the warm air pipe through the truma heat exchange then into your living space as normal. It also has a 230v emersion heater built in. The down side is you have to run your heating or be on EHU. The up side is not having to make a hole in the van wall for the burner exhaust. Anyone used one?shrugg
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 pm

If you want quick hot water then DO NOT USE the winter setting (ie heating plus hot water). I am fairly sure that this is covered in the manual but a quick look at Truma's FAQ's for the Combi range https://www.truma.com/uk/en/heating/tips-faq.php
shows that it takes about 20 minutes to heat water to 60C with heating off but 80 minutes with it on. QED!

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum