Rear seat belts attachment points

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 pm

I've got a recently-purchased 2005 Symbol with an inertia rear seat-belt (side-facing) on the right-hand side. And another rear one (forward-facing) on the left-hand side. Where should I look for the attachment points (the female points with the red buttons)?
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Carver on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi.
We have a 2003 Symbol so I'm pretty sure that yours is the same base vehicle.  Ours only has one additional belt and that is on the forward facing seat adjacent to the sliding door.  The 'other' end on ours is connected to a short length of seat belt webbing that is stored in the under-seat storage and is bought out when needed.
I have only seen a forth seat on an ES (extra seat) model, but that is also forward facing.  I have not seen a belt associated with the bench seat on a Symbol before.  Autosleepers did fit a lap belt on some of the Topaz models, based on the VWT4, but it is now regarded as unsafe to use them.
I hope this helps.......
avatar
Carver
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 134
Joined : 2014-06-26
Member Age : 54
Location : Midlands
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by -mojo- on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Is yours an ES model? I don't know that one specifically, but other similar models have the bench seat configurable so that part of the base folds to create a forward-facing seat. If so, the buckle will be at the inner rear edge of the bench, when converted. If you look at Symbol ES listings on Ebay you will see an example of one with both rear seat belts deployed.
avatar
-mojo-
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 3686
Joined : 2012-08-04
Member Age : 18
Location : Southeast
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:11 am

-mojo- wrote:Is yours an ES model? I don't know that one specifically, but other similar models have the bench seat configurable so that part of the base folds to create a forward-facing seat. If so, the buckle will be at the inner rear edge of the bench, when converted. If you look at Symbol ES listings on Ebay you will see an example of one with both rear seat belts deployed.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check all this out. I don't think ours is the ES model. it's only got one seat facing fwds at the back. smile!
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by -mojo- on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:12 am

Ant Johnson wrote:
-mojo- wrote:Is yours an ES model? I don't know that one specifically, but other similar models have the bench seat configurable so that part of the base folds to create a forward-facing seat. If so, the buckle will be at the inner rear edge of the bench, when converted. If you look at Symbol ES listings on Ebay you will see an example of one with both rear seat belts deployed.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check all this out. I don't think ours is the ES model. it's only got one seat facing fwds at the back. smile!

If the bench seat is configured as a bench then you will only have one forward-facing seat in the back. If you actually don't have an ES, then I would do an internet search on the legal position of rear seat belts for a van of your age - from memory I'm pretty sure that it cannot be legally used as a seat belt, but I don't have time to go and look it all up again.
avatar
-mojo-
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 3686
Joined : 2012-08-04
Member Age : 18
Location : Southeast
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by pstallwood on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Using a seat belt on a side facing seat is very much frowned on see:-

http://www.cssginfo.co.uk/seat-belts


and

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/buying-owning-seatbelts

for instance.

Peter

_________________
Peter

pstallwood
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 171
Joined : 2016-08-08
Member Age : 71
Location : South
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:11 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Ant Johnson wrote:
-mojo- wrote:Is yours an ES model? I don't know that one specifically, but other similar models have the bench seat configurable so that part of the base folds to create a forward-facing seat. If so, the buckle will be at the inner rear edge of the bench, when converted. If you look at Symbol ES listings on Ebay you will see an example of one with both rear seat belts deployed.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check all this out. I don't think ours is the ES model. it's only got one seat facing fwds at the back. smile!

If the bench seat is configured as a bench then you will only have one forward-facing seat in the back. If you actually don't have an ES, then I would do an internet search on the legal position of rear seat belts for a van of your age - from memory I'm pretty sure that it cannot be legally used as a seat belt, but I don't have time to go and look it all up again.
No, I don't think it's an ES (Extra Seat) either. The seat belt will have been a professional fit, meeting the legal requirements of the time (2005). The pertinent point I guess is whether a passenger is 'safe' in the case of an RTA with that particular type of belt. The law is a separate subject which I will check up on. That said, I'm pretty sure that vehicles built before the year when seat-belts became a legal requirement are not required to have seat-belts retro-fitted to make them meet current requirements. Same with air-bags. Info much appreciated tho. up!
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:22 pm

pstallwood wrote:Using a seat belt on a side facing seat is very much frowned on see:-

http://www.cssginfo.co.uk/seat-belts


and

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/buying-owning-seatbelts

for instance.

Peter

Peter,

Now this is really useful, and very accurately, informative. Much appreciated. Ant
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Paul 300358 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Ours is a 2006 Symbol and exactly the same as Carvers. One forward facing seat in the back with seat belt, no seat belts on the side facing seat. in other words, a three person vehicle.
avatar
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 170
Joined : 2014-08-23
Member Age : 59
Location : Stoke-on-Trent
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by -mojo- on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Ant Johnson wrote:The seat belt will have been a professional fit, meeting the legal requirements of the time (2005). The pertinent point I guess is whether a passenger is 'safe' in the case of an RTA with that particular type of belt. The law is a separate subject which I will check up on. That said, I'm pretty sure that vehicles built before the year when seat-belts became a legal requirement are not required to have seat-belts retro-fitted to make them meet current requirements.

Ok - looks like your van was first registered a few months before the change in legal requirements - though I would not choose to use any sideways-facing travel seat myself.
avatar
-mojo-
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 3686
Joined : 2012-08-04
Member Age : 18
Location : Southeast
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:Ours is a 2006 Symbol and exactly the same as Carvers. One forward facing seat in the back with seat belt, no seat belts on the side facing seat. in other words, a three person vehicle.

Paul, the rules changed in 2007 I'm told. See Peter's links in this thread.

Mine (2005) has a professionally fitted seat-belt on the sideways seat but I still ain't found where it plugs into. Shall; search a bit more diligently in due course. smile!
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Peter Brown on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:11 pm

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai1_HDcUqJgQ2WN1texFlMpGGRRM

I prepared the document at the link above in 2010


Last edited by Peter Brown on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Peter #1
avatar
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Posts : 3570
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 65
Location : Cheadle, Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Peter Brown wrote:http://1drv.ms/1HEUPO0

I prepared the document at the link above in 2010

Can't get the link to work I'm afraid. Is there a www missing or ...?
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Peter Brown on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Its an old link.  It worked for me but I've created a new link and replaced the old one.  Please try again.

_________________
Peter #1
avatar
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Posts : 3570
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 65
Location : Cheadle, Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rear seat belts attachment points

Post by Ant Johnson on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Ah, got it. Many thanks.

Ant
avatar
Ant Johnson
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2017-02-15
Member Age : 65
Location : South Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum