93 executive. Wet carpet outside bathroom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

93 executive. Wet carpet outside bathroom

Post by bassjohn on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi
I have recently bought a 93 executive. We have taken it out a couple of times and on both occasions a wet patch has appeared on the floor in the corner between the toilet door and the cooker cabinet. The inside of the cooker cabinet is also wet. I have removed all the panels I can reach, exposing the pump and water pipes but cannot see anything leaking.

On the last trip I did not use either the shower or the bathroom sink.

Can any budding Sherlock help me solve this mystery?

Thanks
John
bassjohn

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 93 executive. Wet carpet outside bathroom

Post by robbins on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:20 pm

jonn i would get a damp meter and check the rear window and the loo window .we had the same problem ,it turned out the rear widow mastic had dried out and started to leak
robbins

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bassjohn on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks Robbins I will check that when it is light tomorrow.
Cheers
John
bassjohn

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm

I posted this to a similar thread the other day.

On our '95 Exec, we had the same problem. I thought that it was when SWMBO splashed around in the shower.

It turned out to be that the drain bowl behind the fold down sink was blocked and full of water which was slopping over the sides.

If it's the old style sink without a removable bowl you have to unscrew and remove the sink/mirror/splashback to get at it and unblock it.

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Different van but i had a leak near bathroom, it turned out to be the pipe connected to the rear of the cold water tap, it's a push fit and had come loose.
(On Symphony, accessable by removing plywood panel when rear doors open).

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Does your water pump come on occasionally without a tap having been on? We had a problem in roughly the same area of our 1992 executive and found that there was a slight leak where the hose joined the cold tap on the tip up sink. A new jubilee clip solved the problem. Be very careful when taking out the sink as the plastic is fragile. We still have damp in front of the wardrobe but much better than before, it is taking a while to dry out in the winter. The next place to be investigated is the water inlet hose. There is an earlier post on this topic which I found useful trying to solve this problem.
Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IvorC on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 am

Had the same problem when we got our first R reg Executive. Being a newby I had filled the thetford flush water tank to the brim, as a result it was slopping out and wetting the carpet just outside the loo door. A few flushes of the loo cured it and from then onwards only ever fill the tank to about 1.5 inches below the top in the sight glass.  Simple.
IvorC

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Executive - 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bassjohn on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks again for the tips above. We have been away and have worked out that the water appears when we are driving.  I am now going through the process of driving with different tanks in different stages of full and empty to see which combination causes it. 
The cold weather is making it hard as everything takes forever to dry
bassjohn

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:54 pm

We took the drawer out to let us see the water inlet hose and watched as we filled up, no leak to be seen.
The floor under the drawer was also dry alto in front of the drawer was still slightly damp.
Today the damp seems to have dried up. Will be watching carefully when we are away especially if it rains.

Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bassjohn on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm

I think i have now fixed this problem. I have taken the sink out and disconnected it from the water supply, which has allowed me to get rid of one of the 3 way joints from the water supply line. I suspect it was a loose connection on one of the many jubilee clipped joints in this area, but as we do not use the bathroom sink this seems the most simple solution. I am putting the sink back in place, but it is tempting to use the space for an extra cupboard! Maybe a project for when it is winter and I'm not using the van so much. 

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
bassjohn

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 pm

I decided to remove my shower tray today to see if \i could locate a small leak and a faint hint of odour. Holy Moley, I removed the try after a bit of jostling and my god above, the stench was awful. Over the years the odd drop of urine that had escaped the seal had fallen down and rooted itself under the tray. Not really noticeable in the van because it was in contact with the underside of the van more than the interior. I got to work, scrubbed, disinfected, and it didnt work so I got hold of some URINE GONE. One covering and the smell was neutralised and everything smells clean and fresh and everything went back as it came out with new sealant. The loo now smells like a transvestites handbag and Im gonna kill the wife for using some old Givenchy she never wears anymore. Jobs done and all sealed and well worth the effort.

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:52 pm

when we bought our Clubman (new) we had a similar problem (not chuffed) turned out to be a simple fix.
The sight tube for the toilet flush holding tank has a rubber grommet at the top of the tube, this grommet is supposed to be inserted in the body work at the top of the tube holder but wasn't, it was just in the top of the tube.
However, when they took it out of the tube and inserted it into the bodywork then fixed the tube into the holder and onto the grommet, bingo, no more leaks into the van.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum