learns in clubman 1999

View previous topic View next topic Go down

learns in clubman 1999

Post by TEDDYVAN on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi Folks 

Again Im struggling to understand why the vw clubman is so sort after when we all seem to suffer from leaks that we can't sort confused3

mine has been sealed by dealer in every possible way windows, roof ,doors but really I think nobody has the answer so Im faced with the same dilemma if it isn't sorted do I sell ??? but love my van allthumbzallthumbz

can we change these windows ?????? seems a challenge but if you have a panel van you can put windows in so surly it can't be that hard think_smiley_46
also is putting in electric windows hard or expensive ?? had a look on previous  posts any up to date entries or success stories 
anyway after surgery hopefully back on the road in April in the sun f1

travelling old bird from cornwall
TEDDYVAN

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 CLUBMAN GL AUT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: learns in clubman 1999

Post by samleeds on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 pm

mines 25 yrs old and leak free and as solid as a rock.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 am

Sorry to say it, but you can get leaks in almost any van - my Celex (not an A/S) leaked at the VW-fitted sliding windows from brand new, and our Trooper was so bad that we had the factory windows cut out and aftermarket ones fitted.

It can also take a while to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from - both high top windows in the Flair I owned leaked (and were a pain to fix), and a mysterious leak from a roof vent turned out to be a poorly installed screw which had split the casing - again like it from the factory. Finding that one needed a bit of patience (because it only leaked when rain drove in from a specific direction).
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TEDDYVAN on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:33 am

yes of course your all so right so as i love my van will sort it and enjoy 

thanks for replies
TEDDYVAN

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:28 am

You will find more leaks in other style of motor home build, The monocoque  bodies don`t leak, windows may or skylights not the bodies, that is why the clubmans are so sort after and hold their price. plus they are built like a tank. allthumbz

I had a couple of leaks when I first bought mine, in side windows,  this was because  someone didn`t close the windows the correct way, ie. (therefore you get cracks where he hinges are, ) when open you have to lift higher and gently lower, it was a one owner when I bought it.

Windows NOT PULLED SHUT.

I had complete new windows and frames replaced under warranty. Been fine since.

On any van you have to check sealants etc. part of the maintenance, but older Auto-sleepers there are none better. not just my opinion.

Last edited by daisy mae on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added another sentence.)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TEDDYVAN on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am

Yes thats so true I believe mine hasn't been looked after re seals etc its a great van otherwise so have to go through it and decide whether to replace windows 
as mine is out of warranty will have to see how and where I can change windows maybe that is the answer 
hows your electric windows read your previous post re replacement thats something I agree with when you travel on your own with dog what a struggle to open or shut 
so lots of sorting to do 
what fun 
broomstick allthumbz allthumbz
TEDDYVAN

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 pm

If you have the cracks in the windows good idea to replace, although this is not a cheap exercise by any means, windows were £600 + in 2013 when I bought my van, then there is the fitting. if it is the sliding windows on yours that are leaking they probably are cheaper. I think someone on here did replace theirs. so opening by lifting wouldn`t apply to your side windows, sorry, wasn`t in gear when I replied.

The electric windows were in my case essential, so I don`t consider that mod a waste of money. they are brilliant, well worth it.

In my van the wiring loom is there for cruise control, just need control on steering wheel, not one I will consider. not worth it to me.

There are some things that you can do yourself, if finding all info out before hand, habitation  electrics, I steer clear of, apart from changing light bulbs to LEC`s and replacing toilet pump. engine electrics a no go for me.

It`s a great hobby enjoy ,the worlds your oyster. up!
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TEDDYVAN on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks Margaret I shall you too wave

Anne
TEDDYVAN

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:26 pm

The previous owner of ours replaced the seals on both side windows.  Aparently they're available from AS spares department.  
Our leak looks to be from the water heater. Took it out and replaced the connectors and safety valve and tank seals, but i think i need to reseal it into the van body.
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VWClubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TEDDYVAN on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 am

thanks
TEDDYVAN

Female

View user profile