The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual Gas Alarm Advice

4 posters

Go down

Dual Gas Alarm Advice Empty Dual Gas Alarm Advice

Post by rbullingham Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi All

I am looking at fitting a dual gas alarm into our VW Trident which detects Carbon Monoxide, LPG etc, I have seen a couple on the market, the Sola-larm model SLA863 - http://www.sola-larm.com/sla863.html or Trio Gas Alarm - http://www.outdoorbits.com/trio-gas-alarm-p-1099.html, however I am unable to find any reviews.

As anyone out there had any experience or advice with either of these alarms or have any other suggestions

Many Thanks

Rob
rbullingham
rbullingham

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down

Dual Gas Alarm Advice Empty Re: Dual Gas Alarm Advice

Post by ASOF Staff Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Hello Rob

I cant help with any reviews - but these dual gas alarms appear to be the same as the Sola-larm SLA-862 and seem a very good price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110791885343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Not too sure about these dual alarms as they contradict each other as to fixing positions. A CO detector should be placed at approx 1.5 metres above floor level and LPG detectors should be place low down as this gas is heavier than air. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clear this up.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:23 am

Paulmold wrote:Not too sure about these dual alarms as they contradict each other as to fixing positions. A CO detector should be placed at approx 1.5 metres above floor level and LPG detectors should be place low down as this gas is heavier than air. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clear this up.

Correct on all fronts.

Carbon monoxide is the real killer as it is colourless and odourless; and therefore deserves priority.

The ethyl mercaptans introduced to butane and propane should give adequate warning of a gas leak well before the +/- 2% level of flammable gas required to create an explosive mixture occurs. (In my experience, even after a lifetime of smoking, it only takes a tiny amount of gas to make me feel sick; so the chances of sleeping through a leak are slim!)

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by rbullingham Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks all for your advise, and I have taken on the board the issue with the sensor locations, I agree that CO is the priority and will probably just go with a single CO alarm

Cheers

Rob
rbullingham
rbullingham

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down