Seeking advice on the AS Talisman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seeking advice on the AS Talisman

Post by fellow traveller on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 am

Hello all,

I"ve just joined the forum. I'm not yet an owner of an auto sleeper but am hoping to be very soon. I just want to make sure I take the time to research which one is going to suit us best. The model that I'm thinking of buying is the Talisman. One of the main questions I have is about the overhead bed in the 4 berth. I haven't managed to find any Talisman for sale anywhere near me in Brighton so haven't been inside one yet. 

I'd like to know whether it's realistic for 2 adults to use the overhead bed and whether people add a mattress on top of the boards? I can't quite tell from photos what the boards are made of. Also, would it work to leave the overhead bed set up whilst driving? 

I was looking last night at different Talismans and noticed some of the ones in the late 90's have a bit more height in the bodywork above the overhead bed space, where as the early 90's ones have a flat roof (in profile). I imagine then that there would be more space in the overhead bed area with a later model? Is that right?

A second question is about whether to get a petrol or diesel and what the related issues with each option are.

I'd really appreciate any advice or knowledge anyone has about this.

Sorry it ended up being a rather long post!

best wishes
Kathryn
fellow traveller

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seeking advice on the AS Talisman

Post by Paulmold on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:53 am

As far as I'm aware, none of the overhead beds in any Autosleeper are designed for use by 2 adults, only one adult or two children. mattresses should be supplied with any overhead model.
Owners of such monocoque models may help further.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Talisman John on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 pm

We have a 2004 Talisman which is based on a Peugeot Boxer 2.8.
We have the configuration that has a bench seat on one side and forward/backward facing seats on the other side therefore we only have 3 seats with belts in total. We have only taken one passenger and haven't tried to have 2 adults sleeping in the over cab. The passenger was a granddaughter and the bed was suitable from age 6 to 12 but we don't regard it as suitable for 2 or even one adult unless very very small. It would be ok for two small children but then not enough belted seats!!
It has two mattresses (which can be removed)but I know that some owners opted to not have them included when first purchased.
You can drive easily with the bed opened out but you tend to hit your head a few times!!
John

Talisman John
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Welcome to the forum.   IMO the overcab bed is suitable for children or 1very small adult 
I presume you after a Boxer based one and not the Talbot Express one
The 2.5 TD or the 2.8 are best engine options. The others you may find sluggish,particularly climbing

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fellow traveller on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:41 pm

Thank you all for your replies. It's very helpful. 
In terms of the base I was thinking of the Talbot but nothing is fixed at this point! 
What I was hoping was that there was a way to have a bed ready made in the vehicle rather than re-structuring the whole thing each night as we want to do some long trips. We also have 2 dogs that need their own space too! I like the way the Talisman can be configured with one bench seat and two seats opposite each other with the table in between. I was just hoping the overhead bed would be a proper bed. I have to say I love the look of these auto sleepers too. It looks like they may not give us what we're looking for though sadly.

Are there other auto sleepers people can recommend that would provide a double bed that could be left in situ as well as a dining area, kitchen etc? Budget is up to £12,000. Perhaps I'm being over ambitious!
Thanks again for the responses.
best wishes 
Kathryn
fellow traveller

Female

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

fellow traveller wrote:Thank you all for your replies. It's very helpful. 
In terms of the base I was thinking of the Talbot but nothing is fixed at this point! 
What I was hoping was that there was a way to have a bed ready made in the vehicle rather than re-structuring the whole thing each night as we want to do some long trips. We also have 2 dogs that need their own space too! I like the way the Talisman can be configured with one bench seat and two seats opposite each other with the table in between. I was just hoping the overhead bed would be a proper bed. I have to say I love the look of these auto sleepers too. It looks like they may not give us what we're looking for though sadly.

Are there other auto sleepers people can recommend that would provide a double bed that could be left in situ as well as a dining area, kitchen etc? Budget is up to £12,000. Perhaps I'm being over ambitious!
Thanks again for the responses.
best wishes 
Kathryn
We had a 1994 Talbot base Talisman. I did sleep 'upstairs' once or twice but the clearance between bed and roof is limited. I was 20 years younger then and it was OK for one. I doubt I'd find it so easy to get in and out of it now! Two adults could sleep up there but it's only long enough if you sleep side to side, so whoever goes in first stays there unless you both get out? My kids slept up there until the oldest was about 13 then they opted for Pup tents outside, for personal privacy rather than space, I think.

You could leave the bed up during the day but it would restrict standing height in the lounge area but not the kitchen / wash room end.

If you really intend to go for a Talbot make sure you drive it first. These things are peculiar compared to modern vehicles: Noisy, lack power yet slurp fuel, very long gear stick, accelerator peddle that will give you ankle ache after 20 miles. Diesel's best but 'turbo' models are rare, need power steering ideally, easy to get stuck, even on wet grass let alone mud (so take rubber mats / tracks at all times). 

The caravan part inside and out is great and being an A/S it will probably be easy to find one where this part is superb. Chassis / cab areas in good fettle will be harder to find as production stopped in 94/95 year (L and M reg.).

Feel free to ask more questions and I'll try and help.
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rimini & Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cazman on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Welcome to the forum katheryn. I have a pollensa model same configuration mine has 4 traveling seatbelts
i am 6 foot tall and sleep above the cab
Dave

Male

Auto-Sleeper : pollensa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum