The new motorhome club ????

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The new motorhome club ????

Post by samleeds on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:31 pm

The Caravan club has now changed its name to the Caravan and motorhome club. Same as before, just re branded. I am with the Camping and caravan club and have been for many years and never considered the Caravan and Motorhome club (as is now). Some people, like my mate, are members of both, but to date, I cant see any merit in joining both, or even changing.

Are there any preferential views out there and what are the benefits to us, if at all. We mainly DA camp and go to the cheaper cl sites, but this year we are going to do Europe, so maybe some advice would be useful, thanks.

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new motorhome club ????

Post by dbroada on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:44 pm

We are members of the C&MC but don't see any real advantage in belonging. We do use a site of their which is very local to us if we want to test something but that is the only real benefit.

We have been touring the continent for about 15 years quite happily without club membership and can't see any advantage one will give us. I use the ACSI book/app or Goggle to find sites.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:15 pm

dbroada wrote:We have been touring the continent for about 15 years quite happily without club membership and can't see any advantage one will give us. I use the ACSI book/app or Goggle to find sites.
Me too, but for more like 45 years, and Dave is quite correct. Even if it's your first time abroad with the van, don't be tempted by any of the club tours. They are eye-wateringly expensive compared to doing your own planning, and you are stuck with their itinerary whether you want to deviate or not. As far as I can see, all they really do is book you onto expensive sites for a set period each, so you are manacled to their planning.

If you are (understandably) a bit nervous my advice would be to book your first night if it would reassure you, and by lunchtime on the second day you will be wondering why you were at all concerned. Get Maps.Me for the smart phone (free) and install the files for aires, municipals, LPG garages, etc., and you won't need much more. It has GPS positioning and each of the pushpins has GPS co-ordinates which you can easily put into the satnav. (Maps.Me does have a routing facility, but it doesn't pretend to be a satnav.)

As Dave mentioned, ACSI is excellent if you are going out of the main season (which is quite short in France) and the App is an absolute bargain for about €4.50. It also has GPS location, and contains far more easily accessible information than the books, plus user reviews of most of their sites.

Hope this helps.

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Gromit wrote:
dbroada wrote:We have been touring the continent for about 15 years quite happily without club membership and can't see any advantage one will give us. I use the ACSI book/app or Goggle to find sites.
Me too, but for more like 45 years,
Just to clarify, that's 15 years with a van, more like 40 years with a car and tent. snigger

I had forgotten about the clubs tours. I looked once, saw the price and removed them from my memory.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:12 pm

We have remained a member of both clubs for many years now, mainly for the extra choice of site locations, especially CLs/CSs but also club sites heading north and in Scotland.

Like others here we mainly use ACSI listed or preferably discounted sites during our trips to France once or twice a year.  Just to clarify on Dave's excellent advice above, whilst the app is very good you also need to buy the books to benefit from the discount on sites as the discount card is included with those, the app alone won't qualify you.

I also used to buy the ACSI software on disc and used that on the laptop in preference to the books for site selection and location - it remains to be seen whether the app is as good.

cheers
Roger

PS I did ask the C&CC on Twitter the other day if they were considering becoming the Camping, Caravanning & Motorhoming Club and they Liked it!
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm waiting to see what they are specifically doing for motorhomers or is this just badge engineering?  Compared to France motorhome facilities in this country are nothing less than dire and we are treated like travellers if we don't want to use sites.  I'm not holding my breath.
Rich..
RML

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm

We are in both and have been for years. Both have their own benefits.   If you rally then the C&CC wins as there is no need for advance booking for the majority of rallies.
Regarding Europe no need for worries.  You will get plenty of advice of here.   When we first went we stuck to Normandy and Brittany before venturing further south then to other countries

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm

rogerblack wrote:Just to clarify on Dave's excellent advice above, whilst the app is very good you also need to buy the books to benefit from the discount on sites as the discount card is included with those, the app alone won't qualify you.
Thanks Roger.

You can't get the App to work without buying the books. You can download it, but without the activation code on the edge of the discount card (in the flyleaf of the second book) it won't allow you do download any maps, so it's useless. The initial download does allow you to have a look at a small area, presumably so you can decide if you like the look of it.

We do still take the books but only as a backup. The App is so much better and more convenient - wouldn't be without it now.

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:57 pm

HOWEVER, there are 2 ACSI apps. The one you use with the discount card and one that you buy (rent?) site maps for groups of countries. This is what I used before I got the book. It includes sites that don't offer the discount so (I think) has more sites shown. You can download the maps before you leave home but beware, they only work for one year and you have to pay for them and download them again.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:48 pm

samleeds wrote:Some people, like my mate, are members of both, but to date, I cant see any merit in joining both, or even changing.

Are there any preferential views out there and what are the benefits to us.

In general I prefer CAMC sites and use that club to insure 3 vehicles, book tunnel crossings, Mayday UK and Red Pennant European cover.  I'm very happy with all that and think membership is excellent value for money.

Our favourite site though is C&CC Derwent Water, the savings we make on fees at that site alone recover the subs but then we do also make use of other C&CC sites and CS's that have a better geographic location for our trip.  Should we ever get the time, many of our friends use the C&CC holiday meet temporary sites usually very well located and excellent value.

I'm sure we will continue to belong to both clubs.

PS Also ACSI sites and the app are highly recommended. The app on Chris's Ipad was a star when we had brake problems and needed to find a site (any would have done) late on.

Last edited by Peter Brown on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS added)

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Likewise we belong to both clubs and use both site networks as well as CL & CS 

Also have been on rallies with both organisations I think for a couple of pounds a week it's good value

Never been a lover of therecin house magazines (I think the CCC have stopped them now)

Happy Motorhoming 

Terry

Eltel

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:24 pm

We are in both main clubs for the extra choice of sites, both club sites and the CL/CS networks. We soon recover the costs through the discounts you get at retailers such as Go Outdoors and Mountain Warehouse were even sale items get the discount. Little to choose between quality of club sites except we get old fogies discount with the C&CC which away from high season usually makes them cheaper than the CAMC.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Same as Paul, in both clubs ,however this year we have purchased the Britstops book and looking forward to using some of the pub sites shortly.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Gromit Post 2179

Alltough Gromit points out the costs for going on a organised trip abroad are not cheap  I feel there are many Motorhome owners who have not ventured abroad for many reasons (Including me)

In my case traveling in a group has its benefits especially if the unexpected happens, yes it is more organised and expensive,  but often organised trips suit some people including me.

So which ever you travel abroad there are pros & cons 

Happy Motorhoming 

Terry

Eltel

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Lots of good advice on here about touring abroad.
Once you do it you'll never want to spend time in the UK again. I know there's lots of interesting places in our home country, but life's too short, go while you're still fit.
We started continental touring on a motorbike 25 years ago once the kids had flown the nest, and over the next 15 years we rode as far south as Morocco and as far east as Hungary, my wife refuses to do north!
Motor homing abroad opens up even more horizons, all you need are the ACSI books, good maps, a sat nav and last but not least the Motorhome Guide Camperstop Europe, which covers every aire.
Al.

Last edited by bikeralw on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Terry,do your own thing man, keep on truckin.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 pm

We're in both clubs. CC for what Paulmold calls the old fogies discount and I'm not sure why we're in the other one. 

We're currently on our way home from three months in Spain and Portugal. We've been on three CCC winter rallies, two for three weeks and one for two weeks. We think they're exceptional value, one we paid less than £9 a night for a lovely site in the Algarve. Other people we spoke to paid about £12, which is still cheap, going independently. There are lots of things you can join in on the rallies but you're not obliged to join any of them. 

We booked our tunnel crossing with the CCC which was very cheap, and our insurances and breakdown cover with the CC because it was considerably cheaper.

It's horses for courses obviously but the more things you take advantage of from each club it eventually pays for itself and more.

Nora

Traficlady

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 pm

I was a member of CCC for six years, only because it gave access to their CLs. In that time we booked several channel crossings through them and used CLs about 4 times. We stayed at one of their expensive sites for two nights one year, nothing special for the premium price was our opinion.
Maybe a savings of £50 over the six years, obviously nowhere near enough to get our subs back. Plus their boring magazine ended up in the recycling bin unopened most months.
I've now cancelled my subs and joined Britstops, far more up my street when looking for a stop off in the UK.
Having tried the rallying scene once I made my mind up never again under any circumstances..
Like you say, horses for courses.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:09 am

Been a member of CCC for 30 years or so. Like it for the temporary holiday sites in particular. We don't rally but have always been made welcome when joining rally weekends. These are organised by district associations and welcome visitors from other districts so you can join in anywhere. Have occasionally used their club sites but rather pricey in my opinion.
Joined CC last year mainly for one site in Scotland near to where my son lives. It's easier to book CC club sites in my opinion. Just book and pay when you get there. No deposit, no rules about booking 3 nights when you only want 1 like CCC adopted a couple of years back. Increases the number of CL type sites available to you. Also it seems to me there's more CC club sites close to large towns than in CCC. Don't tour abroad so no opinion on what's offered there. Equally happy with both clubs, pros and cons in both.
rogersrimini

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Redwink on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 am

If like rogersrimini, you have been a member of c&cc for over 25 years, you get the membership fee for half price, not sure if they tell you that
Redwink

Male

Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.motorhomesnippets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

I think you have to be over 65 as well to qualify. It is called veteran membership. Very difficult to find on the website. The word veteran is key in using the search tool to find out about it.

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:06 am

Redwink wrote:If like rogersrimini, you have been a member of c&cc for over 25 years, you get the membership fee for half price, not sure if they tell you that

And reduced rates on club sites at certain times  allthumbz

Thanks Redwink.
rogersrimini

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:18 am

You don't have to have been a member for 25 years to get 'age concession' rates, just over the age of 60 (it used to be 55 and still applies if you were that age when they changed the rules).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:23 am

To clarify: Veteran member: The main member (first named) should be 65 years of age and have completed 25 years continuous membership of the Club. If you're aged 60 or over (and a Club member) you could be claiming an additional 25% off Club Site pitch fees in all seasons except high season.

Being a 'youngster' I only qualify for the latter.

I believe 'free' membership of CC is available if you've been in a long time. I don't have the details but I know my inlaws qualify. wave

Sorry for shouting, caused by copy and paste from CCC site.

Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stop the shouting)
rogersrimini

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 pm

You may be thinking of "Life Membership" of the CC (now CAMC).  I became a life member for £50 about 40 years ago when they offered it for a very short window of time.  They realised that it was going to cost them money when interest rates dropped and discontinued it for new entrants.  Obviously they had to honour existing "Lifers" memberships - and still do!  And I also get free family membership for Mrs Ron. I have not yet been asked to confirm that I am still alive!

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum