Mechanical update on my Amethyst

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mechanical update on my Amethyst

Post by GrahamSwindley on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Dear All,
I bought a 2000 build, 2002 reg Amethyst in November. Finally got round to trying it over a distance at February half term and the camping side of it is great. Not so keen on the early TDDI engine and 5 speed box with 4.63 final drive.  Such a lot of clatter for so little torque, particularly in the driving seat.  Also 70mph too buzzy at 3000rpm.
So I have bitten the bullet and bought a written off 63 plate 2.2 6 speed Transit 350 with a 3.91 axle and am having a local garage transfer EVERY mechanical and electronic part from the 63 plate van to my 51 Autosleeper.  Wish me luck.  I realise that this is very "brave" in terms of yes minister but the hope is for a modern drive with all the benefits of the Amethyst. 
N.B. I could have gone right down to 3.31 final drive but I intend to tow quite a weight with it and wish to retain its 2 tonne towing capacity.
GrahamSwindley

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst SL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mechanical update on my Amethyst

Post by Paramedic on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Congratulations for your ingenuity to do the refit. Obviously you have a background knowledge to succeed with this project. Hope all goes well and keep us up to date on your progress. Regards

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:55 am

Proper engineering!
All the best - look forward to hearing how it all pans out.
Liam
Liam

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Let us know how it works out

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Please furnish with geeky info and pictures. I'm sure if you do it, others will copy.
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:02 am

think_smiley_46 You are a brave man and I hope it works out as intended. We moved from a Mk5 Transit, 2.5 DI to a 55 plate Mk6 2.4 so the difference to me was enough to keep me happy. I will admit the large body of the Rienza is noticeable some times but I am not in any rush so I can put up with it. Sixty five MPH gives me quite a good MPG so that will do.
An ex motor trade friend works for a tuning and fuel system company and has looked at mine regarding re chipping or altering  the fueling  but  the 2.4 of my era isnt worth the cost.  Run it on decent fuel and put fuel system cleaner through  it once a year made a noticeable difference. 
Keep the Fords rolling, we know whats best. content

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trophyman on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Interesting discussion here...I am a new Transit owner having just sold my VW Trophy and got the fab Autosleeper Amethyst on a 1996 Transit banana engine auto box.  First thing I notice driving home was that it won't win a prize for speed or power. Going up moderate inclines it was thought getting above 50 mph even with pedal to the metal.  I wonder if this is normal for the Transit of that vintage and if I have any options to increase power a bit without the grand idea of putting a new engine in.
Trophyman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 pm

If it's the 2.5 TDi engined variant - no, that is not normal.

I owned a Flair based on that engine and the 4-speed auto box and it was not like that at all. It was not rapid (84BHP or thereabouts IIRC) but it would keep up with the traffic on moderate inclines. I don't recall ever needing the pedal to the metal, other than possibly once or twice on slightly misjudged overtakes (along with some buttock clenching - but that's probably more information than you need). On steep hills, manual downchanges on the auto box were needed to keep progress reasonable, but that's to be expected with that much weight on board.

I'm probably not the best person to advise on likely causes, as in 10 years of owning it I never had any problems other than seized rear brake pistons (which I considered routine maintenance on a decade old van).

I would start by looking at the standard stuff, such as what state the air filter is in (though on a diesel I think it would have to be desperately bad to have that much effect). If there's smoke I'd suspect the EGR valve - otherwise I'd take a wild guess at the fuel pump under-delivering. The latter is quite a well-known issue, though mine behaved itself fine.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trophyman on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks Mojo, appreciate the feedback. I have only had the Amethyst since Friday so it is early days, but my understanding is that it is a non turbo engine. I'll certainly follow up the ideas you've suggested, thanks.
Trophyman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Ah, Ok - I guess it must have been made very shortly before the turbo engine was brought in then. Sorry - no direct experience of one of those - our previous Transit was petrol.

[Edit - if you're not manually downchanging on the box and it's staying in 4th too long I would have the kickdown setting checked out.]
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 am

I count myself lucky to have acquired a 2 liter vw petrol engine in mine. Ive driven all the diesel versions from 2 l up to 2.6 l turbos and my vw delivers well enough to cope and its a heck of a lot quieter and whilst its not going to hit 90 mph. Im quite happy toddling along at 55 and enjoying the ride even if i arrive 15 min later than the speedsters. If I need it, I can hit 70 in a breath but why........too many people are in a hurry these days, I just leave 15 mins earlier and enjoy the ride.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamSwindley on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Mojo,
Yes MOJO, you have one of the renowned banana engines. They are noisy and lack power but are indestructible, probably will go to the moon and back. Unfortunately there is little compatibility between your generation and more recent transits so any upgrade would be a major undertaking. Not that mine is minor. . . . Ford started afresh with a completely new engine in 2000. My rebuild is mid-way now. Neither vehicle has engine or box. Just held up waiting for DMF, clutch, and slave cylinder since the donor vehicle dmf was worn out. I will try to get some pics tomorrow.
GrahamSwindley

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GrahamSwindley on Tue May 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Here are some photos of the work in progress

Mk 7 inner wings ready to weld onto Autosleeper
Engine bay of Autosleeper almost ready for new mk 7 engine

New Engine waiting to go in.  Notice new DMF fitted as precaution 
GrahamSwindley

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch on Tue May 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Taking shape big thumbs up
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by harry h on Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Good project. May be worth cleaning inlet manifold plus EGR valve while engine out.
harry h

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Air con retro fit PHOTO HELP PLEASE

Post by GrahamSwindley on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19 pm

As my Amethyst re-build nears completetion I am attempting to complete the retrofit of air con.  The problem lies in where to install the pump.  I had thought that it reside at the lower near side of the engine block but the mounting holes on the pump do not match the casting lugs there.
Ones anyone have a photograph of a factory Ford Transit 2.2 RWD Air con installation?
Thanks
Graham
GrahamSwindley

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum