Water safety

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Water safety

Post by constable on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Now Truma have withdrawn Aquastar 3, which one could add to the freshwater tank to keep the water safe to drink, does anyone know what to use in its place. We fill our tank at the start of the season and then constantly top up. Aquastar3 was added on occasion to keep the water safe. What do I use now????????.  Puriclean is used to clean the tank before use but can one add it to existing water?
constable

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Water safety

Post by rogerblack on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Firstly, why do you think the water in the fresh tank wouldn't be safe to drink?  Assuming you always fill it from potable water sources, which are usually already treated to remain safe, it should be OK, as long as you don't leave it in the tank for months on end between uses. Particularly so as you follow normal good practice in treating your fresh water tank once or twice a year with Puriclean ( others use Zappy's tabs or any of the similar methods detailed in many previous threads).

Having said that, although we drank water straight from our fresh tank for some years with no ill effects, we have recently been following the practice we use at home which is to pass drinking water through a Britta filter jug.  This is mainly to minimise the effects of hard water on our kettle, coffee maker, etc. and avoid scum on hot drinks but also to eliminate any taste from over-chlorination.  We tend to fill the jug filter straight from the tap if it's nearby, if not we have a 10 litre container we use to top up the onboard tank when not using a hose and we tend to keep the last fill in that for topping up the Britta.

Another alternative is to use only bottled water for drinking, especially now that it is so readily available and much cheaper than before. Note though that leaving an opened part consumed container of bottled water for a length of time has more potential for becoming unpalatable than tap water as it is untreated.

If in doubt, just treat your mouth and innards afterwards with a good dose of the aqua vitae / Uisge Beatha /water of life  a.k.a.whisky which has proven antiseptic effects!

drinksallround
cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:55 pm

rogerblack wrote:

If in doubt, just treat your mouth and innards afterwards with a good dose of the aqua vitae / Uisge Beatha /water of life  a.k.a.whisky which has proven antiseptic effects!

drinksallround
cheers
Roger

That works for me....

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:29 pm

constable wrote:Now Truma have withdrawn Aquastar 3, which one could add to the freshwater tank to keep the water safe to drink, does anyone know what to use in its place. We fill our tank at the start of the season and then constantly top up. Aquastar3 was added on occasion to keep the water safe. What do I use now????????.  Puriclean is used to clean the tank before use but can one add it to existing water?
Use a product by Elsan 
called Elsil we have used this for a number of years this is what the use for passenger aircraft.

Alf
Alf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 pm

In 14 years of motorhoming we've never seen the need for any additive to the fresh water in the tank. I clean the tank out with Puriclean or similar after the winter lay up, during tours it's always topped up with potable water. In between trips everything is drained down, I never leave standing water in the system when we're not using the van.
So far we've never had any problems.
Al
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 am

bikeralw wrote:In 14 years of motorhoming we've never seen the need for any additive to the fresh water in the tank. I clean the tank out with Puriclean or similar after the winter lay up, during tours it's always topped up with potable water. In between trips everything is drained down, I never leave standing water in the system when we're not using the van.
So far we've never had any problems.
Al
We are the same, although if only a couple of weeks between trips I don't drain and have never cleaned tanks in any of the vans. I do have a permanent filter in the cold line to the kitchen tap but often drink unfiltered from the bathroom. Never had any problems with taste of health attributable to drinking water from the van tank.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 am

If you need any more reassurance, we've also always done the same as Al and Peter. up!

I do qive the system a two hour soak with Zappy's tablets after the brief winter lay-up (did it on Monday as it happens) but that's all the cleaning I've ever done.

I fitted an in-line filter like Peter's on the second hand vans we had, but haven't bothered since we retired and were able to afford a new one. Water is treated before you get it anyway, so there's no reason why it should become unsafe to drink if you observe the common sense precautions they suggested.

A couple of weeks in the tank between trips is no more likely to cause problems than going away for a month and constantly topping up. By the end of the trip a percentage of the water in the tank will be a month old! If I do drain down between trips I never bother to drain the boiler, just the fresh water tank, but only then if we can't get away for a month or more.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:20 pm

In case you need any more views on this - I've done the same as the above for many, many years with no ill effects (even with the conversions from decades ago where the water tanks had large overflow holes cut in the top). I never use water treatments of any sort, nor any filters.

I always drain down at the end of each trip, and refill at the first destination site at the start of each new trip - but that's more to do with not wanting to carry 70-80 kilos of water around everywhere than to do with water safety.

Also, bear in mind that if you go away for a month, when you get back home, chances are that the water in your home system will have been sitting in the pipes, or in a tank in the loft, for a month! It never seems to do anyone any harm...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum