Classic?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Classic?

Post by biffobear on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:20 am

quick_run Hi classics,  I never really thought about this before so I would like to know is my A/S Montana  pop top Mercedes diesel from 1998 considered to be a classic? I bought it back in 2015 from Greenaways who used to be a forum member. I'd just sold my A/S Symbol as I was going to build my own Fiat Doblo camper but when I saw the Montana I thought why bother. These old Vito,s drive like a car, all be it a very slow car and A/S turned the Mercedes Vito into a really smart looking vehicle and very practical as well. The biggest expense has been a bottom half respray but no welding or filler needed. It just looked a bit tatty around the front wheel arches. I've fitted   a few extras to update it a bit such as Mercedes period 16" alloy wheels and clear indicator lights on the front and sides plus replaced the rear light units with LED units from Germany.  Added few bits of bling, stainless steel mirrors and door handles etc plus a Truma shower outlet and mirror just inside the back door. Pretty much the same as the A/S Wave. I have re varnished the hard wood trim on the cabinets and replaced the "brass" push button handles. So looks like new inside. Mechanically it's is very good, a drive shaft, glow plugs (diesel) and filters. Any suitable classic meeting coming up after May? If you are tempted to re varnish the hard wood trim and don't want to change from the original look, remove the old varnish with Nitromores & a stainless steel wire pan scourer. Mask up the door panels before hand. Then 3 coats of satin clear varnish and not light oak as this will darken the wood.
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Classic?

Post by newterry on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:12 am

Hi Biffo,
I've got a Montana Hi-top brochure from 1998 that I'd be happy to scan in for you and send over on a PM.
Terry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 am

Hi Terry that would be brilliant if you could. There is not much information on the Montana available so everything helps. They are a great little van and much better than the new Wave based on the Mercedes Vito now. I've had mine since Autumn 2015 and have been bringing it back up to "as new plus" and is really coming together now. Just needs the water tanks cleaning etc and new graphics along the bottom of the doors. Many thanks. Ken
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 am

Ken,
Send me a pm so I've got your e-mail address and I'll send over a scan of the 1998  brochure and the extract from the 1999 AS factory magazine.
I now have more than 30 AS magazines and brochures snatched from the hands of the e-bay bandits so that I can provide this kind of service . 'Davy' has also provided links on his website to those I've already scanned.
Happy to help.
Terry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: