Electronic ignition conversion kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Electronic ignition conversion kit

Post by Mike26 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi, I would like to update the ignition system on my van to an electronic ignition conversion kit, some say on a well known auction site that you only need to replace the rotor arm in the distributor or replace the coil as well, not to mention the vacuum pump also. At the moment their is a ducellier distributor fitted, can anybody point me in the right direction, thanks in anticipation... confused3
Mike26

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Renault Traffic T100
Vehicle Year : 1986

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronic ignition conversion kit

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington ,what model of autosleeper is your traffic.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Member Boxerman is our resident Trafic expert. I'm sure he'll be along to help.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Number One - I ain't no expert!
Mike26 wrote:Hi, I would like to update the ignition system on my van to an electronic ignition conversion kit, some say on a well known auction site that you only need to replace the rotor arm in the distributor or replace the coil as well, not to mention the vacuum pump also. At the moment their is a ducellier distributor fitted, can anybody point me in the right direction, thanks in anticipation... confused3

What you have said so far is causing me some confusion.
Petrol engines do not usually have vacuum pumps and I fail to see any reason to change the rotor arm.

I am guessing that your engine is either the 1397 or 1647 unit as the others had electronic ign as standard. The simplest solution is to fit what is known as a Transistor Assisted Contacts system - sometimes known as an inductive system where you connect your box of tricks and keep the points. The box of tricks handles all the ignition current and the points just act like a very low current switch.
I can recommend the Boyer unit as I have used them on my own and friends vehicles . I am not saying that they are the best available but I have used them and experienced good results. Others may be better but I don't have any experience of others apart from a Vellman kit which worked fine but needed soldering together first.
Boyer Here
Vellman kit Here

These systems will still use your A/R bobweghts and vacuum advance system along with the standard CB points. As the points carry virtually no current they do not burn away and the gap is unimportant provided the points open at the right time. As a transistor switches the current to the coils, the switching is much faster than by mechanical means so you get a stronger spark.
There are also Capacitive discharge units which may or may not keep the points. These give a very powerful but very fast spark [so fast, you cannot always see it] which is not best suited for older style slow revving engines.

If you want to do away with the points completely then you need to decide whether to go magnetic sensing or infra red sensing - if these types of kit are still available. They are also more complex to fit and set up.

Pls get back to us with more details
Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top