The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"?

4 posters

Go down

Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"? Empty Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"?

Post by alfa_scud Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:38 pm

This is a weird one, not sure if anyone else has experienced it or not, but......

When using my DAB radio (seems only to be DAB, not FM...I think), if one of us plugs our phone charger into the 12v socket in the hab area......or one of the two in the cab area when driving, the signal disappears! Initially I thought it was just bad signal, but we've been sat listening to a really strong signal, plug the charger in and....off it goes. Unplug and radio plays again.

As I said, also on one of the two in the cab area, but strangely OK on the other one.....hmmm weird I say. I've tried a couple of cigarette lighter type chargers and they both do it. Plugging directly into USB is fine though.

Has anyone had anything similar, or can shed light on it at all?

As an aside, and completely unrelated, we appear to have a "cold spot" in the rear cupboard under the sink. We're really impressed with the insulation on the van but when it's been cold, anything in that cupboard that is glass metal (wine, beer, the safe!) has been wet through with condensation (it's definitely not a leak from the sink). Stuff in the drawers next to cupboard are fine, as are the pans under the cooker and the cutlery under the sink...it's just this cupboard.

It's in the rear n/s corner on the Nuevo, so there's no fridge vents etc for draughts, but I'm wondering if there's insulation missing etc?

Again...any ideas?

Much appreciated up!
alfa_scud
alfa_scud

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK Peugeot
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"? Empty Re: Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"?

Post by Paramedic Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Recall our former 2008 Nuevo had the same problem in the bottom cupboard under the sink. We were alerted to blue green mould on the floor and up the sides. It was easily removed with a damp cloth and dealer examination did not highlight water ingress. Our lovely old dog at the time would fall down in the inner step so would leave both lower doors open across the step. We concluded that the warm air from the heater readily condensed on the cold interior floor of the cupboard due to poor insulation?

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"? Empty Re: Peugeot DAB radio possible "interference"?

Post by -mojo- Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Excessive interference from plug-in power supplies, USB power supplies and LED drivers is a well-known issue. Essentially it's because they are mainly made by Chinese manufacturers who cut the component count to the absolute minimum to maximise profits. They leave out the components that should be there to stop the power supply creating interference - both radiated (effectively it becomes a radio transmitter) and conducted out onto the van's wiring.

Not much you can do other than to replace with alternatives - which hopefully will be better implemented.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by njr001 Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:57 pm

I too had problems even on FM with various USB chargers having lost the original TomTom charger admittedly in my car. I finally purchased another TomTom compact car charger and the interference problem disappeared.
njr001

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by alfa_scud Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks for that information - I had a sneaky suspicion it could be substandard charging plugs but they work OK in the car with DAB which confuses things somewhat. I'll swallow the pill and pay an extra fiver for a decent one and see what happens up!
alfa_scud
alfa_scud

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK Peugeot
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down