removing furniture from Duetto?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

removing furniture from Duetto?

Post by WillT on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello,

Our elderly Duetto has only done 90000 miles but has developed quite serious rust problems behind sills and under the floor in one place.

Most of the really problematic stuff that may affect MOT is accessible but there is one patch underneath the fridge where board is visible.

I have an intake of breath quote for the work which is probably quite fair. In any case the van is mechanically sound and remains comfortable and functional. As scrap it would be virtually worthless. A replacement would need more than an intake of breath.

I offered to remove the furniture so the welder could get at the tricky bits on the offside. I did not expect it to be particularly easy, and hope it will be possible. I know I must be careful as I shall want to put it back. I started this afternoon. As I expected it will mainly be a process of locating screws and releasing them.

However there are the fridge and cooker to deal with 

I began with the fridge. I have released  its holding screws (I think) but cannot find where to remove the gas inlet. Is that inside the frIdge? From outside everything seems continuous and fastened down.

I hope somebody has done this before and can advise.

Thanks in advance,

Will
WillT

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : Ford Tra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: removing furniture from Duetto?

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi Will
Welcome to the forum from chilly Bridlington , good luck with your mammoth project , rather you than me
Boaby. allthumbz
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Welcome - if you mean the gas supply pipe, typical practice on these is to install a long loop of gas pipe, so that you can pull the fridge out without having to disconnect it. Once it's out you can then access the connector to disconnect the supply. On all the ones I have looked at, the pipe loop sits on top of the fridge when installed, but this may vary by model.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 pm

scratch head Our Duetto had lots of welding around the heater outlet and under the heater and other places, see my post. The fridge connections may be behind the vents on the outside of the van.They are secured like the winter covers with quarter turn catches. Our Rienza had to have the fridge pulled out for repairs. Inside the fridge there four blacking plugs on the edges nearest the door. Once these are removed and the gas pipe is undone the fridge slides out. Good luck with the repairs, I couldnt face any more rust issues on our Duetto even though we loved the van it had to go.  frustrating

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for that, I'll see if that is the case with mine. I imagine (!) that once the cooker and fridge are out it will be possible to find screws that hold the furniture in, I have found some near the front. There will also be the issue of the gas distribution manifold. However, it seems in the nature of the construction that the kitchen cabinet assembly would have been put in as one piece and therefore will be capable of removal by reversing that procedure.

That may seem absurdly optimistic. I have to try.

Will
WillT

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Will,
I had similar welding done on my Duetto. Once the kitchen is out, you will also need to cut the wood floor to access the van floor underneath. My welder called in a carpenter mate who had a tool for the job, some sort of saw.
I'm faced with a small welding repair under the shower tray, so I'm hoping the welder will be able to carefully do it without the need to remove the shower and all that involves.
Good luck, and once done you should have years without worry.
Jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Duetto kitchen unit.

Post by WillT on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:13 pm

jollywalker wrote:Hi Will,
I had similar welding done on my Duetto. Once the kitchen is out, you will also need to cut the wood floor to access the van floor underneath. My welder called in a carpenter mate who had a tool for the job, some sort of saw.
I'm faced with a small welding repair under the shower tray, so I'm hoping the welder will be able to carefully do it without the need to remove the shower and all that involves.
Good luck, and once done you should have years without worry.
Jollywalker
 Thanks very much for that,

I have now successfully removed the fridge and cooker. I hope to get the kitchen cabinet out tomorrow. It is remarkably solid and so far not at all obvious where fixings might be. Can you remember how yours came out? I had assumed it would be as one piece, was that so?

Will
WillT

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:09 pm

I believe it comes out as one piece, but I wasn't present for the work. I think it was fairly straightforward from what the welder said (he removed it all for me thankfully)
The whole rear offside corner of the van just fell apart with rust, but he rebuilt it all for me.
The rust on the MK5 Transit is a worry.
Jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:50 am

frustrating Hi Will.
               Getting rid of our Duetto was one of the most frustrating things in my life. If you read the thread about the repairs to ours you will see what I mean. For years it went through MOT tests with the same minor body rust that was none structural. A bad stone chip that became a crack  and became  a fail point. Taking the scuttle trim off revealed an unknown horror. Of coarse once a tester finds a reason to fail a vehicle is is natural to look closer. 
I am hoping to keep on top of the Rienza. Hopefully the only major issue is the cab as the rest is a chassis  so less body rot potential. 
Good luck  , perseverance will pay off I am sure. Dave.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WillT on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks all so far,
I'm beginning to think I have to take off the cladding above the unit as I haven't yet located many screws lower down to account for the remarkable solidity. There must be some both top and bottom; so far a bit of a mystery. Clearly I don't want to dismantle more than necessary, nor diO wish to do damage. I am hoping to put it all back together.

Any hints are welcome.

Will
WillT

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:18 pm

..it may help re-assembly if you take lots of pictures of every stage of dismantling...it's so easy to lose track when you're undoing lots of different objects over a period of time.
I'm very impressed with your project - if I possibly can, big jobs are left for better weather !
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum