French City Vehicle Emission Charges!

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

French City Vehicle Emission Charges!

Post by Liam on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned on the forum yet - but just read that the French government has announced that they are applying vehicle restricted emission zones to certain cities from the 1st Feb (applies to foreign registered vehicles after 31st March) this year. 

It would seem that you can apply in advance for the appropriate coloured sticker (the colour depicts the category of your vehicle emission - like the current German system) and the cost is about £3.50 but the fines are much higher (reported to be £80 - £100)  if you do not have one on display!!

The requirement covers a considerable number of cities (including Paris of course) so anyone planning to visit France this year would be well advised to make sure that they have the requisite "emission stickers" on their vehicle before hand. 

I saw this emission requirement was reported on the battlefield website where they are saying that a number of the cities on their tour was affected by this emission requirement - so it must be applying to some smaller cities!

I understand that the official government website is currently only operating in French but it is reported that an English version will be available from 1st Feb.

Bonne chance,

Liam
Liam

Male

Posts Posts : 246
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: French City Vehicle Emission Charges!

Post by Bad Penny on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Many thanks Liam, that is very useful information.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 361
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

French Emission charge

Post by KimF on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:38 pm

RAC European Breakdown spokesman Simon Williams said: “British motorists travelling to Paris, Lyon and Grenoble need to make sure they don’t get caught out by the new Crit’Air scheme that has come into force.

You can get the stickers from here : www.certificat-air.gouv.fr
KimF

Male

Posts Posts : 27
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:02 pm

I have just noticed that some of the port towns are also on the list - including Dunkirk so its going to be very difficult to avoid!!
Liam
Liam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:16 pm

This is very worrying as I travel to France quite often in my 1993 Landrover. Doubt that will get the OK scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 2858
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello Liam, thanks for this information. Will definitely check this out once English version is up and running - I can probably wok out the French, however will check back next week to see how you can apply.

Best wishes, Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 206

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:57 pm

UK registered vehicle can't apply before 1st Feb Andy, but it looks like one of those "fit and forget" must haves which are so necessary for peace of mind on holiday.

Not very expensive, and if you have the sticker you don't even need to think about where you are going.

Thanks Liam

Male

Posts Posts : 2685
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm

I too am waiting for the English language version before applying. I think a nice yellow French sticker will look good next to my nice green German one. What colour to go for next?

I know its not clear where the "limited" roads will be but the London LEZ has corridors for non compliant vehicles (I know, I live on one) and I understand some German cities are set up this way too where unstickered vehicles can get to a park & ride for public transport trips in to the cities.

If port towns do get included in the future I would expect France to follow where you can get out of the docks and on to the bypass without venturing in to the town.

Male

Posts Posts : 1322
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:34 pm

More information here:

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france

I followed the link to the Grenoble emergency scheme and in a band at the top of the page it confirms that none French vehicles can apply from 1st Feb.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Posts Posts : 3227

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I believe this is the official french government site www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/. where you can place your order. 

The header at the top of the site confirms that they will be operating in English for all non french registered vehicles as from the 1st Feb.

In the meantime there are other private sites where you can get your vignett/certificate but they are charging 30euro compared to about £3.5 from the French government site!

Liam
Liam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Here is the classification table in English. Motorhome >3.5t don't seem to be covered. confused3

https://www.crit-air.fr/fileadmin/crit-air.fr/Gesetze/CritAir_Klassifizierung/EN_CritAir_Klassifizierung.pdf

Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 1749
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:46 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Here is the classification table in English. Motorhome >3.5t don't seem to be covered. confused3

https://www.crit-air.fr/fileadmin/crit-air.fr/Gesetze/CritAir_Klassifizierung/EN_CritAir_Klassifizierung.pdf

Oh what fun - here we go again.....!  Must get a smaller van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm

You can use the "Simulation" on the french site to get which sticker applies.

Diesel Euro5 M1 class (<3.5t ?) gets a 2
Diesel Euro5 M2,M3 etc class (>3.5t ?) gets a 3

Donator
Donator

Male

Posts Posts : 1749
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
Oh what fun - here we go again.....!  Must get a smaller van.
Regardless of van size it makes you realise just how disjointed Europe really is! 
If we have to apply emission stickers for every country we are passing through whilst on holiday in Europe then before long we won't be able to see through the windscreen.
So maybe Brexit and our ANPR camera system is not so bad after all!!
Liam
Liam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm

The website doesn't work!! shrugg

Takes ages to enter all the detail, then it throws a strop at the payment section.

Couldn't organise a biberonnage in a brasserie! snigger

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:04 pm

All, as we're planning to visit Copenhagen later in the spring, applied for similar for Denmark.
See: http://mst.dk/media/mst/9439820/web_a5_folder_milj_zoner.pdfwww
Website was easy to use and cost was DKK108,00 or £12.35 which is payable by credit card.
I'm not 100% sure we need this, however better to have one than face a fine! Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:28 pm

AndyLouch wrote:All, as we're planning to visit Copenhagen later in the spring, applied for similar for Denmark.
See: http://mst.dk/media/mst/9439820/web_a5_folder_milj_zoner.pdfwww
Website was easy to use and cost was DKK108,00 or £12.35 which is payable by credit card.
I'm not 100% sure we need this, however better to have one than face a fine! Andy
I don't think you need one, especially if you are <3.5t. However as you say, probably better to buy a sticker - if you can still see out of the screen - than face a fine. I don't think I will be applying for one though.

I have used this site - https://www.tolltickets.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c - to check for motorway toll charges which might be useful to you.

Male

Posts Posts : 1322
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Well, they seem to have mended some of it.

Now it takes your money, but doesn't send the promised email receipt - without which you can't track your application. shrugg

Shades of the infamous breathalyser kits, eh?? Will it be new regulations rushed into force again, but no infrastructure to deal with the millions of applications? Whistle1

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this link. mmm, not sure if we will look at getting one of these devices since there seems to be a lot of restrictions for vehicles which are either less that 6m long or under 2.7m high. Out M/H is 7.3m long, 2.9m high (and 3880Kg) so we seem to be in excess of the Autobox criteria for the bridges/ferries detailed.
I note that the toll charges may be invoiced automatically using cameras and billed to vehicle registered address so may be less confusing (albeit more expensive!) for us to use this facility!
Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:20 am

I've placed my order and got the confirmation e-mail. My V5 doesn't have the emission category on it so it will be interesting to see what happens next............

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:23 am

Good day Peter, thanks, just completed same. Hardest part (for me!) was getting a JPG of Vehicle Registration Document! I had a PDF and managed to 'manipulate' into a single JPG page...bit of a pain to do. Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:38 am

AndyLouch wrote:Good day Peter, thanks, just completed same. Hardest part (for me!) was getting a JPG of Vehicle Registration Document! I had a PDF and managed to 'manipulate' into a single JPG page...bit of a pain to do. Andy
Exactly the same issue, plus getting it below 200k in size and still legible.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 am

Peter Brown wrote:Exactly the same issue, plus getting it below 200k in size and still legible.
I expect quite a few members will have problems - not everyone of our average vintage is a whizz on the computer! Whistle1

This little program may be useful. Contrary to the comments on the download page, it works well on Windows 7. I don't know about Win 10, but I'll try it later and post again if it doesn't work. It makes re-sizing a .jpg image very simple.
https://microsoft-powertoys-image-resizer.en.softonic.com/

As for getting the image in the first place, scanning to a file destination is best, but in this case the colours and shades of the original are fairly "muddy" which doesn't make it any easier to retain legibility.

For those who don't have a scanner I think it would be acceptable to take a digital photo and reduce it to less than 200kb using the tool above. I tried that first and the result was legible (more or less) but since the website asks for most of the critical data to be entered as text, I presume they want the facsimile only for confirmation.

I also presume that when they ask for the "Serial Number" they mean the VIN????

We shall see. scratch head

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:33 am

Peter Brown wrote:I've placed my order and got the confirmation e-mail.  My V5 doesn't have the emission category on it so it will be interesting to see what happens next............
I still haven't had the email. (Have checked my "Junk" folders etc..)

It's a wonderful system whereby I need a reference number from the email before I can chase up the order.

They have pocketed my €4.80 so it must have gone through the system.

Ho hum - here we go again!! Any suggestions from anyone?

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:55 am

Personally i would wait and see.                                                                                               I got concerned about the German one and then heard about the sites charging way over the top for one.I have never bought one and travel all over Germany.
I believe if you did get caught,its a small fine.However i don't plan on going into Large towns  with a motorhome. Same for London.

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Posts Posts : 2537
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum