VW T4 Trooper roof issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VW T4 Trooper roof issues

Post by Mcfcjon on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 am

Hi

newbie to this, and looking for some help/advice regarding an issue on my fold up roof on my 1993 T4 Trooper. i bought the van 10 months ago and have already got plenty of use, however one thing i noticed was when the roof was folded up there was a lot of drafts coming through the roof especially when windy which is not ideal when our 7yr old daughter sleeps up there. you can feel that the side panels do not seem to push out far enough to get a good seal. i contacted Auto-sleepers to see if new seals kits were available but they advise not.

my question is, is the poor sealing a characteristic of these roofs?

if not where can i look to purchase new seals?

i see that the same roof is fitted to late T5 models so i cannot see how these are no longer available?!

any help help would be greatly appreciated allthumbz

regards Jon
Mcfcjon

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW trooper
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VW T4 Trooper roof issues

Post by Alf on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Jon I had a similar problem with my roof having had a similar roof on a couple of Sherpas many years ago I was aware of the draught problems.

It is the roof that bows between the locking system, the sides are solid with no seal at the top.

I bought 2 x  2.134m lengths of Stormguard  Aluminium Brush Garage door seal from B & Q these have a 18mm or so brush cut to length and fitted tight up to the PVC end trim at the top of the roof has cured all the draught, this also goes across the top cutout on the nearside roof and cures that draught.

The roof locking bolts are also a bit awkward so I have replaced these with ones from Screwfix  4  x 9007J

There was draughts with the roof down and I have cured this with Strips of weatherproof self adhesive foam strips 25mmm x 12mm fixed to the van roof where the roof folds down to this allows the roof to seal to the van better.

we were out in the recent high winds on the North Yorkshire Moors with no draughts.

Alf

http://www.diy.com/departments/stormguard-aluminium/-brush-door-seal-l2134mm/81171_BQ.prd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEOPRENE-SPONGE-STRIP-VARIOUS-SIZES-SELF-ADHESIVED-BACKED-/330981247198?var=&hash=item4d100508de
Alf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:37 am

Jon - if you think yours is draughty, you should try one of the roofs fitted to the later vans. In these vans it became mandatory to have ventilation in the roof, and instead of doing the job properly, A/S just cut a huge great wide slot out of the side panel on one side - so in windy weather it's almost impossible to keep the van warm. I suspect that almost every owner either has a home-made cover to fill it in, or stuffs the gap with socks or whatever.

A/S also changed the design of the roof quite a lot during production. 1980's models typically had a very large seal on the outside edge at the top of each side panel which was quite effective, but they dropped it on later vans - probably due to the cost of the seal.

I'm not really too surprised that A/S don't have spares for the roof, though, as they stopped using that type in (I think) around 2008 or so. From then on they used the lowline roof, which was ether a Reimo product or a close copy. You don't see many of that type of Trooper on the road though, as by that stage they had become very, very expensive.

Last edited by -mojo- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected roof name)
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 am

Mojo  they dropped the Solid Side roof in 2010.

Alf
Alf

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Alf wrote:Mojo  they dropped the Solid Side roof in 2010.

Thanks - I wondered when it was exactly. But I think they ran the Lowline in parallel with the solid side one for some time before that. I recall we looked at one with an electrically lifting Lowline roof a while back and I'm fairly sure that was an 08. Judging by the number of cuts in the roof tent fabric the power roof wasn't so easy to put down without causing damage!

As a matter of interest, do you know if the Trooper is still being made?
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi mojo  No the Trooper is no longer in production, buy I know if you supply the van they will convert it.

The Solid side roof was developed for the Commer and Sherpa these were very heavy sided roof's but solid,   when used on the VW they went to glass fibre that tends to flex bend and warp.

On Saturday I looked over a 2010 Trooper only 1200 miles Never been used as a camper just a Demonstrator

£35,000

Alf
Alf

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Alf wrote:
The Solid side roof was developed for the Commer

Indeed - we owned one!

Do A/S do the conversion of the Trooper now? It got quite complicated a couple of years back - as I understood it, they were being made by A/S in name only, and the work was (in effect) being subcontracted.

Just before I bought the Celex I was looking to buy a Trooper, and dealers such as Marquis were asking ridiculous amounts of money - more for a secondhand one than list for a new one! IIRC I bought a brand new Celex for nearly £10k less than they wanted for an eighteen month old Trooper!!
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm

...all the Trooper's that I've owned, T4's and T5's suffered from poor roof sealing, some worse than others but all needed some DIY work. I fitted some ebay rubber tubing outside where the top edge of the sidewalls sits. Piece of pipe lagging to cover the big slot, smaller strips for all four vertical corners, short wedges for roof catch gaps - all from a 75p length of lagging. Shouldn't need to do it, of course on any camper, let alone a dear one - mine was £27k...
Whilst I prefer the rigidity and better insulation when compared to the normal elevating roof material, it is the worst feature of my present T5 Trooper, otherwise the best camper I've had.
The last Troopers made - IMHO - had a far inferior interior, instead of all the large cupboards there were just a few small tambour door openings, the large underbench drawer replaced with toilet provision - instead of in a cupboard. 
Another variation noticed was convential cupboards but with raised doors instead of flush. Perhaps they were just using up remaining materials ?
I sometimes look into ads ( especially MotorPlus, Derby) for later Troopers to see the variations. One even had barndoors.
Rather a sad end for such an important AS model....The Trooper and Trident were so popular that they probably enabled AS to expand the business into larger 'vans.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcfcjon on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:13 pm

I Am sort of glad this is a characteristic rather than a fault with my van! 

I went to York in the van in November when it was Brasic, and had to put the roof down as I was just losing all my heat. I know I may not fix it completely, however If I can make it a considerably better than it is now I will be happy
Mcfcjon

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW trooper
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:27 pm

...yes, roof down is always a convenient option, especially in strong winds.
You can do a lot with pipe lagging, it's cheap and effective in the short term. I also made up a seat belt mechanism cover from it, for the rear N/S belt..to avoid hard contact with it at night.
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum