Large side window cracked

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Large side window cracked

Post by landyman on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Today I found a big crack in one of the large side windows on my Talisman. Can anyone advise how easy/hard a job it is to remove the fixed window panel on a Talisman or Clubman? Can one window be removed on its own or does the whole frame with both windows have to come out first?
I havnt got the replacement yet. Im still searching for one............
landyman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talbot Talisman GL
Vehicle Year : 1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Large side window cracked

Post by Archer1951 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:37 pm

I've just had the invoice through for two new windows for our Executive being made by EECO in Sheffield having been given the address by Autosleeper. £301.20 inc vat each with Currier to & from.
The windows are easily removed once you have removed the side stays, just open the window as far as you can & then a little side movement & the window comes out of the slot at the top. I would advise you get an assistant standing on step ladders or similar as the height is quite a way. Reverse procedure to put back, hopefully  smile!
Warning; Do NOT attempt to remove the aluminium hinge extrusion on the window!
Hope this helps. if you want any more details just ask.

Address here;http://www.eeco-ltd.co.uk/ I was informed by Autosleeper that the original window company in Italy had ceased trading & they had sold the last off the shelf in the stores.
Archer1951

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Archer1951 wrote:
The windows are easily removed once you have removed the side stays, just open the window as far as you can & then a little side movement & the window comes out of the slot at the top.

I have been too busy to look at it yet but are the side stays to be removed on the inside or outside? And does the whole frame have to be removed first?
I have been in touch with EECO and I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price.
landyman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer1951 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Assuming your talisman is the same shell as our Executive.

How it works is; the frame has a channel all around the outside extrusion profile.
The window has an extrusion with a hockey shape profile which hooks into the frame channel. The window is prevented from coming out when opened to it’s extreme by the limits set by the side stays.

You don’t have to remove the frame, it’s sealed in.

2 people required, trust me I failed for not following my own advise albeit in hindsight.

Open the window in vehicle van up & out to a comfortable height until it locks at a point on the side stays, enough to allow access to the screws on the fixing points of the two stays on the inside pane of the acrylic window.

Remove the screws from of both side stays on the inside of the acrylic window, 4 in total on mine. You don’t need to remove the stays from the frame. Save all fittings you will need them & they are not all available of the shelf anymore.

Working outside the vehicle, using step ladders & an assistant you can now lift the window out & up as far as it will travel. This will allow the hook shape on the extrusion to disengage the frame. Slide the window to the side if you encounter resistance.

On mine the offside needed a slight movement to the right to release.
On the nearside one it fell off which caught me off guard & that’s where I failed.
I lost balance damaging the extrusion on one end.
I might add that EECO reassured me it would be ok.

Once out you will need to remove the handle furniture but not the extrusion as this is bonded on. There will be screw pads left on the inside pane of the window, EECO will take care of these.
Take care when removing the bits so as not to damage the soft pads. A gentle peel will do the trick.

Again keep all the fittings in a safe place.

Hope this helps.
Archer1951

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Ah methinks we are talking about two different windows! Mine does not open outwards, It has two panels. One is fixed and the other slides to open. I need to remove the fixed panel. 
landyman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer1951 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:49 pm

I did wonder, that's why I said at the beginning of my reply. Ours is a 2002 model on a Peugeot boxer chassis.
have you asked Autosleeper? they are very helpful.

Good luck & don't give up.
Archer1951

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:45 pm

I should also like to know how they come out, as mine look somewhat similar. It's a "just in case" scenario, and I'm hoping it stays that way.....although, I should like to know how my habitation door window comes out,     scratch head as it's like a bugs graveyard, since some previous owner left the bungs out for a period of time.   shrugg
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fixed window

Post by davtherav on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:12 pm

landyman wrote:Ah methinks we are talking about two different windows! Mine does not open outwards, It has two panels. One is fixed and the other slides to open. I need to remove the fixed panel. 
Hi there
How did you get on with your fixed window? I need to remove mine too, as I believe that the fixing screws for the fly screen/blackout blinds are behind it ( I may be wrong,but I've tried everything else and can't find them!)
Dave
davtherav

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blinds fixings

Post by landyman on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:20 pm

I have removed and replaced the blinds without touching the windows.
The lower rail fixing screws are in the gap between the bottom of the rail and the carpeted trim above the seat back.

The top rail is only fixed at the ends with 2 screws each end at the top of the side pieces.

Each side piece has 5 screws in total. 2 at the top that hold the top rail, 2 at the bottom that hold the bottom rail and 1 in the middle.
Thats how they are fitted on my talisman and think that yours should be the same?

But if you do want to remove the window this is how I did it. 
First from inside the van I levered out the plastic piece that sits on the bottom runner and removed a screw from the runner so that now the fixed window slides along.I then prised out the trim around the outside of the window frame to expose all the fixing screws. I removed all the fixing screws, noting all the different lengths.
The frame was a really tight fit and had to be carefully levered out without damaging the bodywork.
Once the frame was out, to remove the windows it is easier if both windows are slid to one end and then with it standing on the floor I put a foot on the bottom, the top can be pulled up to give enough room so that when the windows are slid along one at a time they will come out of the runners.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning all the old sealer off and then resealing when putting the frame back in.
Hope this helps.
landyman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blind fixings

Post by davtherav on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:56 pm

landyman wrote:I have removed and replaced the blinds without touching the windows.
The lower rail fixing screws are in the gap between the bottom of the rail and the carpeted trim above the seat back.

The top rail is only fixed at the ends with 2 screws each end at the top of the side pieces.

Each side piece has 5 screws in total. 2 at the top that hold the top rail, 2 at the bottom that hold the bottom rail and 1 in the middle.
Thats how they are fitted on my talisman and think that yours should be the same?

But if you do want to remove the window this is how I did it. 
First from inside the van I levered out the plastic piece that sits on the bottom runner and removed a screw from the runner so that now the fixed window slides along.I then prised out the trim around the outside of the window frame to expose all the fixing screws. I removed all the fixing screws, noting all the different lengths.
The frame was a really tight fit and had to be carefully levered out without damaging the bodywork.
Once the frame was out, to remove the windows it is easier if both windows are slid to one end and then with it standing on the floor I put a foot on the bottom, the top can be pulled up to give enough room so that when the windows are slid along one at a time they will come out of the runners.
The hardest part of the job was cleaning all the old sealer off and then resealing when putting the frame back in.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for this, I'll take a photograph tomorrow let you see my problem. I have taken out the screws bottom, left hand upright and one in the middle top which was screwed upwards. The right hand upright (where the fixing screw is) disappears behind the wardrobe wall and I can't see screws in the endcaps. Thanks for the info on the window that will come in handy.
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:53 am

Ah, I have just had a look at mine and I see what you mean. All my dealings with blinds and windows was on the other side.
You might see things better if you slide the fixed window along. Prise out the plastic that is on top of the bottom runner and remove any screws that are in the runners that stop it sliding. Then it will slide.
landyman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:10 pm

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif?sort=3&o=0
I'm having trouble with images! Blooming technology. Anyway thanks again for getting back to me. I'll have a look at the window this afternoon. 
I thought that I would gain access form the wardrobe, which meant all the electric wiring in there and on the other side had to be disconnected before the back panel would come out  no good though  except I noticed the tip of a screw poking through in the area of the blind! 
I'll let you know how I get on. 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:18 pm

If you use photobucket copy the bit in the bottom box on the right. the one marked IMG. Then paste into the post.
It looks like the back of the wardrobe may have to come out but cant see how it can be done without damaging something. Good luck!
landyman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Knowledge is power! I did as you instructed and once the fixed window was slid forwards I could see the fixing screws,  so job done. Thank you very much for your help. 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:29 pm

davtherav wrote:Knowledge is power! I did as you instructed and once the fixed window was slid forwards I could see the fixing screws,  so job done. Thank you very much for your help. 
Dave

Pleased I could help. Are you taking out the blinds to replace with something else? Just wondering as I am looking for some to use in another vehicle............
landyman

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Taking them out to clean and retension,  this is the last one. I know that it seems a lot of work to do this but i think that it's worth it! 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum