Signal issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Signal issue

Post by Askit on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 am

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a problem that occurred over the course of last year related to the use of our external aerial socket. If we set up in an area with a decent transmitted signal, the roof aerial works well and we get whatever is on offer on terrestrial telly in that area by connecting to the internal socket.

The problems started when we were in poor reception areas, where a piped in aerial socket is provided at the hook up point. Sometimes (not always) when I connect from the hook up point to the MH external socket there is no signal inside, if I take the same cable in through the window and connect directly to the TV we get a signal. I've tested all the cables, both external and internal, for continuity and found no faults or breaks. Must say I'm a bit bamboozled   scratch head

_________________
Tony
avatar
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 925
Joined : 2015-05-16
Member Age : 68
Location : West of Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Gromit on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 am

Hi Tony

Blame Autosleepers in this instance, although it's apparently not just them who use the thinnest and cheapest cable to connect to the exterior aerial socket.

We had the same problem last year, and were fortunate enough to speak to an ex electronics engineer who saw me fiddling (and swearing gently to myself!!) Whistle1

He said it's a common fault throughout most makes of motorhome, caused by the use of poor quality co-axial cable and often carelessly made connections. His advice was to do what you did and go in through the window. He also suggested getting a special flattened co-ax connector designed to sit across the window seal without distorting it. Probably something like this, although I've never seen one in the flesh. scratch head
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-flat-window-cable-connectors/dp/B003JI3RLY

Hope this helps solve yet another little problem that shouldn't exist in the first place! shrugg

_________________
Dave smile!
avatar
Gromit
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 3476
Joined : 2015-03-11
Member Age : 74
Location : Worcestershire
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Paulmold on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 am

I've got one of those flat leads, works great and means you can shut your windows.

_________________
If life just doesn't add up, start subtracting
avatar
Paulmold
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 11919
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 66
Location : Mold, North Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Askit on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 am

Gromit wrote:Hi Tony

Blame Autosleepers in this instance, although it's apparently not just them who use the thinnest and cheapest cable to connect to the exterior aerial socket.

We had the same problem last year, and were fortunate enough to speak to an ex electronics engineer who saw me fiddling (and swearing gently to myself!!) Whistle1

He said it's a common fault throughout most makes of motorhome, caused by the use of poor quality co-axial cable and often carelessly made connections. His advice was to do what you did and go in through the window. He also suggested getting a special flattened co-ax connector designed to sit across the window seal without distorting it. Probably something like this, although I've never seen one in the flesh. scratch head
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-flat-window-cable-connectors/dp/B003JI3RLY

Hope this helps solve yet another little problem that shouldn't exist in the first place! shrugg
Dave, thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, I noticed that we were not the only folk using the "cable through the window" solution and the flat connector would certainly help keep the beasties (and draught) out.  It was driving me to distraction, trying to work out what the problem was. Can't tell you how many times I took off the coax plugs are refitted them to our three different lengths of cable. 

If what you say is true about the quality of the fitted cable (and I have every reason to believe you rolleyes ), I wonder why they have gone to the expense of installing outlets in three different locations a few feet apart when one good one might have been a better idea  think_smiley_46


Last edited by Askit on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Tony
avatar
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 925
Joined : 2015-05-16
Member Age : 68
Location : West of Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Askit on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am

Paulmold wrote:I've got one of those flat leads, works great and means you can shut your windows.

Thanks for the endorsement Paul, I will get one ordered up  up!

_________________
Tony
avatar
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 925
Joined : 2015-05-16
Member Age : 68
Location : West of Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by inspiredron on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:32 am

This problem is an old chestnut covered before on this forum. For some bizarre reason the outside aerial connector is wired to the F-connector screwed outlets on the internal panels. You need a fly lead with a male F connector on one end and a normal co-ax on the other or an adaptor, both obtainable at Maplin.
This odd quirk IS covered in the A/S manual for your van.

_________________
Best wishes - Ron
avatar
inspiredron
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 1616
Joined : 2012-06-02
Member Age : 76
Location : Carshalton
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Askit on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 am

inspiredron wrote:This problem is an old chestnut covered before on this forum. For some bizarre reason the outside aerial connector is wired to the F-connector screwed outlets on the internal panels. You need a fly lead with a male F connector on one end and a normal co-ax on the other or an adaptor, both obtainable at Maplin.
This odd quirk IS covered in the A/S manual for your van.

Thanks Ron, that's interesting and something I didn't consider. I did, however, check the continuity between the outside and internal aerial connections and got a positive result (although I didn't check the impedance). There are both aerial and satellite connections outside and I assumed they would linked to the same connections inside. I've since purchased the flat window described above so we're ready for anything (which means the next problem of course   biggrin)

_________________
Tony
avatar
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 925
Joined : 2015-05-16
Member Age : 68
Location : West of Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Peter Brown on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 am

Just to amplify on Ron's comments; the standard aerial is connected to an amplifier in the van and the other end of the amplifier to the TV. When you connect a signal to the external aerial connection point, that then appears on a connector panel near the TV, which has then to be connected direct to the TV bypassing the amplifier with the fly lead that Ron mentions.

_________________
Peter #1
avatar
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Posts : 3675
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 65
Location : Cheadle, Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Askit on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:49 am

Peter Brown wrote:Just to amplify on Ron's comments; the standard aerial is connected to an amplifier in the van and the other end of the amplifier to the TV.  When you connect a signal to the external aerial connection point, that then appears on a connector panel near the TV, which has then to be connected direct to the TV bypassing the amplifier with the fly lead that Ron mentions.
Thanks Peter, it's a simple tv and that's how we set up but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I originally posted because I could not ascribe any logic to why it would work on some sites and not on others. It does seem like I'm not alone in having problems with the system.

_________________
Tony
avatar
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 925
Joined : 2015-05-16
Member Age : 68
Location : West of Scotland
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signal issue

Post by Paramedic on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am

Askit wrote:

Thanks Peter, it's a simple tv and that's how we set up but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I originally posted because I could not ascribe any logic to why it would work on some sites and not on others. It does seem like I'm not alone in having problems with the system.

Also be aware that aerial connection on EHU pitch can be faulty due to damage.

_________________
In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king
avatar
Paramedic
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 770
Joined : 2016-01-27
Member Age : 70
Location : Chichester West Sussex
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum