leaking windowx

View previous topic View next topic Go down

leaking windowx

Post by kimb on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:02 pm

I know this is a common problem..We have 1999 executive.Had both side windows replaced this year and resealed at Broadway. After recent heavy rain one is leaking again! It's too far for us to keep going back to Autosleeper for repairs but beginning to feel we want to get rid of the van.Is this problem ever resolved. Would a local mobile engineer do the job? Any suggestions gratefully received.Thanks.
kimb

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : south east
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: leaking windowx

Post by -mojo- on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 pm

If it was done at A/S themselves less than a year ago, I would definitely speak to them again. I don't think that they could say with any justification that failure in less than a year is acceptable. It may be a long way to go but you may be able to use it as a stopoff on a trip to somewhere more interesting?
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kimb on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:25 pm

I know I am thinking that... but we work full time and it's more time off to go there etc and hang about for half a day.Very frustrating. Will ring them and see if they have any affiliated repair places nearer. Otherwise taped up windows yet again!! Thanks.
kimb

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : south east
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yes - I've had the same problem!

Post by Allan on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi,
I've got a Talisman and have (what sounds like) the same problem. I've tried:
- re-positioning the internal window catches (in a bit) so that there is a tighter closure against the rubber seal 
- renewing the rubbery seal around both side windows - an easy , but v. expensive job! ££££(new seal from Autosleeper)
- having the window frames (where frame joins to body) re-siliconed
- (like you)...taping the plastic window to frame-join from the outside ...but then....can't open window!
- parking van on levelling ramps (front wheels 5" higher)  as my van seems to sit front-heavy and the drain channels on the roof seem to channel water off the roof straight down on to the window seals- result =bit of an improvement

........Not totally sorted yet though - good luck!
Allan
Allan

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: leaking windows

Post by sapper997 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:58 am

Allan wrote:Hi,
I've got a Talisman and have (what sounds like) the same problem. I've tried:
- re-positioning the internal window catches (in a bit) so that there is a tighter closure against the rubber seal 
- renewing the rubbery seal around both side windows - an easy , but v. expensive job! ££££(new seal from Autosleeper)
- having the window frames (where frame joins to body) re-siliconed
- (like you)...taping the plastic window to frame-join from the outside ...but then....can't open window!
- parking van on levelling ramps (front wheels 5" higher)  as my van seems to sit front-heavy and the drain channels on the roof seem to channel water off the roof straight down on to the window seals- result =bit of an improvement

........Not totally sorted yet though - good luck!
Allan
I have done everything as Allan in my Executive, the leakage seems to happen only in high winds and rain, or very heavy downpours, I have
also put a thin smear of Vaseline on the rubber seal at the front lower corner of the window, and then after closing the catches push the seal
from the inside against the window....a bit if a pain I know, but so far seems to be working up! .
I also keep the curtains clear of the windows, and when parked up keep a small rolled up piece of paper towel in the corners which will show any
signs of water ingress and soak up any leakage before damage is done.

Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobM48 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:51 pm

I bought my Talisman just over 2 years ago and had leaking windows in the lower corners of both side windows from our first outing. After a number of visits to the dealer new seals were fitted. The new seals were demonstrated with a high pressure hose being sprayed all over the windows for quite some time and no leaks.......a week or so later in North Wales it rained and water started creeping in but just on one window. I closely watched its progress then released the window catch and the leak stopped. I had no tools with me at the time but returned to the dealer and asked them to slacken the catch (ever mindful of warranty issues). Since then have had no problems. My observations, rightly or wrongly, is that tap water and rain water have different viscosities and that with an over tight catch (perhaps distorting the window) rain water was able to enter under capillary action whereas tap water did not.
You do not say where your leak is but I'll  add my experience for what its worth.........
Rob
RobM48
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile http://www.robmilliken.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:22 pm

One other observation: you should if possible avoid using Vaseline on rubber seals. Some types of rubber are resistant to it, but most are not and it is likely to cause damage over the longer term.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:24 pm

I tend to use spray silicone for the sealing rubbers.....Has anyone anything better to recommend, as l like to keep up, if you know what I mean. shrugg
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:23 pm

RobM48 wrote:I bought my Talisman just over 2 years ago and had leaking windows in the lower corners of both side windows from our first outing. After a number of visits to the dealer new seals were fitted. The new seals were demonstrated with a high pressure hose being sprayed all over the windows for quite some time and no leaks.......a week or so later in North Wales it rained and water started creeping in but just on one window. I closely watched its progress then released the window catch and the leak stopped. I had no tools with me at the time but returned to the dealer and asked them to slacken the catch (ever mindful of warranty issues). Since then have had no problems. My observations, rightly or wrongly, is that tap water and rain water have different viscosities and that with an over tight catch (perhaps distorting the window) rain water was able to enter under capillary action whereas tap water did not.
You do not say where your leak is but I'll  add my experience for what its worth.........
Rob
Hi Rob
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RobM48 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks for the welcome Boaby.
Just love your area!
Rob
RobM48
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile http://www.robmilliken.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:35 am

logburner wrote:I tend to use spray silicone for the sealing rubbers.....Has anyone anything better to recommend, as l like to keep up, if you know what I mean. shrugg

I use this which was recommended by a forum member:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Stick-100ml/dp/B007TNOQDI

Not used for preventing water ingress but to preserve the rubber.
Also use it on the car door seals which tend to 'squeak' in the summer!

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 pm

I use a similar product (also called Gummi Pfledge), but by Würth.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Just bought two sticks off the amazon link...Hope they work ok  hugegrins   Decided that there is a lot of rubber to do, time youv'e done all the windows and doors......hope there are some instructions, do you need to wash them with soap first ?   scratch head
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 pm

logburner wrote:.....do you need to wash them with soap first ?   scratch head

I just wiped the stick over the rubbers.
There is a sponge under the lid which is the spreader, if you see what I mean.
A bit like the instant shoe polish.

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm

We had this problem on the Driver side window. Water being sucked in by capillary action. Fitted new rubber seal from Autosleeper but made no difference. I then stuck a strip of rubber with double sided tape along the bottom of the window as a test and it worked. Need to find a slightly thinner piece as it's a bit tight though, but it does work.
Marty

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer1951 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm not sure this is relevant but with regards to rubber seals leaking, I used cellulose thinner sparingly on the the rubber seal on our 2002 executive, then went over them with talcum powder. They look & work great with no problems.
I'm in the process now of renewing the large side windows so that should prove whether it'll work on the original seals or not.
Archer1951

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Leaking window

Post by Pauline Stevens on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:45 pm

On a couple of occasions have had a wet patch on the floor just before the entrance to the cab. On investigating found the bench seat is damp where the water hangs in the grooves of the windows and runs down. Would this be connected to the damp floor? Any ideas please? confused3 I hope this makes sense!
Pauline Stevens

Female

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Not heard of an Executor (scary model name), do you mean Executive?

May be better to say hello here first..

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/f36-asof-welcome-section-new-members-please-introduce-yourself-here

And then start a new thread in the coachbuilt section.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 am

We had a similar problem on our first van - an Executive. Happened on only one window and I decided that it was capillary action. dangled a couple of lengths of string out of the window to wick water away which seemed to work. We were expecting delivery of a new van  with the Executive going in PEx so didn't get too bothered about it.

pstallwood
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum