Latest Avtex Factory Fit SatNav

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Latest Avtex Factory Fit SatNav

Post by Wargenwolf on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Are any of you currently using the Avtex/Garmin Camper Premium SatNav (Caravan Club Edition) 

It looks like it is being supplied with new AS vans and on paper it sounds ideal with free lifetime European map updates, free lifetime digital traffic, CC site database, over 9000 sites, ACSI directory, Bluetooth reversing camera input etc.

Are they as good as they sound ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Latest Avtex Factory Fit SatNav

Post by Paulmold on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:37 pm

I've been using the CC 6" standalone version. It does work well avoiding low bridges. The traffic works but to be honest we only have traffic problems around here on motorways and we tend to avoid those if at all possible. I bought mine off eBay and it was advertised as having map updates for life but it hasn't. I don't think roads change that much as to need 3 or 4 updates per year. The only down side is that speed limits change a lot and I find frequently that the speed limit shown is wrong but overall I like it, junctions are clearly shown with photos of them to show exits , and lane information is good. It's a pity you can't get one showing both CC and C&CC sites but that depends on your membership of either or both.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Paulmold wrote: It's a pity you can't get one showing both CC and C&CC sites but that depends on your membership of either or both.
If you are a registered member of search for sites - https://www.searchforsites.co.uk  with enough points to your name, you can download the POI files for either club and more besides.

You can gain points by just using the site.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:28 pm

Thanks Frank, I'll have a look.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Paulmold wrote:.... It's a pity you can't get one showing both CC and C&CC sites but that depends on your membership of either or both.
I am a member of both  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris102 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi I have just taken delivery of a Warwick Duo with Avtex / Garmin sat nav and I am not sure it is a good idea to have a combined unit.
My previous AS motorhomes have rear view camera which could be on permanent feed so always got a view behind when travelling. That option is not available in a combined unit so I now have no rear view camera except when in reverse gear. I have been in touch with Avtex and they can offer not solution they say it is what AS asked for.
Personally I would go for a rear view camera and separate sat nav. Sat nav with lifetime map updates are very reasonably priced .
As for the Avtex sat nav it is early days my first trip to Chatsworth CC site it tried to take me to the wrong entrance road but as I knew the site I ignored it.
Screen is a good size and clear, there is more information on the screen if you have time to look. It warned me of a school zone something I have not seen before.
Chris102

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi
    I have a Garmin Sat Nav Aldi special buy and I think it is very poor it trys to send me down roads with 6ft 6" width limit  and under 8ft 6" bridges and yes I have put in the size of the motor home
    regards Alan
gemdeco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Surrey
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Chris102 wrote:Hi I have just taken delivery of  a Warwick Duo with Avtex / Garmin sat nav and I am not sure it is a good idea to have a combined unit.
My previous AS motorhomes have rear view camera which could be on permanent feed so always got a view behind when travelling. That option is not available in a combined unit so I now have no rear view camera except when in reverse gear. I have been in touch with Avtex and they can offer not solution they say it is what AS asked for.
Personally I would go for a rear view camera and separate sat nav. Sat nav with lifetime map updates are very reasonably priced .
As for the Avtex sat nav it is early days my first trip to Chatsworth CC site it tried to take me to the wrong entrance road but as I knew the site I ignored it.
Screen is a good size and clear,  there is more information on the screen if you have time to look. It warned me of a school zone something I have not seen before.
Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Wargenwolf wrote:Are any of you currently using the Avtex/Garmin Camper Premium SatNav (Caravan Club Edition) 

It looks like it is being supplied with new AS vans and on paper it sounds ideal with free lifetime European map updates, free lifetime digital traffic, CC site database, over 9000 sites, ACSI directory, Bluetooth reversing camera input etc.

Are they as good as they sound ?
IMHO good, yes but not a good as earlier models.  We have the very similar Garmin 760lmt and the bigger screen diaplays more information and I especially like the traffic information.  This is displayed on the side using different colours and for many miles ahead so you can see what's looming and decide if you want to re-route. I find the programming more dificult than the model it replaced and exchanged many emails with their customer support about not being able just to plot a simple route to a town centre.  It always asks for a Road and House Number but if you're planning a long route this is irrelevant until you get closer.  Also, you can't drop a pin on the map, hit Go, and simply plan a route to it as with the older units. I also favour a separate screen for the camera as I have it on continuously when we're abroad.
We now run both units in His and Her's comfiguration.
Rich..
RML

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Millyfrance on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi we have one in our new Broadway Fb . The sat nav side of it is good . The main down side I feel is a poor camera position ( right below the third/ top brake light. This causes terrible glare when reversing slowly etc and the lens get dirty easily) And I feel a perminant live feed would be good on a large van.
Millyfrance

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway fb
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Strange that A/S should choose to place reversing camera below the third brake light on your FB to cause unnecessary glare. Our 2013 van has camera above that gives no glare and lens keeps clean. Perhaps you have a different design of camera?

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by markwhittam on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Just to add into this thread, I have changed out the original Mercedes Radio on my 2016 Malvern for an Android unit. I got the one that was made specifically for the Sprinter so more or less plug and play. 
I removed the Veba unit and cut into the video feed from the rear camera, and split it into 2 signals. One I put into a switched 5" screen mounted up near the rear view mirror so I can have the reversing camera on all the time with the other signal plugged into the radio unit which has a much better picture. This comes on when reverse is selected even before the radio fully boots up. The actual reversing camera is mounted high up and I think gives a very good picture.
Plus points on the radio is a iGo Sat Nav built in allowing setting up with different vehicle heights/lengths and weight restrictions. Really happy with this setup as the radio unit also has wifi and can use iPlayer/Tv etc when parked up just like a mini tablet.
The photos do not do it justice but really well integrated and looks very OEM.

Pics...

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum