Longleat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Longleat

Post by Junige36 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Booked this site to see the festival of light and have bought a day ticket to access the longleat estate resort. Just wondering what else there is to do and whether it's worth taking the bikes. Has anyone else been here. Taking the motorhome and will use the safari bus have visions otherwise of monkeys on the roof!!
Junige36

Female

Auto-Sleeper : neuvo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Longleat

Post by Quilter on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:05 pm

We've been there and took bikes. There's a huge estate to ride round and, when all the day trippers have gone, you've got miles of lovely empty roads with magnificent trees and parkland. 

Have you got Tesco Clubcard vouchers to spend ? They will get you a very much reduced price entry ticket to everything. It's worth going into the house and the animal attractions close to the campsite are well done as well but it is expensive.

We used the safari bus rather than the van and, apart from the excellent commentary from a friendly driver, we enjoyed being able to watch the monkeys etc destroying car roof light and windscreen seals as well as windscreen wipers. The driver enjoyed it too, despite having seen it umpteen times before.

Nice campsite too ! They used to have a chippy call and a pizza van I think.

Edit: Just re-read- you already have tickets so Tesco advice no use to you.

There's a nice pub on the estate edge - can't remember the name- walkable to but easier with bikes.  ( Remembered; it's the Bath Arms. Not cheap but excellent food and a good set menu.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Longleat

Post by fenderbender on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:04 pm

That brings back memories, I went to Longleat as a kid with my mam and dad in a Reliant regal. No safari buses back then, you just drove round with windows up and hoped for the best. We didn't have problems with the monkeys but in the lion enclosure a big male lion just stood in front of us and refused to move, my dad wanted to nudge it out of the way with the car but luckily thought better of it. It came up and started licking the rain water off and the car was actually rocking and by the sound of it lions have sandpaper tongues.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Auto-Sleeper : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum