DASH-CAM POSITION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DASH-CAM POSITION

Post by sapper997 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:04 pm

I have just purchased a dash-cam, a Ring RBDGC50 Model, it is 4" from centre of suction holder to bottom of the camera.
The recommended fixing position is near to the windscreen mounted rear view mirror, but owing to the "mottled" section
along the top of the windscreen the suction cup will not hold, my question is......is there any law as to where it could be
mounted?, I have thought about mounting it on the lower centre of the windscreen as to mount it below the rear view
mirror on the "clear" glass would place the camera almost in the centre of the windscreen, >very distracting<, where do
members mount theirs ?  scratch head ...Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DASH-CAM POSITION

Post by Gromit on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:14 pm

sapper997 wrote: . . . . is there any law as to where it could be mounted?
Ray
I believe there is Ray, and it's a potential MOT failure.

I think I'm right in saying that nothing should be placed where it obscures any part of the windscreen which is swept by the wipers.

Assuming I'm correct (?) I think it should be OK fairly well over to the passenger side, possibly in the little half moon of unswept screen below the reach of the wiper. Not ideal for a clear view, but I think it would be legal.

Wash my mouth out for suggesting this, but it could always become unstuck on the way to the MOT station!! Whistle1  Common sense should prevail here. If it doesn't obscure your view and is not distracting, I can't see a problem.

(Just for interest, I am 6' 3" and the biggest and potentially dangerous obstruction I had (past tense) was the rear view mirror itself. It blocked my view almost completely on many acute junctions, so off it had to come. No great loss, as you can't see much through the distant rear window.)

Hope this helps

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KeithM on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Last edited by KeithM on Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeithM

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:57 pm

I have exactly the same problem with a stippled shading area around the rear view mirror in my Toyota Auris, which stops the suction mount for my dash cam from working in the optimum viewing and safe position. 

I would have preferred the small camera to sit behind the nearside edge of the rear view mirror, where there is enough distance between the mirror and the windscreen and it would have been mostly out of my sight.

The answer to my particular problem would be to replace the suction mount, with an adhesive one, except the makers of my camera don't make an adhesive mount, leaving me to have the camera 'suction mounted' a few inches to the nearside of the mirror. 

It may be worth checking to see if an adhesive mount is available for yours.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 pm

If the sucker wont hold it to the screen Ray, drop a bit of silicone on the sucker and tape it on till it dries, job done and when needed to be removed, a paint scrapper does the job on glass to clear it all away. That way you get it where it should be and the only casualty is the sucker which is no biggy.

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:08 pm

I've just moved my dash cam from behind the rear-view camera monitor (in place of a rear-view mirror) to just above the blind track at the bottom of the windscreen, centrally located, which also means that the power lead does not dangle......
BTW - it's a 2016 Boxer cab.

Andy

Last edited by AndyPK on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added detail)
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:52 pm

I seem to think that is supposed to be out of your range of vision ie. behind the rear view mirror. Mine is stuck with a really good 3M double sided tape .....but at £2,50 per pad, you don't want have it misaligned . I will only change it, when I change vehicle.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:09 pm

If the Michael Lyons Solicitors interpretation of the law/s they refer to regarding moving images on LED screens in view of the driver is correct then every driver using a GPS/Satnav device with a moving map showing their route is breaking the law . . .
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:43 am

rogerblack wrote:If the Michael Lyons Solicitors interpretation of the law/s they refer to regarding moving images on LED screens in view of the driver is correct then every driver using a GPS/Satnav device with a moving map showing their route is breaking the law . . .
Their interpretation of the law is correct with regard to moving images on LED (or any other) screen, but in brief, as with most legislation, there are exemptions written in and GPS, Satnav and reversing cameras are specifically exempted.

My own dashcam has a viewing screen on the rear, which if I leave it on while driving, makes it illegal even if I'm not looking at it. Even if the screen is visible only by reflection, it is illegal.

Hope this helps,

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:41 am

On our 2016 fiat ducato base. We have our sucker stuck to the rear view mirror as it is of no use as we have no rear window. With the built in blinds at least we dont have to keep removing it. As the mirror is back from the windscreen it really does not hamper vision for driving there. It does not show a picture while recording on the screen so assume this is ok. scratch head
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Just realised, after reading this topic, when recently entering the van to drive away from MOT station, the dash cam had been removed from windscreen. Assume the tester did this to allow a pass but no mention on 'Advisory Information' Because it is held in position just by Velcro, he didn't have to inform us of a potential MOT failure had it been a permanent fixture? Similar to AndyPK, it is mounted centrally several inches up from the bottom of the screen so no dangling cable.

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock on Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi ,ive put my satnav on the dash centrally fixed to where the map holder used to be ,and have fixed my dashcam to the back obviously facing forward ,works out perfectly ,great video of the NC500 this year!!! and just had MOT last week no problems.  Regards    Paul
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:- DASH-CAM POSITION

Post by sapper997 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks all for your input, I "think" I have come to a decision, allthumbz  I am going to mount it on top of the dashboard with the
suction cup attached to a small disc of clear Perspex which I shall glue to the dash. The camera is 180 degrees rotatable to
allow for the angle of the ball mount, also this avoids routing the wiring around the windscreen.
Some of the links mentioned by KeithM are very interesting if not confusing, and , "no offence Dave" as for mounting it in an
un swept area of the screen....that seems to defeat the object confused3  as in bad conditions the lens would be obscured.
I was thinking of using adhesive pads but in hot weather (in Spain I hasten to add, hugegrins  ) these tend to come unstuck and I
want to be able to easily remove the mount at MOT time.......just in case !!.

Ray

PS Paul Bullocks post came through as I was sending this,...great minds think alike handshake  .

Last edited by sapper997 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : post script)
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Ray, may I suggest like us, you get yourself say, half metre each of the self adhesive Velcro strips from any haberdashery shop. You will have enough to fix all sorts of things in the van or home. Regards

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Must say, our mount, with 3M sticky two way adhesive tab has survived all sorts of sunshine, as I interchange camera, from camper to car (whichever I am using)
This is a dedicated pad for dashcams from a dashcam shop.......... But needs removing, when changing vehicle (when another vehicle is purchased) by cutting through with dental floss to detach mount,before removing splodge from screen.
Mind you.at £2.50 per pad.....don't keep changing vehicles.......hugegrins hugegrins
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:16 am

Does the GPS/sat nav exemption cover people who have the sat nav halfway up the windscreen in their direct line of sight that I often  see especially at night when they also have them still set on daytime brightness!!! censored!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:35 am

sapper997 wrote:
Some of the links mentioned by KeithM are very interesting if not confusing, and , "no offence Dave" as for mounting it in an
un swept area of the screen....that seems to defeat the object confused3  as in bad conditions the lens would be obscured.
None taken. I did say it would be less than ideal! up!

Would this be a better idea than glueing a pad onto the dash? We have one and the edge fixes under the clip on the note holder thingy on the dash, but I don't know if you have one on the Executive. It may wander slightly if it's not fixed, but for a very few quid it might be worth a try to save mutilating your dash with glue - which never comes off cleanly!! shrugg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dashboard-Friction-TomTom-Garmin-Navman/dp/B00HVXAOPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479634323&sr=8-1&keywords=flat+sat+nav+mount

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Redwink on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 am

With my camera I decided not to glue a disc to take the holder, just tapped a 6 MM thread into the clipboard and add a less intrusive bracket, when removed, can easily plugged with a cap, I also found just clipping under clip was not as secure as I would of liked
Redwink

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.motorhomesnippets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:27 am

Gromit, that's a great idea and there is a Black Friday deal on Amazon for £4.99 inc postage. Thanks allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum