The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disklok

+11
AndyPK
Maasai Warrior
AndyLouch
Greyhound
Stretto Boy
KeithM
ssjohnl
Heanorboy
Paulmold
Gromit
JSP
15 posters

Go down

Disklok Empty Disklok

Post by JSP Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi,

Not got our Broadway yet but am considering a disklok. They come in different sizes dependant  steering wheel diameter but I can't find the measurement online.
Does anyone have one on their Peugeot (current face-lift model) and if so what size?
Anyone have experience of them? 
Any good or useless?

Just want something as a visual deterrent but don't fancy grovelling around with a wheel clamp.

Thanks in advance

John
JSP
JSP

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Disklok Empty Re: Disklok

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Hi John

Never had one but I've heard of others complaining that they can damage the steering wheel. There's quite a bit on the web if you ask Mr Google.

A Stoplock might be almost as good. There are a few ideas on here to ponder.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think theft from the van rather than of it is probably a greater concern. I understand the factory fitted immobilisers are very effective, and you rarely seem to hear of modern vans being stolen.

The best bet may be to get a Stoplock which is quick and convenient but highly visible, then buy decent insurance and hope for the best. content Statistically you are very unlikely to become a victim. (Still just as devastating if you do though!!)
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Gromit wrote:
I think theft from the van rather than of it is probably a greater concern. I understand the factory fitted immobilisers are very effective, and you rarely seem to hear of modern vans being stolen.

Except Transit based ones seem to be rather easy to nick. Check out Facebook's Stolen Motorhomes group.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi John

I have a disklok that I bought for one of my previous a VW5 just one problem hence why I don't use it anymore is it is so big when off the van so where does it travel then so I have one of those bars that clamps on the steering wheel (bought mine from a charity shop for £5.00 made for Halfords)
DAVID

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by ssjohnl Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 pm

I have a Disklok on my 2015 Symbol. I measured the steering wheel before I bought the van from the dealer last year and it was 39cm.
The size options are: small (up to 39cm), medium (39cm to 42?cm) and large.

As 39cm was on the 'cusp' I opted for the small but it was just too small so I sold it and have the medium which fits well enough.

They are a bit bulky but I keep mine in a drawstring 'plimsoll' type bag under the bench seat when not in use. It would be a pain if I just put it on the floor before driving as it would probably slide everywhere and damage something as well as chipping its paintwork.

I tend to use mine when I'm at home but not on sites and it does seem to be reassuringly robust.
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Auto-Sleeper : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:56 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Gromit wrote:

Except Transit based ones seem to be rather easy to nick. Check out Facebook's Stolen Motorhomes group.
Forgot about them Paul.

They rust too, by all accounts. Maybe Messrs AutoSleepers don't get it all wrong! snigger
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by KeithM Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:13 am

Just watched a you-tube video, Disklok, removed in 3 minutes 32 seconds, with portable disc grinder.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Watch from 8 minutes onwards.

Possibly a deterrent, if they want it they will come equipped and know how to do it in even less time.
KeithM
KeithM

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Stretto Boy Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:27 am

I have a Stoplock on mine. It seems to be robust and fits just about all sizes of steering wheel, so I can move it to my new AS Broadway when it arrives in the Spring. As we all know, nothing will deter the determined professional thief but hopefully they will choose an easier target.
Stretto Boy
Stretto Boy

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB on order
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:40 am

I have used Disklok for years, have one on the Nuevo and one on my car and they are great solid deterrents.

If I can comment on a few issues raised above from actual use :)

Size and weight - yes they are a little heavy, but that's because they are robust and do the job. I bought the large size for mine as it has the 41.5cm diameter wheel, this is a tad large though but fits ok. For yours the medium would be ideal.

Storage - you basically have a steering wheel sized metal plate to put away. I use mine whenever the van is stationary and put it behind the passenger seat when driving. It sits there no problem and simply becomes habit to take off and put on. It's not difficult but they can be a bit unwieldy, a price you pay for added security I guess.

Security - they are great deterrents and very hard to take off for the average scumbag. As above, you can get battery die grinders that will cut through anything with lots of noise and sparks. To be honest, if you worry about that, then there's no point in any of the mechanical deterrents mentioned above. I have a wheel clamp, disklok and other assorted items locking the van and a die grinder will defeat all of them in time. You have to accept no mechanical deterrent is going to be safe from that kind of assault, but consider how long a tea leaf wants to spend making that much noise and showering sparks everywhere. That sort of sound and light show is going to make them stand out like a sore thumb, especially at night. As with everything, it's about creating layers of security, so a disklok helps to make it a little more unappealing to try to steal and along with immobilisors and alarms starts to make the thief look elsewhere.

Damage to the steering wheel - not really. Depends on what the wheels made of, on the older hard plastic wheels it doesn't mark them at all. On my car with a leather wheel I used a pillow case over the wheel first and then the disklok on top and there's no issues. Just use common sense I guess.

Some issues - may not affect the newer steering wheel but mine pressed on the horn and set it off, which I thought would make it useless, but I glued some cork inserts (cut from a cork coaster) inside just to lift it a few mill off the wheel and it now works perfectly. A minor issue but worth knowing if the centre of the steering wheel is raised.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 am

Good day John, I purchased a Disklok medium (39-41.5cm), steering wheel protection cover and storage case. To date, we have not had the van stolen!
The lock fits well to our Sprinter steering wheel and the cover does seem to act as some protection against scratches to the wheel as long as you're careful when securing.
The lock mechanism is a bit fiddly when unlocking as its on the top of the device and can be a pain to access with the key.
I don't have any issues with the weight of the lock and balance on my lap when securing/unlocking although you have to be a bit careful niot to pinch your fingers in the swing arm when using!
I totally agree with the comments that this device is more of a visible deterrent and if a determined thief wants to steal your 'pride and joy' this lock will only slow them down or maybe try the next MH along.

So, in summary a good deterrent and OK to operate. I would recommend. Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by JSP Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's input, food for thought. 

Rgds

John
JSP
JSP

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:41 pm

We have used a disklok for years, and as has been said, they are a great visual deterrent. They are heavy, but once you are used to putting it on and taking off, they are easy to use and they do not damage the steering wheel, if you get the correct size. As for storage when not in use, we put ours in the wardrobe in our end bathroom. It fits perfectly on the bottom under the cloths. No bending, so no back pains!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:46 pm

We used a Stoplock Airbag 4x4 in the Clubman, and now in the Boxer, but more of a visual deterrent than totally effective! As others have said, hope that 'they' move on to an easier target!!

Andy
AndyPK
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:58 pm

AndyPK wrote:We used a Stoplock Airbag 4x4 in the Clubman, and now in the Boxer, but more of a visual deterrent than totally effective! As others have said, hope that 'they' move on to an easier target!!

Andy

The problem with those stoplocks is they don't shield the whole steering wheel and so the steering wheel itself is the weak point.

You can cut through a steering wheel with a junior hacksaw in seconds and pull those off, so while nothing will outdo a crook with a grinder, I'd rather have the disklok as a better deterrent.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:08 pm

To be fair, if 'they' have managed to get into the 'van and disabled the alarm, 'they' will steal it! Time to activate The Tracker!!!

so_sad
AndyPK
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 pm

My 4tress steering lock also looks the part, it's a great lump of metal bar but the bits that actually go around the steering wheel could be cut with a grinder despite it being Thatcham approved. Most of my faith is put in the clutch claw that I also use. All the steering locks can be disabled whilst sitting in the driver's seat with the door shut. The clutch claw cannot be cut whilst sat in the seat, it's physically impossible to get at it whilst sat down so it would have to be attacked standing outside with door open creating noise. All simply to slow a thief down and hopefully move to another van, I just hope it's not someone's here.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:20 am

To cover theft  of van or contents members may be interested in an alarm. I had a Vanblitz alarm.It was able to stop my van contents or total theft  occuring in Spain, January 2000.
Its expensive. I dont have one on my latest van. However it is stored in a gold secure site.
When travelling i keep the van occupied in the hours of darkness.
The largest risk is a van left unoccupied for some time.The main weakness is the windows.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by opatija Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:44 am

Hi John,
Had one for years. First on my Pollensa, followed by my Talisman and now my Kemerton. Easy to use, a bit heavy but well made. Travels behind the driver's seat in it's purpose made bag. Takes less than a minute to reach behind and put on the steering wheel. When travelling short distances at home I just put it on the floor between the front seats.
I also have an alarm so, hopefully the combination of the two, should deter any would be thief.
I have the large one and use some self-adhesive pads on the inside to protect the steering wheel.

Frank
opatija
opatija

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:31 pm

tap_fingers I have a Stoplock I bought for my Landrovers and the Duetto.  I cant use it on the Rienza because the horn is permanently live not ignition controlled. No matter how I fitted the Stoplock the horn sounds. To be honest I have dead locks on the cab and habitation doors so in theory it should take longer to get in so might deter the low lives trying to drive the van away.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Best I have seen is a swivel seat turned backwards and a padlock through the frame, confused the hell out of them
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:21 pm

breakaleg wrote:Best I have seen is a swivel seat turned backwards and a padlock through the frame, confused the hell out of them
Pete

It's a good one to initially confuse, another deterrent at least.

As always mentioned, using layers of these is the best bet and not relying on any one method.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down