Is your van cold in winter

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is your van cold in winter

Post by AndyPK on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:48 am

More carpet a good idea! We put a cab overmat in the Clubman (done the same in our new 'van), and that made a difference even when driving.
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:43 am

The very thin foil loft insulation referred to earlier (screwfix sell it in small amounts) would almost certainly work as a barrier in doors because you could maintain the air gap..... I have a little left over and might try it. Put some in the loft of an outbuilding  I am building at Groundhog Castle and thought this flimsy stuff will never work.....now eating my words, worked a treat!
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 am

I have put that foam/foil under the carpet, from B&Q , stuck down here and there with double sided tape, also have made covers for the kitchen / bathroom roof lights,used some of my crafting card and covered on both sides with the foam / foil ,  they stop in well, easy to take out if wanting to use the gas cooker. I also filled the table leg holders with foam chips in a plastic bag enclosed in foil, the chips push down to a solid mass and filled the hole, the caps still fit. the polystyrene chips that you get in packing boxes. when on the floor fitting the foil sheeting, notice the draught from under the cooker, the vent is lower inside obviously not touching that, it is the strip higher up between the drop down door and the cooker casing, have shoved a mat closer to the cooker.

Also have Silver Screens, next to track the cab droughts, have carpet bound on top of cab carpet same carpet, that was done from original,  have put an extra carpet runner on top of the carpet in habitation side, so that covers the small gap under the fridge. Haven`t as yet made a cover for the Heki2,
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi

I used a shower curtain and adjustable bar to isolate the cabin from habitation area, I also sealed the gap between the seats with a small square piece of ply.   This made a great difference for a small outlay.  This all fits neatly behind the passenger seat when not in use.   Also seal the gap round the fridge and close the heater vents.

Andy up! up!

andygump

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Be aware of the fact that some of the ground level vents that are probably letting in draughts are intended as gas drop vents. Don't block too many off or, if you do have a leak from a heater or cooker, there will be no-where for gas to leave the van.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:39 pm

That is why I said I wasn`t doing anything with the one in the floor under the cooker. the draught between the cookers low door and the cooker frame are not involved with the vent  in the floor. If you can understand me.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:27 pm

daisy mae wrote:That is why I said I wasn`t doing anything with the one in the floor under the cooker. the draught between the cookers low door and the cooker frame are not involved with the vent  in the floor. If you can understand me.

Sorry...didn't mean you or anyone in particular. I was just making a general remark. I've come across a lot of people who make a point of bunging up all the vents in their van, sometimes with aerosol foam, not realising that they do have a serious purpose.  

so_sad
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 pm

It`s ok Quilter, didn`t take it as referring to me, thought it was a general remark, just pointing out what I did. dont_mentionIt

I have come across people who have put plastic over all the vents as well.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by galavanter on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:32 pm

we have just returned from a cold weekend in gatecombe used the double bed for a change that was a lot better than singles we had spare quilt so put it over back of driver and passengers seats that made a fair difference. still to get the exterior screens for her there are a lot of drafts but will just dress accordingly
galavanter

Male

Auto-Sleeper : gatcombe
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:37 am

Amazing, to think that with all the extraneous cold drafts that readily invade our vans, there was any need (for regulatory safety reasons) to have added ventilation surrounding windows and skylights. It seems more likely we will all succumb to hypothermia rather than carbon monoxide emissions. snigger

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:12 am

Too true!!

hugegrins hugegrins
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Foam pipe insulation is a handy thing to use to stop draughts. It comes in different sizes and even colours and can be cut into different shapes and wedges easily into gaps. On our last van I cut several half lengths and fitted them on the bottom edge of the down drawn blinds. This had the effect of stopping any down draughts from the windows and blocking any morning sunshine that used to shine dirctly into my eyes in the bed underneath.

No need for this with AS updrawn blinds but I still have 101 uses for pipe insultion in the van and always carry a couple of lengths.
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 pm

We get a real blast of air coming in the vent at the side of the microwave surround. Traced it to the two outside vents allowing any windage to just blow straight in to the van. Have done a bit of research on the requirements for microwave ventilation and the internal vent is quite sufficient. (Albeit AS say the additional vents are a build requirement.) So, for winter use I put covers over the outside vents which has made a huge difference.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Yes, that cold draught from the microwave surround can cut your face in half and make your eyes water. We insulated with foam strips but on the other hand, others on this forum have reported their microwaves have overheated and switched off without any application to restrict ventilation. Also if you have habitation access to any external locker, this will contribute to that cold front moving about your van.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 am

Paramedic wrote:Yes, that cold draught from the microwave surround can cut your face in half and make your eyes water. We insulated with foam strips but on the other hand, others on this forum have reported their microwaves have overheated and switched off without any application to restrict ventilation. Also if you have habitation access to any external locker, this will contribute to that cold front moving about your van.
Ours has the large 5"x3" approx vent next to the microwave and we haven't sealed around the front and so far no issues. We don't do long cooks in it though, mostly morning porridge and veg (not for bkfst  hugegrins ).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

Jaytee wrote:
Paramedic wrote:Yes, that cold draught from the microwave surround can cut your face in half and make your eyes water. We insulated with foam strips but on the other hand, others on this forum have reported their microwaves have overheated and switched off without any application to restrict ventilation. Also if you have habitation access to any external locker, this will contribute to that cold front moving about your van.
Ours has the large 5"x3" approx vent next to the microwave and we haven't sealed around the front and so far no issues. We don't do long cooks in it though, mostly morning porridge and veg (not for bkfst  hugegrins ).

You mean you don't heat Brian's dinner in the microwave John,  hugegrins
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 pm