Is everyone all done for the year

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is everyone all done for the year

Post by Askit on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Roger, we had a few days parked up in Anstruther earlier this year (in what's laughingly called our summer). Great coast walks to Crail and Pittenweem, which had the festival on.

My problem with getting away at this time of year is not getting the MH on the road, it's how early it gets dark in the afternoon. Several years ago we rented a, well I was going to say cottage but it was actually a brick built outhouse at the bottom of someone's garden, in the Lake District. It was a cold January and a mid-morning stroll along a low level track was just about tolerable, but getting pelted with freezing icy snow and it getting dark around 3.00pm wasn't. 

Some may see it as romantic but, when it's like that, I would rather have my home comforts.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi Tony    wave

Having already filled our bellies twice with fruits of the sea yesterday, we had no problem for once bypassing the Anstruther Fish Bar on our way back to Crail.  That is one of our usual pleasures, parking the motorhome down by the Lifeboat ramp overlooking the harbour and enjoying a fish supper or sometimes a takeaway from the excellent Indian.

Did you try the Wee Chippie in Anstruther whilst you were there?   I'm told they're about as good but have much shorter queues.

Another favourite is to get our fish suppers from either Tail End or Cromars in St Andrews then park up overlooking the sea by the castle.

I know what you mean about the dark nights, that's why we tend to do days out in the motorhome in the winter months but then come back to a cosy house afterwards.

Gettin saft in oor auld age!

drinksallround
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Roger, we used the site at Cellardyke so our "fish fix" was acquired at the Haven (and very good it was too up! ). I thought the lobster hut at Crail was astonishing, with plenty of takers from Spain, France, Japan etc, but hardly any from the UK  scratch head

I did take a wrong turn, heading through St Andrews for Forfar (navigator got the blame  snigger) and got stuck at the arches. Thank goodness for the reversing camera or my three point turn on the main drag would have been a nightmare  content

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetpea on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:59 pm

just back from 2/12 in france and italy.had to come back as we were expecting a grandaughter on 5 nov.I moaned my way round the Cinque Terre world heritage walk which was far too hot and crowded.give anything to be back there now.can't get warm after that long away.no grandaughter yet,either.
feeling cold and cheated but these things can'tbe rushed.

crogga
sweetpea

Male

Auto-Sleeper : peugeot executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Wait until it snows this evening - winter is here!!
AndyPK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:18 pm

AndyPK wrote:Wait until it snows this evening - winter is here!!

allthumbz hugegrins cold

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by North Wales Etonite on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:31 pm

I was away this weekend near Tamworth and have two more trips planned for December but have booked hook up for the these trips, need to keep warm! I will keep going through the Winter as one of the reasons I've bought the van is to attend events in my Winter based sport.
North Wales Etonite

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Eton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:37 pm

'Winter based sport'............. Curling perhaps?

AndyPK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by North Wales Etonite on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:40 pm

No, Canicross - running cross country attached to a mad dog!
North Wales Etonite

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Eton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Get your snow chains out folks, looks like they are finally going to get some use this year!  hugegrins
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 am

We are due to set off tomorrow for a week in the lakes. Mission control is hunting for valium and Im struggling locating my thermals, we must be bloody mad, especially given that Im looking forward to giving the scooter a run out. Ive got a funny feeling i might be doing that on my lonesome, lol.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch on Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:15 am

What an eclectic bunch we are!! Planning a couple of trips over the winter; away between Christmas and New Year (SWMBO family in Northumberland and New Year planned for a hotel in Lincolnshire) so rather than do 2 trips 'camping' near York (found a lot of sites already fully booked!) for a couple of nights.
Also off to west Wales for a few days for a works reunion and planing to see the 'Starling Murmuration' on the Somerset levels at some point. So far, manage to keep van on drive so although drained down etc. can get ready to roll in about 45 minutes!
I too love frosty clear days with a dusting of snow - it's the damp 'claggy' days which I'm not keen on! Bring it on!! Andy
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:09 am

Looking forward to a long weekend in York with friends for some xmas shopping. Love it there but hopefully the floods stay away. lol.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:09 pm

I'll be heading back south from Fife in the motorhome over the next few days, although finding suitable sites that are still open and not too far off the route is proving a challenge.

I used to do it in a one-er by getting up early and having a midday nap then getting home very late, or else sleep the afternoon before then drive through the night when the roads are less busy, but I'm getting too long in the tooth now for those capers.

Now I tend to limit it to 2-3 hours driving per day if possible.  As it's just me* on this trip then it works out just as cheap to use full facility club sites as it does CLs/CSs and more chance of hard-standing, but it's a shame so many of the potential locations are closed at this time of year.

So far I've got Knaresborough booked as it's roughly half way - just need to sort the 'quarter' legs out now.

* Mrs B has gone separately as we had the car up here as well, so she'll stop in comfy hotels and with family on the way - she doesn't do cold weather camping! 
cold
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:27 pm

rogerblack wrote:I'll be heading back south from Fife in the motorhome over the next few days, although finding suitable sites that are still open and not too far off the route is proving a challenge.

I used to do it in a one-er by getting up early and having a midday nap then getting home very late, or else sleep the afternoon before then drive through the night when the roads are less busy, but I'm getting too long in the tooth now for those capers.

Now I tend to limit it to 2-3 hours driving per day if possible.  As it's just me* on this trip then it works out just as cheap to use full facility club sites as it does CLs/CSs and more chance of hard-standing, but it's a shame so many of the potential locations are closed at this time of year.

So far I've got Knaresborough booked as it's roughly half way - just need to sort the 'quarter' legs out now.

* Mrs B has gone separately as we had the car up here as well, so she'll stop in comfy hotels and with family on the way - she doesn't do cold weather camping! 
cold
I must be a little bit weird because the colder it is, the more i enjoy it. I love coming in from a good spin on the bike to a warm and cozy van with a nice mug of tea and kicking back on the seat with feet up and a good film. The colder it is outside and the more it rains, the better it is for me and if it snows whilst Im all snuggled up, it makes the cost of the van seem insignificant.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 pm

samleeds wrote:I must be a little bit weird because the colder it is, the more i enjoy it. The colder it is outside and the more it rains, the better it is for me and if it snows whilst Im all snuggled up, it makes the cost of the van seem insignificant.

You would have enjoyed being in Southport on the ASOC rally on Saturday then!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davey on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi we go all year only heavy snow will stop us, as we can not stop in snow or get any drive we have tried  shrugg We have extra heating and some thick woolies  and look for sites with a hard standing happy camping everyone

Dave
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:21 pm

We used to have that problem, Davey - in fact even wet grass or a bit of mud and we'd lose grip.  Then a few years ago I started fitting TOYO H09 M&S (mud & snow) tyres and we haven't looked back.  We've driven along snow covered roads in Scotland with cars stranded by the roadside, no problems at all.  

The problem with standard tyres is that they go rigid in cold weather so the tread doesn't flex and hence you lose grip in cold, wet weather even without snow.  Also the M&S tyres have special tread forms called sipes which trap snow and that then sticks to the snow on the road, helping to grip.

I now also fit similar tyres on the car and we've been up Glenshee in heavy snow with no problem gripping or stopping.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:16 am

Sorry off topic. Just read up on those tyres Roger, look pretty good up!

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:23 am

Jaytee wrote:Sorry off topic. Just read up on those tyres Roger, look pretty good up!
They are a similar spec to the ones you already have John

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Just to prove a point we have just had two nights at York and two nights near Beamish. As mentioned in another post after a senior moment with regardss to the Duvet we had a nice break with lots of Christmas things going on.
The Rienza is a lot warmer than the Dueto ever was. We had to put the heater on gas and mains for about half an hour in York on the second night. There was frost on the ground the following morning. cold
Modern vans are built for longer seasons than just the summer. Were and when next I wonder. think_smiley_46

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:09 pm

we spent 2 nights in york and the water fire bucket was frozen but we were cozy and warm inside with my best sleep for weeks. Dont know why, but I sleep better in the van.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Spent last weekend away in Cenarth. Temps well below freezing but enjoyed seeing the whiteout. Had a great 30 mile ride in lovely sunshine too. Off for a few days this month too.
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 pm

Back on topic.  We go somewhere every month.  Cirencester Park next..
PeteJ
pjkxpjkx

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 am

Just back from Filey brigg, very cold but nice and warm in van, can't beat a clifftop walk on a frosty but sunny morning.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Auto-Sleeper : symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum