Replacing Window Stays

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Replacing Window Stays

Post by Dago on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:18 am

Hi,

With new replacement side windows coming in a few days, I was thinking it the right time to also change from the original brown ratchet type window stays. These have always been a problem when trying to set in any open position and then also to close them.

Anyone done the same and upgraded with new Polyplastic type, window stays. Or indeed used any other type of window stay?    Your thoughts & comments most welcome.

Dago

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile http://www.akrovalve.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Replacing Window Stays

Post by Yorkie+1 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:16 pm

How are your new Windows from Eeco? Hope you are pleased with them.
Sue

Female

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi Sue,
Had a bit of a problem fitting them and had to get a local firm to give the expertise to make adjustments to the frame. But only a day's work.
Much clearer to see through as the tint is slightly lighter brown than the original Windows. Must also say that the new window stays work really well and so much easier to operate and adjust.
Just hoping now that we can enjoy a few years without anymore problems.

Peter

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile http://www.akrovalve.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Archer1951 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Peter,
after contacting you about the windows I've had a call from a chap working on the shop-floor at EECO to inform me
that they are now returning new windows with the hinge strips off for fitment by the sender. The reason is they have had several customers experiencing the same fit up issues you encountered with the pins on the frame.

He did give me advice on fitting procedure whereby you fit the hinge strip in the slot first which is easier than when attached to the window.

For anyone contemplating doing it themselves......

Offer the window into the hinge strip with the bottom handles only fitted to ensure alignment is OK. 

Then remove the window & using a hard sealant adhesive apply a bead in the hinge strip & return the window into the strip close & lock & leave until it sets hard.

This as a time served coachbuilder I agree would be the best way.

In fairness to EECO there's no way they could guarantee the slots in the hinge strip will align correctly to the frame when they bond to the new windows.
Archer1951

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum