sleeping on a slope

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sleeping on a slope

Post by samleeds on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:18 pm

I dont know why but when we are in bed lying length ways on the singles, we both feel we are rolling towards the middle of the van. i guess its because the clubman seats dont have the pronounced lump on the edge that goes under the knees and keeps us from rolling off the end of the bed. Does anyone else suffer from this and has anyone ever fixed it. I am concidering raising the knee supports upward but it might look daft.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: sleeping on a slope

Post by rogerblack on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Our Pollensa has flat upholstery with no knee raised part, which would be odd anyway when converting the fore and aft facing dinette seats to one of the singles, the other being the longitudinal bench.

If parked on a sideways slope, one of us would feel inclined towards the aisle, the other to the side of the 'van, but I can't say we ever feel as if we're each rolling towards the middle. Normal beds don't have raised parts towards the edge so I can't see how flat motorhome beds would feel any different, unless they are in fact inclined towards the middle for some reason - have you tried actually checking with a spirit level?  

I'm not familiar with the layout of the Clubman or the means of making up the beds but is there anything that would affect  this like the supports having missing feet or maybe having risen up into the seat frame, a change of carpet thickness, or anything else?  

Hopefully a fellow Clubman owner who is more familiar with the setup will be along shortly.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sapper997 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi Sam,  Just a thought, maybe with twenty odd years of use the leading edges of the bench seats may have lost some
 of the support, you could try reversing the seats so that the leading edge is now against the wall thus bringing the
 firmer foam to the van aisle,...if you get what I mean,  look here  failing that, after pulling out the beds place a small square
 of 1/2" ply under each leg to raise the aisle sides up a little.....sorted  allthumbz

Ray
sapper997
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : EXECUTIVE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:57 pm

sapper997 wrote:Hi Sam,  Just a thought, maybe with twenty odd years of use the leading edges of the bench seats may have lost some
 of the support, you could try reversing the seats so that the leading edge is now against the wall thus bringing the
 firmer foam to the van aisle,...if you get what I mean,  look here  failing that, after pulling out the beds place a small square
 of 1/2" ply under each leg to raise the aisle sides up a little.....sorted  allthumbz

Ray
Ray my benches come out on a slider so cant be raised. The other idea is usefull and I will check but id thought of positioning a 4 x 1 beam across the front under the cushio to see if that cures it.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Sam, have you checked to see if the feet can be adjusted on the pull out legs, maybe they can be screwed up to lift the edges of the bed frame. Not sure about yours but they can on the later models.

norgil

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:45 am

NORGIL wrote:Sam, have you checked to see if the feet can be adjusted on the pull out legs, maybe they can be screwed up to lift the edges of the bed frame. Not sure about yours but they can on the later models.

norgil
The whole bed comes out on a fixed rail and the other side has rocker hinges so both are rooted.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 am

I frequently used to have that just-about-to-roll-out-of-bed feeling in our Topaz. We use the two singles and the cushions do not have the knee roll and are a bit narrow. My solution is to insert a rolled up (lengthways) towel under the outer edge of the topper. It doesn't need to be full length. From approximately the shoulder to the hip is adequate. A good low-tech solution !!
Keith

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:10 pm

samleeds wrote:I dont know why but when we are in bed lying length ways on the singles, we both feel we are rolling towards the middle of the van. i guess its because the clubman seats dont have the pronounced lump on the edge that goes under the knees and keeps us from rolling off the end of the bed. Does anyone else suffer from this and has anyone ever fixed it. I am concidering raising the knee supports upward but it might look daft.

Yup !! Me too, Me too, shrugg
Wife says, the seating edges are...Err !! Knackered. scratch head
Thinking of looking at getting the foam replaced, just on the seats..........the rest is fine, but the original covering needs to be put back on........ think_smiley_46
Currently, just use a strip of 2" foam, under seat cushion, on top of hard base, on one side..........and a folded up fleece blanket, sane place, on the other meanwhile. All suggestions for solutions gratefully received......... Whistle1 Whistle1
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:33 pm

I fixed it. The cushion lifts up from the back and is fastened to the seat by 4 screws on a piece of material just over 1 inch wide which is obviously attached to the cushion. I unscrewed it and placed a 1 inch thick batton by 4 inches on the edge of the seat. I then put the cushion back on and fastened the material lip which was now hanging over and down to the floor covering the wood. The material covered the wood up and we now have a perfect knee support which doubles up as a lip that keeps us in bed.

If you are all now thinking how the double bed can be made without the big lump in the middle, simple, just lift the wood off the seat and drop it down the middle of the 2 benches when they come together, job done and a miracle of engineering if i say it myself, lol.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Result drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi samleads
Any chance of some pictures?
Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi Sam,
Sounds good. and will do same myself. wave How is it fixed ? scratch head Thinking of couple of velcro strips for to stop any movement whist travelling, on each side. biggrin
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:12 pm

velcro sounds good but trust me, it doesent move anyway but my mate has his velcroed in the middle of the seat

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum