battery use

View previous topic View next topic Go down

battery use

Post by brumbrum on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:40 pm

Having just enjoyed our first few months touring getting used to the executive  and campsites i am now thinking about winter and the necessary procedures to keep the van in good fettle for next year.
I have with the use of this site downloaded all the useful information available but one question keeps coming back to me ,as i intend to keep running the van out every 2 weeks or so weather permitting just to stop brakes etc binding on would it be beneficial to turn off the power via the main fusebox in the habitation area or is it advisable to keep it on .Or does it not matter either way .
I await your answers with eagerness .
brumbrum

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : executive
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: battery use

Post by Greyhound on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:06 am

I flick my master switch off just to ensure the hab battery is somewhat isolated, but I have a solar panel anyway so will trickle charge regardless.

If running every couple of weeks I'd not have thought it was a problem.

Just make sure it's a decent run, fully up to temperature etc. A short run every 2 weeks will do more harm than good as you simply create moisture in the engine oil and exhaust that wont get burnt off and cause corrosion.
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:33 am

I keep mine on hook up when on the drive, although it is used nearly every day, in the winter I have an electric oil heater on, more for my benefit as the van is more comfortable when driving off.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:46 am

Hi

When at home we keep ours on hookup and have a battery master so the engine battery is topped up as well as the leisure battery. I have just recently had the engine battery replaced as it was starting to lose charge after a week or so if not on hookup, due to drain from alarm, radio standby etc. Having got 10 years from the old battery I thought it had done pretty well.

I do try and take it for a decent run out at least every 2-3 weeks especially during the winter months and sometimes take it up to our place in Scotland over Christmas & New Year so it gets a good long motorway run.

It has M&S tyres all round so does well even in the low temperatures and snowy weather.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 am

brumbrum wrote:
I have with the use of this site downloaded all the useful information available but one question keeps coming back to me ,as i intend to keep running the van out every 2 weeks or so weather permitting just to stop brakes etc binding on would it be beneficial to turn off the power via the main fusebox in the habitation area or is it advisable to keep it on .Or does it not matter either way .
I await your answers with eagerness .

Please clarify which power switch and fuse box you are referring too; whether you have a solar panel and whether you hook up to mains whilst the van is parked at home.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: