gas fire problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

gas fire problems

Post by samleeds on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Trauma s 3000

Last night worked ok after a little coaxing. Today no chance. Turn it to 5 or 10 makes no difference, push down then ignite the pilot. The pilot lights everytime, but after 10 30 or even 55 seconds, when the switch is released very slowly, the pilot goes out. Tried everything and there is gas pulled through as I put the gas burners on to pull the gas through. Any ideas out there.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: gas fire problems

Post by Cymro on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:02 pm

May well be insufficient pressure in the cylinder because it's almost empty. I used to find that although I could hear liquid in the cylinder if I shook it, and although there was enough gas coming through to run a hob burner, the space heater on my Clubman wouldn't work because there wasn't enough pressure. Try swapping the cylinder.

I ssume you're running propane, not butane - or, if on butane, it wasn't freezing when you tried (we had frost last night).
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:10 pm

I am using lpg and it is 7/8 full. As I said, it worked fine yesterday but not today. cooking all works fine and plenty of pressure there.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:38 pm

sorted, just raised the casing up 1/8 of an inch. the casing had dropped.. working fine now

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Well done! 
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: gas fire problem

Post by paul.t on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Just for the record, and in case it will help anyone in the future, the symptoms you describe perfectly fit a failure of the thermocouple.

The thermocouple looks like a piece of thick copper wire which pokes into your pilot light. It's job is to detect the heat from the pilot light and if the pilot ever goes out then the thermocouple shuts off the gas. This prevents you from being gassed or blown up.

The problem is that the thermocouple is a failsafe. When it fails, it shuts off the gas even though everything else is working perfectly. And since it spends it's working life in a gas flame, a thermocouple usually has only a limited life span.

They are a standard replacement part, often generic for a variety of models, and are not expensive or difficult to replace.

In your case, there is probably a fair chance that the thermocouple is attached to the casing. When the casing dropped the thermocouple was not properly aligned. Re-positioning the case fixed it.
paul.t

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum