Peugeot Boxer corrosion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Peugeot Boxer corrosion

Post by pixie on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:42 pm

We have been looking to buy a motorhome for a couple of months now.  Our first choice  is the Clubman, but they are few and far between.  Travelled down to Wales (360 mile return trip) to look at one, the inside was in awful condition.  Have discovered the Executive is really a Clubman on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, so have looked at one or two.  One was nearby, with no MOT, so took our mechanic friend with us and he got underneath with his torch, found some corrosion which, together with new exhaust, he reckons would cost us £1,000 to get it through the MOT (plus anything that came to light once it was up on ramps).  It's a '95 moho with 70,000 on the clock.  Would you guys touch this?
Also, in your experience, how do Peugeot Boxers compare with Ford Transits of this age for corrosion?
pixie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Peugeot Boxer corrosion

Post by Gromit on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:58 pm

To answer your questions, "Probably not", and "Usually better"!

A couple of our members are red hot at spotting good buys, so I would suggest you start a new thread and ask if anyone knows of a good example of what you would prefer.

A few basic details required.  Model, habitation layout, approximate budget etc..

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:34 pm

There are 3 on ebay at present one at £16995 with full service history and docs. Looks very clean.
 Just looked at the one at £12995 and that looks very good from a private sale.
moggyminor1966

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:19 pm

pixie wrote:We have been looking to buy a motorhome for a couple of months now.  Our first choice  is the Clubman, but they are few and far between.  Travelled down to Wales (360 mile return trip) to look at one, the inside was in awful condition.  Have discovered the Executive is really a Clubman on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, so have looked at one or two.  One was nearby, with no MOT, so took our mechanic friend with us and he got underneath with his torch, found some corrosion which, together with new exhaust, he reckons would cost us £1,000 to get it through the MOT (plus anything that came to light once it was up on ramps).  It's a '95 moho with 70,000 on the clock.  Would you guys touch this?
Also, in your experience, how do Peugeot Boxers compare with Ford Transits of this age for corrosion?

A lot depends on:
What the seller was asking for it.

When your mechanic said £1000, was that to do a proper permanent job or just to bodge it up to get it through the MOT?
[I paid around £40 for my last exhaust system BTW - I fitted it though].

I've never owned a Transit but the good folk on here seem to think that they are rust prone but the panels are cheap.
I've just spent a couple of days making sparks under my '95 van, but mine's a panel van and the chassis will be different so not really a good comparison.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by pixie on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice.  I think it will be the Clubman or nowt, we'll just have to keep looking.  Hope we get one before next spring!!
pixie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:52 pm

pixie wrote:Thanks for the advice.  I think it will be the Clubman or nowt, we'll just have to keep looking.  Hope we get one before next spring!!
Don't be under the illusion that VWs don't rust - they do!

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:41 pm

pixie wrote:Thanks for the advice.  I think it will be the Clubman or nowt, we'll just have to keep looking.  Hope we get one before next spring!!
Maybe too far for you to view but seems a good example and reasonable mileage and price.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/114972980/feb-1994-auto-sleeper-2-berth-clubman-gl-motorhome.html?link=%2Fadverts%2Flist%3Fkeyword%3Dvw%2Bclubman%2Bautosleeper%2Bfor%2Bsale
moggyminor1966

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pixie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:40 pm

Boxerman, thanks for your reply.  Our mechanic was quoting for a top quality job for us.
pixie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pixie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Thanks for your help and interest, folks.  We decided we wouldn't pursue the Executive, and will now concentrate on getting a Clubman.
pixie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Took us a year and a half to find one worth buying.  In the end it was a chance meeting on a local petrol station forecourt where I pulled in beside it and kind of hijacked the owner for advice etc.  Turned out they were in the process of buying a canal boat and were selling in a few months.  
I gave them my business card and amazingly a few months later they rang.  We're now the proud owners of a pretty immaculate example for far less money than Stealers had wanted for older tatty higher miles ones.  
There were a few for sale on here a while back, I'd check those out if they're still available.  All the vans we looked at on Stealers forecourts were overpriced and tatty.
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VWClubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pixie on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Glad you managed to find your ideal Clubman, Bmwdrumptruck.  Will just keep on looking.
pixie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pixie on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Glad to say we found one today, 2.5 TDi, the model my husband was keen on.  Collect it next week, and looking forward to a few nights away.
pixie

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum