OCD or what?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OCD or what?

Post by TeamRienza on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi all.

Spent last night in a flurry of laminating. Don't know if it's my age or just an obsession but I am always concerned That I will forget something before pulling off site, how often have you seen a caravan with a rooflight open doing 70mph up a motorway, so I have laminated up some little credit card reminders which i leave on the drivers seat when something needs remembering.

I have four.

Electric. rooflight, steadies, and Aerial.

I also have a couple of checklists (A5) which lie in the van listing food items, washkit, cameras, etc for a weekend. The second is the more serious one which covers passports e111's tickets, euros etc. I also have laminated the important photo page of the passport with a photocopy of the E111 on the reverse. The originals can then stay in the safe that i fitted to the van.

Last nights addition was photocopies of the correct connection of jumper leads and sequence for jump starting from the ford handbook. Also the jacking points and nut sequence for wheel changes with pressures and torques (also from the Ford handbook)

These are kept above the sunvisor for quick ref, since they will only be needed on a wet dark night in a hurry!!
The reason for the last addition is my experience of changing a tyre at a tyre depot which I think i posted about. If not I will Repost it here.

All the best,

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OCD or what?

Post by CC on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 am

Hi Davy

Must admit I often think of the consequences of driving away while still being plugged into the electric hook up, the worrying thing is I could imagine it's very easy to do, as for our roof light we have driven some distance with ours open before realizing but it does seem fairly sturdy at normal road speed.

Think the newer vehicles should have some kind of audible warning onboard should you attempt to drive off with the EHU plugged in, maybe the newer more upmarket ones do I'm not sure?

CC

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:58 am

We carefully check round the outside of the vab and then carefully check the inside before driving off and seeing a cupboard door swing open dunno . My worst was driving off forgetting that I had been positioned up against a concrete post, luckily there was no damage and I put the post back,oops,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

CruizingComet wrote:
Must admit I often think of the consequences of driving away while still being plugged into the electric hook upCC

Been there - Seen it - Bought the T shirt

I think it was the same day I drove away with the "Driveaway" awning still attached - God how my wife laughed - :whistle: :whistle:

Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 pm

TeamRienza wrote:
Don't know if it's my age or just an obsession but I am always concerned That I will forget something before pulling off site, how often have you seen a caravan with a rooflight open doing 70mph up a motorway, so I have laminated up some little credit card reminders

Love this ideaof reminders. I always thought about doing "lists" but never got round to it; and yes - we've driven off with the roof light open, and electric site lead attached!! - think a laminated list would be brill. Thanks TeamRienza

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeGee7 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 pm

We use a laminated list which I have tucked into the driver's sunvisor and has been modified over time to suit.
Due to a couple of occasions when I left the satellite dish up and forgot to lock the kitchen slide section I now use the check list every time.
The satellite dish wasn't a problem but when the slide banged open I nearly filled my trousers!

DeeGee7

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 am

Another such golden moment which happened to us was when the cutlery drawer shot out when I braked (not having put the catch on the drop-down fascia before setting off). Sounded like the 1812 being played in the back of the van, as all the cutlery showered around!
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

O C D no a good idea i say

Post by dotsontour on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:45 pm

lists are a good idea after all we are only human.if i drop the steadies i always put the winding handle
across the clutch brake and gas pedals.then you cant drive away with steadies down.
but also use lists
regards
june and dave
dotsontour

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Good idea that dotsontour

We have had a sticker on the drivers door quarterlite that has had reminders on - Auto Sleepers must put them on

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:02 pm

As above, Auto-Sleepers have stuck a very useful sticker on the quarterlight. Interestingly, I started the engine today just for a test and the control panel screamed at me because I hadn't disconnected the hook-up. Top marks whoever thought of that one.

I also stick a piece of tape on the steering wheel to remind me of something (anything) that I might have forgotten. Doesn't always work blushes
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

share my own "moment"

Post by Grahamjane on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:42 pm

sounds like you all appreciate a grey moment. Confession.
I had a VW t28? camper, huge box of a van. 20 years ago.

I was servicing the engine on the street in our culdesack.
very heavy camber to the road had led me to jack up the vehicle on the front kerbside....
of course I put the handbrake on and put it in gear...

I serviced it, oil points, plugs, filter...

Jane came out with a coffee and asked how I was getting on. I proudly said all done, look.. I lent into the vehicle and twisted the ignition key.......It started and despite having the handbrake on, being rear drive it lurched forward, dropped of its axle stand and shunted three cars forward. My heart was pounding and the air was blue. Anger, embaressment, shame, it all floods through..

All three neigbours were very good and I had to do some work to their cars as a result!
Grahamjane

Auto-Sleeper : symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 pm

I too make lists so not to forget stuff, get to where were going only to find I've forgotten the list............DOH tap_fingers

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Re: OCD or What

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 am

Hi,
Reading these posts, I'm pleased to find I'm quite normal. I thought I was the only one who did 'reminders'! Mrs D thinks I'm obsessive.
However I have printed a tick list for when the 'van is wintering, ie tanks empty, drained, battery on charge, fridge off, handbrake off, in gear etc. This is taped to the steering wheel 'just in case'! allthumbz
Point of interest is that my Grand daughter who is OCD also thinks I'm strange -you can't win! scratch head
Mike D

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:45 am

Hi All,

Our youngest Daughter (now 41) use to keep Chris & Me on the ‘straight and narrow’ with lists ….

1) Things to buy
2) Things to stay in the van
3) Things to put in the van
4) Things now in the van
5) Things …….

Use to drive us mad ….. Needless to say, the first time without her ……………........ hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OCD or what

Post by murph on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

we us a list stuck to a piece of plywood with a tool clip on the back, to clip on the steering wheel, photo in Monoquoce back in October.

Brian
murph

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OCD

Post by newterry on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 pm

I love lists ! How about a height, length and width card. I also do a good impression of a truck driver doing his morning walk round the outside, then a flight attendant doing pre-flight checks inside starting at the back and walking forward, arms out touching all the cupboard doors and talking to myself, fridge to 12v, gas off, rooflights down etc ! Then Mrs H cuts in with a reminder and I have to start all over again !
Completely bonkers, good job I'm inside out of sight, but it seems to work although one day I drove away from the side of house with the van plugged in, blew the entire fuseboard !!. blushes
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:53 am

My favourite "forget to do" is locking the fridge resulting in the door flying open waving in the breeze and spreading the contents over the van floor, usually happens when turning a corner or on a roundabout with me desperately glancing over my shoulder to assess the damage whilst trying to maintain safe control of the vehicle. confused0 I now have post it notes as an aide memoire but they have a habit of dropping off and laying unoticed on the floor. confused3
I'm really glad the milk and wine bottles have screw on caps these days hugegrins

Cheers John up!
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am

The one critical reminder I have not seen mentioned is "Turn Gas Off"...............This may not be a problem when driving off, but in the event of an accident it could cause an explosion. The list on the drivers side window of our 1996 Duetto is a brilliant hint, and reminds me to check things not mentioned. Admittedly though I always seem to forget either a cupboard or drawer button so jump out of my skin when something falls out confused3

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogersrimini on Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I've done a few of these: Left pop up roof 'up'. Lost the crockery on a steep access road to a slate quarry (scary, noisy,messy, inconvenient unwell ). Cleaved the keys off in the toilet hatch by sliding the side door open and some of those already mentioned. Still don't use cards or lists. Tried it but I had to remember to look at them. I reckon trying to remember several things is better then remembering one, if you forget the one you really stuffed! I've tried lists and labels and I'd add 'Water' and 'Loo' to those already mentioned just as a reminder to fill or empty as appropriate before re-pitching for the night.
rogersrimini

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi there,

There is no checklist for "Petal" because:

o Helen does the "inside" except for the roof lights (which she can't reach).

o I do the "outside" and roof lights.

However, I do have an A4 sized list (complete with "Tick-Boxes") for the house, garage, shed and garden before we leave home for any length of time.

Which is why, when we got back from France and Finland at the end of last month, I was surprised to discover that I had failed to lock the back door before we left!

DOH!!!
bouncing bouncing

Best regards,

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 pm

What was your address again??? allthumbz
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 am

Steve,

The last burglar left us a fiver! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tcarne on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:26 am

Hi All,

Another favourite is if you have different fuels for your van and car.

I was so worried about putting the wrong fuel in the newly acquired diesel car, so I have always put a pair of the blue hand protector gloves over the internal fuel cap.

I don't know where I would be without lists, however, I do try to memorise what's on them so that I keep the little grey cell active!

tc
tcarne

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OCD or what

Post by murph on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:42 am

Hi All,
I use a check list stuck to a piece of plywood, for use before driving away, type lists into the search box for a photo of it. It lives on the dashboard when not in use.

Brian2
murph

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum