Fridge gas ignitor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fridge gas ignitor

Post by peanuts on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi All,

Just gone to light the gas on the electrolux fridge (it's on a 2001 Pollensa) prior to going away tomorrow and it lit straight away as always but, the problem is the electronic ignitor won't stop working confused3 , it's happily sparking away, inside a nice blue flame!! Anyone any ideas please as to what to do? Can I turn the ignitor off once it's lit? I query this as somewhere in the back of my tiny little mind scratch head I seem to remember reading /hearing that you leave it on in case the gas blows out so it will re-ignite and not just pump gas in to the fresh air, or did I just dream that? frustrating Is it still necessary now 'modern' fridges are externally vented, then again if someone passed by and threw a fag away! quick_run  Thanks in advance for any help, Peanuts.
peanuts

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fridge gas ignitor

Post by bikeralw on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Several of us have had this problem. With me it happened on an aire on the first night of our holidays. At first I thought the flame wasn't lighting, but peering down the hole there it was, just that the sparking device didn't know it.
On investigation it seems it's ok to turn the ignitor off, it doesn't affect the flame failure device.
When time allowed a few days later I removed the lower grill and took out the whole burner and gave it a clean. It didn't make any difference, the ignitor carried on sparking even though the flame was lit. I just switched it off every time.
Several weeks went by with this arrangement, then as suddenly as the fault had started, it cured itself!
This was a few years ago and touch wood I've never had the problem since.
I think for a complete cure a fridge control panel has to be fitted, about £70.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post by peanuts on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 pm

Cheers Al, that's the kind of solution I like, FREE! I'll just turn it off (and on) as appropriate, feel relieved no gas will escape. As you did I'd already had it apart and cleaned it all up to no avail, I can wait a few months to see what happens next, thanks again, Peanuts
peanuts

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:54 pm

The one on my last van was the same - sometime around 6 years old it stopped being able to detect that the burner was alight. As above, there's a flame failure device built in as well, so no danger of gas leaking if it goes out. I'm not convinced about the idea of leaving the igniter on anyway, even when it was working properly, as I suspect that the flame failure device would cut the gas before the igniter had time to re-light it - but in my case it was academic, as the burner flame ~never~ blew out - the only time it would stop working was if the gas ran out!
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:39 pm

It will quite happily relight the flame before the gas goes off; I find it especially useful when I've changed the gas and there's air in the pipe. It relights it two or three times before it settles. No harm in turning it off though.

As I understand it, the electrode has to be pointing at the thermocouple and be in the hottest part of the flame. As it's unlikely to have moved (it'll be rusted solid most likely) then the flame must have moved, i.e. the jet has become slightly obstructed or there's a problem with gas flow through the flue (less likely). Or the igniter module is broken of course but it probably isn't that because it's sparking.

It'll most likely just start working again, or the jet will get completely blocked and you'll have to clean it.
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum