Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly Magazine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly Magazine

Post by jap1122334 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi everyone I own an 2001 Autosleeper Pollensa on a Boxer 2.5 and a 1997 Talisman on same Boxer and a Symphony on a Talbot Express 1994 and I have contacted Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly Magazine and they only keep copies from around 2015, and as far as I am aware there is no where i can find any information as to what was in any issue. Now my guess is that many of you out there will have issues hidden in the loft or other places or heaven forbid even thinking of throwing them out, well I have an idea to set up a website in honour of the acclaimed Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly Magazine and put up a website detailing the contents of each issue and making this available to owners of old Autosleepers and the like. So the question...... Has anyone got any old issues that i could borrow (and send back) to see if this project has any wheels in the first place . as always comments always welcome.
jap1122334

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman/Polensa/Sym
Vehicle Year : Boxer 19

View user profile http://derbyshire-motorhome-hire.co.uk/index.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly Magazine

Post by -mojo- on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:54 pm

jap1122334 wrote:I have an idea to set up a website in honour of the acclaimed Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly Magazine and put up a website detailing the contents of each issue and making this available to owners of old Autosleepers and the like.

This is ambiguous - if you mean that you intend to make the ~content~ available, do you have the permission of the copyright holder to do this? You will not (legally) be able to make their content available to others without it.

Of more interest (to me) - why do you own three motorhomes??? Big family?
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jap1122334 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Before anyone batters me with "copyright" stuff it is not illegal to ask the opinion of others, and I would imagine that the magazine may be happy for a website to have back issues for reference open to the public, we will have to see what they say come the time. You cannot buy back issues from before 2015 unless anyone else knows differently, so please keep your copyright comments to yourselves for the time being and let me just see if there are any wheels in the project!!
jap1122334

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm

And how many caravans behind the motorhomes?
Personally I keep two or three months copies before passing on to neighbours who have motorhomes or chucking in the recycling. If you wait a couple of years you'll find the same topics come around again and again in MMM.

Telling members 'to keep your copyright comments to yourself' is not going to make many friends on here.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jap1122334 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Sorry I think the line is "please keep your copyright comments to yourselves for the time being" that is not " keep your copyright comments to yourself " is it Paul.
I have not asked about copyright anywhere in my post have I, all I wanted to do was try and put some useful information on reviews and test drives etc from older models which will no longer be available ever unless someone archives this information, indeed if it is still available.
jap1122334

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Take a look at the ASOC website and check the 'technical group'. You will find they archive road tests and reviews (for members only, I'm not such a member so can't say how many there are).

http://www.asoc.uk.com/tig.htm

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:17 pm

We had the OK from Auto Sleepers a few years ago for putting manual copies on the forum if they were not already on the AS website
All I need is a file ready scanned etc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:39 pm

roli wrote:We had the OK from Auto Sleepers a few years ago for putting manual copies on the forum

Sure - AutoSleepers are not likely to care much, as they are in the business of selling motorhomes, not user manuals. However, publishing copies of a magazine where the magazine itself is the company's main product is likely to be a different matter.

jap1122334 wrote:please keep your copyright comments to yourselves

If the people that run this forum reckon it's alright for me to raise the issue of copyright, I'll raise the issue of copyright.

The point that I'm making is that you need to get the permission of Warners Group before you start to ask for other people's input - because it's a fundamental prerequisite. You and anyone else will be wasting your time otherwise, because it will be copyright violation to publish the content if you don't. The fact that you "imagine that the magazine may be happy for a website to have back issues for reference open to the public" is pretty much irrelevant - what actually matters is whether they will give you formal permission.

So there you have it - please consider the issue of copyright to have been raised, and referred to in no uncertain terms. If you don't wish to read about these issues, please feel free not to read my posts.
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Redwink on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:50 pm

I know you don't want to be battered with copyright, but I would go down this route before going any further, you may have noticed that most publications have strap lines regarding copyright, just check out the copyright page on published books, it may not be the magazine, but the author of articles that hold the copyright.
Redwink

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.motorhomesnippets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:27 pm

jap1122334 wrote:Before anyone batters me with "copyright" stuff it is not illegal to ask the opinion of others, and I would imagine that the magazine may be happy for a website to have back issues for reference open to the public, we will have to see what they say come the time. You cannot buy back issues from before 2015 unless anyone else knows differently, so please keep your copyright comments to yourselves for the time being and let me just see if there are any wheels in the project!!

My Opinion is that you are asking on a public forum for an opinion and it is therefore not acceptable for you to criticise such opinion just because you don't like what you hear!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:01 am

Well said, Peter!
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jap1122334 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:37 am

You know what all, I wanted to know is does anyone have some old copies of magazine's ...forget it !!!
jap1122334

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:48 pm

You could always try ebay.
matchlessman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jap1122334 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi Matchlessman I have been serching Ebay for Ages to find some Old copies because i was interested in any information i could find out about my Autosleepers, but sadly i can't even find a magazine that featured any of my Autosleepers thats why i wanted to Index all the Mags to help people pinpoint the magazine that there motorhome was in. But sadly all the copyright lawyers on here have destroyed the chance of anyone even saying "Hey i have one from 1994" but thanks all the same. up!
jap1122334

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:39 pm

I have 09/2007, 01/2008, 02/2008 and 05/2008.
You're welcome to them. Bit heavy to post, but if ever you're passing feel free to pick them up.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:32 pm

jap1122334 wrote:But sadly all the copyright lawyers on here have destroyed the chance of anyone even saying "Hey i have one from 1994" but thanks all the same. up!

That's one way of looking at it. Another might be that people were pointing out a practical problem with what you said you were intending to do.

I'm not really sure why you reacted in the way you did. In your position I probably would have said something like "Ok, but initially at least I'm just planning to publish a list of the contents of each issue (which is not as far as I am aware something that would be copyright) and a statement of whether I'm aware of anyone who has a copy that could be borrowed, so copyright is not an issue".

It may be true that any attempt to publish their (old) content on a website is likely to fail, but there are, I believe, other ways to approach the problem if content sharing is a longer term objective (though some of these are in a legal "grey area").
-mojo-

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:30 pm

Personally, I think the OP's idea is sound and I don't think that Warners will retain much of an interest in something that no longer makes them money, ie. they don't sell back copies beyond a certain date, but the copyright issue remains an obstacle.

Easiest option is for the OP to formally request the required consent from Warners and if they are forthcoming, you have a busy time ahead, if they deny consent, then it's a non starter !

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:46 am

If they can see it could be on a reputable site and done in a professional manner there is more chance they will say yes. Promotes their image in a positive way.
matchlessman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:35 am

matchlessman wrote:If they can see it could be on a reputable site and done in a professional manner there is more chance they will say yes. Promotes their image in a positive way.

I agree.
T'internet is driven by advertising, if they can see a way to generate revenue from this they may give you consent.
Rich..
RML

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum