Pics of your cupboards

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pics of your cupboards

Post by samleeds on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:55 am

I know this might be a silly post, but if we are all honest, the bane of our lives circulates around storage and ease of set up and break down regarding camping. With this in mind I thought I would start a post that allowed us to share ideas and suggestions that overcomes these issues. Personally I cant abide by the rattles on the road. From the cooker that rattles to the cupboard that contains things that shift and roll around under transit. So here is an opportunity to share your clever little ideas with us all. Take a pic of your drawers (not the nicker type) and cupboards, if you have a space saving or anti rattle idea. Im so sick of mission controls idea that we need to have loads of cushions to ram in the cupboards before setting off, the damn things have to live somewhere and our van looks like a boudoir as soon as they are all taken out when we stop. Also explanations of what you do might help. You never know, out of the mouth of babes etc, come ideas we can all admit to learning from.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pics of your cupboards

Post by Gromit on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:13 am

Ear plugs are the cheapest solution!  lol4

Is it mainly rattles you want to cure, or is space saving a similar priority?

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:48 am

Don't have any pics, but I glued ant-slip matting to all of the shelves in our cupboards, this does partly help with rattles but mainly minimises stuff moving around. I also added short lengths of curtain wire with hooks and eyes on the cupboards where we keep things like tins and jars, this stops them falling out when you open the cupboard.

I don't know how you have room for cushions, all of our cupboards are jammed full with contents stuff when we set off!     confused3

Fine bubblewrap around bottles in the drinks cabinet stops them chinking; if you don't have bubblewrap then socks work. up!

Anti-slp matting between the saucepans, oven trays, etc but remember to take it out, it makes a right mess if it melts! rolleyes

I also upgraded to a radio/CD/USB sound system with 7 speakers including a huge sub-base woofer behind the drover's seat so I just pump up da volume with some Scooter or Basshunter ( or The Piano Guys if Mrs B is onboard) and I can't hear anything from the back    snigger

Apart from that, you will never eliminate every single rattle and squeak so just need to get used to it.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:48 am

I can't do pictures as we are at home and the van is in storage.

Some storage solutions I've come to over 40 years:

These are excellent for making it easy to access food items and small fiddly things ( ie charger plugs etc). I have used ice cream containers but these boxes have a handle and so getting them down from a high locker is much easier. The makers must have liased with AS as they fit very neatly in lockers. This is one supplier, there are umpteen others similar, including Lakeland.

http://tinyurl.com/z78umgm

I try to buy things in polythene bottles but, if glass ones, then  foamed polystyrene bottle sleeves blagged from a posh wine seller ( or Asian food shop) stops the bottles clanking. Old socks will do as well.

I store ( Arcoware glass) plates etc flat and china mugs in the stacking holders. A metre of fleece fabric cut into suitable sized circles goes between each set of plates and round each mug to stop rattling.  Same thing between saucepans etc. 

2 litre polythene milk bottles, cut to size, make good storage containers for bottles and bits in the bathroom cabinets, which are too shallow for the bins above. Stops them falling out when you open the cabinet. A friend decorates hers with collages but I'm too lazy.

I have a collection of linen shopping bags which are very handy to store items of underwear, socks and so on. Two hang from over-door hooks behind the wardrobe door and so save locker space. In too-high lockers they save scrabbling around as the whole thing can be taken down and sorted.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:52 am

If it rattles in the kitchen area wrap a tea towel round it, you need tea towels anyway so nothing extra to move about. Use the oven shelf edges from Aldi on cooker parts to stop the metal on metal. Try and use plastic containers instead of glass, i.e decant jars of coffee etc. Use  towels to pack out cupboards. Use a tool roll instead of a tool box. Don't carry tat you don't need !

The greatest source of noise in our Clubman on the move is the MPK roof lights.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:15 am

I decant all the glass bottles of herbs and spices I use into plastic jars ( cosmetic jars from Poundland etc) and they then stack in a tower in a cut down plastic drinks bottle. Stops rattles, takes up considerably less space in a locker and they don't fall all over the place.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:02 am

My biggest source of noise comes from the passenger seat.
For years I have put a sheet of kitchen roll between each plate / bowl. Tea towel around the grill pan. Wind up the radio, preferably on planet rock....
Increasing age and continued use of loud motorbikes are reducing the issue for me.
matchlessman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum