Autosleeper Legend your opinions please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Autosleeper Legend your opinions please

Post by paulsutt on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:05 am

Hi, having now owned a Talisman for a year, we love her!..only been away a few times but I do like the Autosleepers. Next year I hope to upgrade to something a bit newer..our budget will probably be up to £17,000 so quite limited. I have seen a few Legends (later version with mid door) within this range and wondered what your opinions are? I've read somewhere that it's classed as the best Autosleeper they produced at this time...?
Also we would want to possibly tow either a smart car or Peugeot 107... Has anyone done this?..would the 2.5 turbo be up to it?
Many thanks in advance
Paul

Last edited by paulsutt on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
paulsutt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talbot Talisman GL
Vehicle Year : 1990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Autosleeper Legend your opinions please

Post by roli on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:12 am

The Legend (model with hab door midships, not the earlier shorter ones) is in many peoples opinion the finest AutoSleeper ever built
Yes people do tow with them but be aware of the long rear overhang at the rear also spare wheel access.  They were of course available with manual or automatic gearboxes being a tranny

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagabargin on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:55 pm

roli wrote:The Legend (model with hab door midships, not the earlier shorter ones) is in many peoples opinion the finest AutoSleeper ever built
Yes people do tow with them but be aware of the long rear overhang at the rear also spare wheel access.  They were of course available with manual or automatic gearboxes being a tranny

You have me intrigued now Roli , what made them so good ? And what years were that model made ? confused3
Bagabargin

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terrybrinklow on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:21 pm

they were that good   I`ve got one. Super for living in in any season.  Not as wide as the newer motor homes but adequate ,designed with a rear lounge and either a large double or two singles.It`s the only camper I could find with a rear lounge and single beds that are long enough for me to fit on [although I do remove the backrest coushons at the end of the bed at night and store them on the drivers seat].Any mechanical problems ,it`s a Transit fixable anywhere.Best camper I ever bought.
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:07 pm

It was the opinion of the original owners of AutoSleepers, when they could make decent coachbuilts
Talk to any current or previous owners and they will tell you layout etc as Terry has said
The design was later reproduced in a Styrofoam shell under the Rienza and Hampshire names, a few of these Hampshire may be found on a Merc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:04 pm

scratch head For some reason the Rienza/Hampshire seems to be forgotten when it comes to a choice of coach builds.
I didn't set out to buy a coach build that big but it just seemed to be right when we looked round it.
A rear lounge with a huge double bed or two singles to fit my 6ft frame. We can sleep length wise so no disturbing each other during night time visits to the loo. A bathroom big enough to be able to shut the door whilst showering. Lots of storage that we have yet to fill. Having the habitation door in front of the rear lounge means you have separated the kitchen from the lounge.
We started this years trips in February and it felt cosy and comfortable.
Its Ford based, admittedly low millage  helps but hopefully it wont be an issue to sort out any problems.
During my time working at the roadside I was put off by early Seval van problems and if Ford gets under youre skin it is hard to shake off.
Having moved from a rust plagued Duetto the Rienza feels a good move. allthumbz

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 pm

I was looking for a motorhome in a price range I could afford (aren't we all).  I knew what I wanted after towing caravans and building a self build on a Peugeot Boxer.  After looking at lot's of specs and many vehicles in the flesh I decided I wanted a Legend.  I've not been disappointed, even though I ended up on the back of a recovery truck a week ago; nothing too serious, just a failed water pump.

Be warned, you may need to spend a time searching, it took me about six months to find the one I bought having vetoed one or two on the way.  I have had a towbar fitted to mine, but for trailers not cars.  As these are custom built you need to make sure that access to the boot is retained.  Bridgewater Trailers who built my towbar provided a ratchet and socket to lower the steadies as the original winder no longer fits.

Finally, Transit turbo diesels of the age when Legends were built have a possible weakness in the Lucas Epic fuel injection system.  It may last forever but if you have problems it's worth considering a Bosch replacement and ditching the Lucas electronics.  The Ford Transit Forum is very informative on these matters. 

Tony Comber
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagabargin on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Wow, thanks for the info , are they the longest of the monocoques ? Ill have to keep an eye out , and have a look inside . We did get a look at an Amethyst at the Lincoln show .
Bagabargin

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firms on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Paul

We have now had our '97 Legend (Bertha) for exactly one year. Our first ever motorhome. Here is how it has performed.... 

We have spent 40 nights away in the van and covered 4500 miles. In May we had a two week trip to the Loire valley and Brittany (1500 miles 12 stops) Two weeks ago we ferry hopped the Scottish Islands of Arran, Islay and Jura. Another 1500 mile round trip. (6 stops) The rest have been weekend / long weekend trips to various locations. Last wednesday we got off the ferry at Kennacraig on Kintyre at 3pm and then drove 444 miles home to Northamptonshire, arriving home at twenty to one in the morning!

We hadn't planned to drive all that way in one hop but the old girl was running so well and roads were clear so we just kept on trucking. Frankly I am still amazed that we would drive that far in a twenty year old transit camper but it speaks volumes for how comfortable and reliable it is. 

I can honestly say that the only thing I wish it had is a 6th gear ...it has plenty of power (mine is intercooled) but it could do with an extra gear or maybe change the back axle ratio to reduce revs and improve economy...it has averaged 26mpg. Certainly I feel that it has sufficient punch to tow with....  

Being rear wheel drive it also handles exceptionally well and we have taken it down many single track roads without any issue or concern...sometimes I throw it around like a Ford fiesta...Can a motorhome be fun to drive?      

The rear lounge with the huge bed and 3 panoramic windows is the main reason for choosing the Legend. 
We have stopped at some amazing places and you really do get the best possible views all round.....the majority of "moderns" have continental layouts with small windows which may be suitable for people who pitch up and watch telly but don't offer the motorhome experience that we enjoy.

I had to replace the exhaust earlier this year ( think it was original!) and apart from that it has been perfect...everything has worked from day one and still does. 

No question that this vehicle has been one of our best ever purchases....no idea what i would replace it with.

Hope this helps and you should be able to pick up a good one for about 15K.... good luck with your search...

Simon
Firms

Male

Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum