The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions

4 posters

Go down

Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions Empty Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions

Post by PeterP Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi

I am completely new to motorhomes but recently acquired a 1997 Autosleeper Symphony - amazing condition. I have some questions about the 12V electrics:

• I recently installed a double USB socket to power a portable DVD player and speakers - great sound and pictures. Working in the evenings when the wires were hooked up I used the 12V supply to provide lighting. After ca 1 hour the battery indicator showed red. I don't think I was using that much power and we went away last weekend using a hook up - so I would have thought it was fairly well charged. How do I establish if my leisure battery needs changing?
  • Does anyone know how to change the 12V tubes - I can't work out how to get into the housing.

Many thanks

Peter
PeterP
PeterP

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions Empty Re: Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi Peter
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington ,someone with a van similar to yours will be able to help later.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions Empty Re: Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions

Post by boxerman Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
My van is a bit older than yours but the lights might be the same:
Symphony - 12V leisure battery questions Symphl10
If so, just ease the brown ends bits outward and the white defuser will come away to access the tubes.

Are you sure that the battery is being charged?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:27 pm

My 97 Symphony had different lamps. There was a tiny indent on each end to insert a small screwdriver blade into and a gentle twist would remove the defuser.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterP Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks to all - I have the lamps with the tiny indents and so will try the screwdriver approach. Does anyone know if these can be replaced by LED's?

Regarding the battery, it is definitely charging when on hook up - I measured the voltage at 13.8V DC. It's a Leisure Platinum battery if that gives any clues.
PeterP
PeterP

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:18 pm

If battery not charging with engine running check fuses hanging above engine battery. There are two, one for fridge and other for split charge. The holders for these fuses corrode and cause problems on these items.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down