Roma B Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roma B Update

Post by davtherav on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:34 pm

I thought it a good idea to give Roma B a good old clean, easier said than done as she is parked up on a secure site near where I live ( has been here for a couple of years not turned a wheel in all that time) No water on site so I have been bringing it in containers from home. The first application was with Fenwick's caravan cleaner concentrate, it's a great product, two capfuls into five litres of water, apply, leave a couple of minutes and scrub! Magic, everything comes off quite amazingly well. Rinse off well with clean water. Blimey, she already looks great!
The second application was a wash with  Bodywork shampoo conditioner, I've just completed this today. Next job is to give her a polish with  Super Resin Polish and finally a wax with Rapid Aqua Wax (I'm using the Auto Glym products)
Sorry no photo, tried tinypic, but no joy. Me and modern tech. don't go!!

Dave
davtherav

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roma B Update

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 am

ROMA B continues to have stuff done to her. I restarted work (after my recovery from heart bypass surgery) in May. Replaced the pedal assembly after the heater control valve job. Replaced the fridge for a better 2nd hand one. Renewed the alternator. Removed all the window blinds for cleaning and re-tensioning. Replaced all the ancillary belts on the engine. Degreased the engine bay. Changed the gearbox oil. Renewed the clutch cable. Removed the radiator back flushed it at home (No water on site where she is parked)

Last edited by davtherav on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spellings)
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am

davtherav wrote: Changed the gearbox oil. Renewed the clutch cable.
Don't know if you are aware Dave, but its recommended to overfill the gearbox by at least a pint.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:32 pm

davtherav wrote:ROMA B continues to have stuff done to her. I restarted work (after my recovery from heart bypass surgery) in May. Replaced the pedal assembly after the heater control valve job. Replaced the fridge for a better 2nd hand one. Renewed the alternator. Removed all the window blinds for cleaning and re-tensioning. Replaced all the ancillary belts on the engine. Degreased the engine bay. Changed the gearbox oil. Renewed the clutch cable. Removed the radiator back flushed it at home (No water on site where she is parked)
Nearly there Dav.     up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oil level

Post by davtherav on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm

boxerman wrote:
davtherav wrote: Changed the gearbox oil. Renewed the clutch cable.
Don't know if you are aware Dave, but its recommended to overfill the gearbox by at least a pint.

Frank
Hi Frank,
I'm getting different recommendations about this. I've read that JKTowers says 1.3L and I've also heard that the level should be raised for the benefit of 5th gear lubrication. I've put 1.6L as the handbook says, but I'm willing to follow advice,!
Dave
PS: I measured how much I drained out and it was 1.6L
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Yes! its for the benefit of the 5th gear. It is also recommended not to use 5th at under 40mph on the earlier Boxer [like mine] which is virtually the same box.

BTW use imgserve for your photos, its already linked to the site, use the 'host an image' icon above the reply box.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:27 am

I've renewed the fuel filter (old type fixed with a centre bolt) the primer doesn't seem to work but I managed to fit it with most of the filter filled with fuel. Replaced the radiator, fitted the engine pulley cover (repaired with fibreglass) air filter box. Ordered up some jubilee clips for water and air pipes. The local garage man is going to get me a price for renewing the cam belt.  I'm happy with the progress. 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 am

I removed all the curtains and took them home, washed them, dried and ironed them, they have come up well. 
I spent ages washing both sides of the wind out awning but it was worthwhile because it was filthy! 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 am

How fiddly it is trying to get the curtains back up! You have to be double jointed for the ones over the kitchen sink and as for the side ones, well I'm going to be really struggling, is there a trick to it? I admitted temporary defeat yesterday preferring to work in the engine bay fitting and securing the air and radiator hoses!
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm

I found that the easiest way with the  side windows was to unscrew the rail at the centre point where it is joined together and let it drop down slightly. I then removed the runners and attached them to the curtains. I then slid  the runners with the curtains attached back onto the rail and screwed the rail back in place. You might have to remove 2 screws from each half rail so that it drops down rather than bends
I agree about the rear window alto this method worked there as well.
Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Doris wrote:I found that the easiest way with the  side windows was to unscrew the rail at the centre point where it is joined together and let it drop down slightly. I then removed the runners and attached them to the curtains. I then slid  the runners with the curtains attached back onto the rail and screwed the rail back in place. You might have to remove 2 screws from each half rail so that it drops down rather than bends
Louise
Thanks for this Doris,  I must admit that thìs is a good idea, I'll take your advice and give it a go.
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Doris wrote:I found that the easiest way with the  side windows was to unscrew the rail at the centre point where it is joined together and let it drop down slightly. I then removed the runners and attached them to the curtains. I then slid  the runners with the curtains attached back onto the rail and screwed the rail back in place. You might have to remove 2 screws from each half rail so that it drops down rather than bends
Louise
I've been to try your method Louise and found it fairly easy to do, so thank you again.
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:18 pm

I noticed that the narrow windows in the Luton have been letting in a bit of the wet stuff, so I removed all the upholstery cards and took them home for cleaning, after I'd done that I scrubbed all the carpet. Replaced the cards and then resealed the windows. I haven't had any response for requesting a bed board and mattress so I'll have to get some plywood for the board and think about alternatives for the mattress. 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ROMA B update

Post by davtherav on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:26 am

I've refitted the leisure battery tray and earthed it to the chassis. I've had the habitation lock out cleaned and repainted it  fitted a new lock barrel and replaced it. Replaced 2 broken plastic spot lamps with new led ones in the lounge area. Changed gas from butane to propane. Cleaned the habitation door card with carpet shampoo. Re-varnished the woodwork around the kitchen units. Replaced the drivers seat box and seat. Next job is to replace the top of the fuel filter (with the primer in it) and then try to get all the air out of the system  any tips would be appreciated! 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:08 pm

davtherav wrote:I've refitted the leisure battery tray and earthed it to the chassis. I've had the habitation lock out cleaned and repainted it  fitted a new lock barrel and replaced it. Replaced 2 broken plastic spot lamps with new led ones in the lounge area. Changed gas from butane to propane. Cleaned the habitation door card with carpet shampoo. Re-varnished the woodwork around the kitchen units. Replaced the drivers seat box and seat. Next job is to replace the top of the fuel filter (with the primer in it) and then try to get all the air out of the system  any tips would be appreciated! 
Dave
See you up here soon Dave.    up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Yep, Brid. will be at the top of my list Boaby!
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 pm

davtherav wrote:Yep, Brid. will be at the top of my list Boaby!
Dave
Not Durness then?

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Try your van out on the pass of the cattle to Applecross , or Sutton bank if you coming to Bridlington .
Boaby. On tour
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:26 am

Just out of interest, whats a Roma B?  I've done a google search and it comes up with nothing.
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : VWClubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:22 am

It's the name I've given to my motorhome 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Durness

Post by davtherav on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 am

boxerman wrote:
davtherav wrote:Yep, Brid. will be at the top of my list Boaby!
Dave
Not Durness then?

Frank
Crikey Frank, that's a long way away. I'll have to see how things pan out! 
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hills

Post by davtherav on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:Try your van out on the pass of the cattle to Applecross , or Sutton bank if you coming to Bridlington .
Boaby. On tour
I've made a note of it Boaby! But the pass to Applecross maybe not!
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:49 am

I reckon the Bealach na Ba is easier than Sutton Bank - longer, but easier.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

ROMA B update

Post by davtherav on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:24 pm

I've fitted the new filter top, primed it and the feed pipe at the injector pump, but I'm having trouble bleeding the high pressure side. I'll need my wife to start it while I do the work under the bonnet! I was a bit miffed when I noticed that the new washers supplied with the primer were leaking I put the old copper washers back on! Anyway I'll see how things go  hoping the engine starts and keeps running.
After this it's onto electrics the charging light has decided not to go out! I've put a new alternator on, so I can't see it being that, there are only 3 wires   2 are different size connections so they can't be mixed up, the 3rd is a spade connection  which is presumably to do with the warning lamp. I don't know what's up  but I'll find out !
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davtherav on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm

I had another go at the fuel business did some more bleeding got engine started then cracked the injector unions one by one until she ran sweetly.
I had another look at the alternator and got the volt meter out. Only read 12.5v at the battery with the engine running,  nothing at the spade connection on the alternator. I e-mailed the firm that I got the alternator from to see what they think, waiting for a reply.
Dave
davtherav

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum