What BBQ do I carry now

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What BBQ do I carry now

Post by samleeds on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 am

For years my faithful Webber BBQ has traveled with me in the car with the caravan on the back. Now we have an Autosleeper clubman, the weight restrictions and space issues preclude this BBQ from coming with us. As an avid BBQ,er, I thought i would get the views of what some of you use. Years ago I had a flat charcoal BBQ which was 2 feet x 1 foot x 5 inches thick with a base and lid with the legs that detached and clipped under the shell and it all sat in a bag made by the wife. Alas I cant find them anymore on e bay. All I can find are these flimsey foldaways that last for 3 cooks then buckle and get damaged with the heat.

Any ideas guys or even better any links. Cost isnt a concern as quality is the most important thing.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : vw clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What BBQ do I carry now

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:33 am

Hi Sam
Lots of forum members recommend the Cadac range of gas BBQs, I have the smaller Cadac chef on short legs and run it on propane from the van on tour and from camping gaz when at home.
Ideal for two folk.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:40 am

To be perfectly honest the Cadac isnt my cup of tea. Ive had the safari and it acts and cooks like a frying pan which defeats the object of the exercise really. I like the real taste of charcoal as opposed to a gas or electric grill scenario.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Add6598 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:23 am

Have you looked into Cobb's? I was torn between a cadac and a cobb. Ultimately my decision was made for me when a well priced second hand one came up for sale. In truth I've only tried the Cobb once so haven't really got into it, I'd say at this point though the cadac would have probably suited me better.. But that's just me personally.
If a compact well built charcoal bbq is your thing they're certainly worth looking into. In spite of a hefty price tag they have a similar following and fan Base to the cadac and I can't believe the hype is over nothing.
Might be a long shot but if you find yourself in the Peak District soon you'd be welcome to have a look and try it out. Given the £200 price tag it might not be as daft as it sounds. 
Bests, Adam
Add6598

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None...yet
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:43 am

I like the look of the Cobb but it looks quite small for my needs. I had a great real charcoal bbq years ago and it was about 2 foot long by 1 foot deep and 6 inches or so deep. There was a lid that closed down on it that acted as a back wind stop when up and it had 2 wings that folded out to provide side wind breaks. The legs were detachable and they lay either inside the lid or clipped under the base so it all folded flat and was kept in a bin liner for travelling. I cant seem to find one these days but that unit would be great.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlysme on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:05 am

Onlysme
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe VW 2.5 TDI
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:29 am

samleeds wrote:Years ago I had a flat charcoal BBQ which was 2 feet x 1 foot x 5 inches thick with a base and lid with the legs that detached and clipped under the shell and it all sat in a bag made by the wife. Alas I cant find them anymore on e bay. 
Nor can I, and they were just about the best compromise and were made of very thick steel so they lasted for ages. I think they were painted green, but could be wrong there?? Ours was not unlike this one, but it wasn't a Weber.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RALJ/?tag=foodal02-20

I would like another for ourselves, so if I find one I'll let you know.

Some useful looking models on here.
http://foodal.com/kitchen/outdoor-appliances/barbeque-grills/guide-to-the-best-portable-charcoal-models/

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by samleeds on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:56 am

Marco

Thanks for the imput but I have had one of those, they last 10 mins. This one below is about as near as I can come to my old blue monster and as our friend above points out, it was made of thick steel and took some hammer. Im probably gonna get one of these and a chimney starter that no bbq enthusiast needs to be without. Ill post both links. The chimeny is filled with loose paper in the bottom and then the bricks on top and it all kicks off and is ready to go in 15 mins so no meths or horrible tasting petrol or solvents to worry about 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252546703914?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141744524992?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:39 pm

We used to have the Weber Smokey Joe but storage was a problem, so have now got the Weber Go Anywhere.  It's a great little barbecue and stores neatly in it's own bag under the seats.  We wouldn't be without a Weber for quality   smile!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/go-anywhere-charcoal-p294467

Jaymo

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Weymouth John on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:11 pm

I have, tucked away in the garage, a Cobb, a Cadac and a Smoky Joe. They all have their own advantages but when we go away in the van, space is tight and so we now take an Outwell bbq that folds flat and cost about 30 pounds  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTWELL-Cazal-Cahors-portable-grill/dp/B001VNEHJK

I thought that it would be too flimsy to last but it's done all this summer and after we've finished cooking it's provided the perfect off-ground support for a wood fire which at times has got very hot. The metal hasn't distorted and it certainly looks good for another year.
Weymouth John

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2009 Dorset (Symbol)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum