Motorhoming or Motorcycling?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Motorhoming or Motorcycling?

Post by bikeralw on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 am

I've just returned from a 2,500 mile two week trip to Italy on my 37 year old motorbike, and having done much the same route many times in the motorhome, time to compare.
The high pass roads on the bike are nothing short of exhilarating on the bike, the van much less so.
Come the evening the race is on to find a hotel for the night before they're all full, no such problems in the van, aires and free stops are everywhere on the continent.
Getting past that annoying van on the bike is stress free and easy, in the van, I am that van..
When on the bike and it starts to rain, 10 minutes in a fume filled tunnel putting on the waterproofs, in the van just flick a switch and the wipers clear the way ahead.
Three act drama on the bike when it comes to a coffee or lunch stop, a café or restaurant has to be found, in the van you can just pull over anytime and put the kettle on.
Taking in all costs, if you're not camping it's much more expensive to travel by bike than van.

On balance which do I prefer? If the sun is shining, it was on this trip, the bike without doubt, plus I shed 15 years when I get astride a bike..

bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorhoming or Motorcycling?

Post by boxerman on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:48 am

I always feel that when you're in the van or a car, you are inside, looking out at the countryside. When you're on the bike, you're in it and part of it.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:04 pm

Very true Frank, I also think that because you're acutely aware of your own mortality on a bike, your senses are heightened.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 pm

I try and get away on the bike at least a couple of times a year for camping breaks and often in Europe.

Love the sense of freedom that only a biker feels and while the bike does have negatives like you mention, I kind of see it as part of the fun of biking.

I've spoken to more people abroad just through shared passions for biking than I have anything else.

Once in East Germany a big guy came up to us looking a bit scary, we though we'd annoyed him with the bikes engines and he pulls out his phone and starts showing us pictures of his motoguzzi. Couldn't speak a word of English nor us German, but we managed to somehow get across what we all thought of our bikes :)
Greyhound

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:00 pm

A few years ago I would have opted for a ride over a drive anyday, but now I would find a long ride just too uncomfortable (a cafe racer may be cool in your 30s but gets a bit wearing in your mid 60s ! ), and I am acutely aware that my reaction times are not what they were. So the bikes which are now more like toys have to go. At least the wife will be happy happier.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm

NORGIL wrote:A few years ago I would have opted for a ride over a drive anyday, but now I would find a long ride just too uncomfortable (a cafe racer may be cool in your 30s but gets a bit wearing in your mid 60s ! )
That's why I like my nice, slow, sit up & beg Indian Enfield content

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Since becoming single my yearning to return to motorhoming is far greater than my yearning to return to motor bikes, so for me at this moment in time, the van wins.

I never had the pleasure of riding abroad, so it's probably easier for me to make that decision, as I don't know what I'm missing. 
That said, a couple of years ago I took the Bolero down through Germany & Switzerland to get to my son's wedding at Malcesine on Lake Garda, and took a bit of Austria in on the return leg. The roads and views were superb and it was the first time I seriously considered doing a return on a touring bike.

Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluff on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:47 pm

I keep looking for variations on towing/carrying a bike (not scooter) but SWMBO won't consider it. Nor will she entertain her driving the van and me on the bike, meeting up every so often.  Whistle1

Just got back from a 250 mile round trip to Whitby so today my vote is for touring on a bike, but it wasn't raining.  up!

Fluff

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by harry h on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Had a great trip away through central France on bike in June. Prefer the bike in summer motorhome in the cooler seasons.
harry h

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Just bought myself a Kawasaki W800 retro style bike, can't wait to ride it. Her indoors says I have to get rid of my Yamaha Dragstar soon. One bike in, one bike out scenario! Though I still have my Francis Barnett 1954 Kestrel 66 to finish off restoring! 

Retirement is busy busy busy, just come back from Yorkshire Dales (site just north of Settle) with the van, done quite a bit of walking. Pen-y-gent was exhilerating on the top, weather good but the wind nearly blew us off the mountain! - if you can call it a mountain!
Home now, contemplating a ride out on my new acquisition before the weather changes!

Pete
Maasai Warrior

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Masai Warrior wrote:... done quite a bit of walking. Pen-y-gent was exhilerating on the top, weather good but the wind nearly blew us off the mountain! - if you can call it a mountain!

The vernacular term is 'Fell' but mountain will do, and I think it's the toughest to climb of the three, did you go up as per three peaks route - up the steep front bit and down the side?

Home now, contemplating a ride out on my new acquisition before the weather changes!

Pete
Nice bike, get out there and enjoy it up!

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:42 pm

67 and ride a honda fireblade, wife on the back,perhaps we should grow up,bikes no good for sleeping, ravenna is,weve got the best of both worlds......Dave

bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ravenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:19 am

bantamblade wrote:67 and ride a honda fireblade, wife on the back,perhaps we should grow up,bikes no good for sleeping, ravenna is,weve got the best of both worlds......Dave

Good going there Dave. Afraid the Fireblade and such bikes don't suit me due to the riding position. My touring bike is a 37 year old Moto Guzzi Convert, but to get the adrenaline flowing I also ride a Buell Ulysses. I love the non-conventional engineering, fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm, rim mounted front brake disc etc, plus more BHP than my van..
I don't know if it's time to grow up yet..

bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bantamblade on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Buell looks good mate,ive got a bmw r90s if i want to ride sensible,lets stay young....Dave

bantamblade
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ravenna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Perhaps we're lucky but over years of trial and (many) errors we think we've finally got it right (for the time being at least). We own a Harley Davidson Streetglide Special on which we cover more miles than all our other vehicles put together. Regular trips around Devon and the surrounding areas plus one France trip with our club each year. We also take the bike on at least two trips abroad on our own.
We used to tow the Harley but it's a bit of a lump to load and unload.
But now we've also got a Vespa 300 (still got the HD) which we tow on a sideways trailer. Easy to tow / load and gives us the fun of a bike once we've parked the motorhome.
But we still need the sun !

Don
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Decisions, decisions ........... Honda Blackbird, 1979 Kawasaki Z1000 or A/S Fairford. Done Europe many times on both bikes and loved every mile (kilometre) - only been to Belgium so far in the M/H but will go further next year.
Not sure if the exhilaration of the bikes will ever be matched by the M/H but I'm sure it will bring new adventures and challenges.
Still trying to decide whether to hang a moped off the back of the Fairford or tow the Blackbird and head for the Gorge Verdon!!!
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:45 am

I know this is an old post and I was never into long distance riding like most of you but a couple of years ago I rediscovered the Honds Dax. I now have one in the back of the 'van for touring local to where the 'van takes me. (At present Andalucia ). It's a 125 4 speed manual box and can reach 60 but I'm happy at 50mph on 10" wheels. 12" wheels set to go on when I get back. The best of both worlds.
biffobear

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Montana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum