The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience of moving from van to motorhome?

+6
Jaymo
daisy mae
streetglider
dbroada
Paulmold
marc4242
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Experience of moving from van to motorhome? Empty Experience of moving from van to motorhome?

Post by marc4242 Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 pm

We have a Symphony campervan at the moment, and I was thinking of moving to a newer Symbol, but we quite like the look of the Nuevo.  We are used to the width of our 'van though, and I wondered how others had found it moving from a campervan to a smallish motorhome like the Nuevo?

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Experience of moving from van to motorhome? Empty Re: Experience of moving from van to motorhome?

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:52 pm

We did exactly that, moved from Symphony to Nuevo.  the extra room to move around inside and a washroom I can actually turn around in, are so welcome. My wife loves having a full size cooker to work with as she actually enjoys cooking in the Nuevo. We got the ES model purely for the extra storage above the cab and so we leave the seats in bench arrangement. How anyone can actually use the ES as a four-berth is beyond me as with the seats as passenger seats loses all the storage underneath as well as over the cab.
From a size point of view, driving is no different to the Symphony except you do feel side winds on motorways more than the Symphony. We tend to park on supermarket car parks as you can find an edge space where the rear can overhang grass verge although it is only about 6 inches longer than the Symphony, with the bike rack a little longer. The only down side is that if we had a van conversion again, I might have it as our only vehicle, I don't feel I could have the Nuevo as our only vehicle (wouldn't feel comfortable using it just to pop down to the shops).
Hope that helps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Experience of moving from van to motorhome? Empty Re: Experience of moving from van to motorhome?

Post by dbroada Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:10 pm

This time last year we had a LWB Transit and had just come back from 3 weeks on the continent. I'm not sure what layout you have but ours had the bench seat behind the driver which could be assembled in to a double bed. The "kitchen" was also on the drivers side but at the back and on the opposite wall was the shower/toilet. While this layout was good for a couple of weeks we felt we were living in a tube and found it just a little too cramped for the extra week. Making the bed every night was a right pain.

We are about to go off for 4 weeks on the continent in out Nuevo and are really getting excited. Although we still have to make the bed every night it is far simpler and by sleeping across the van the rear end is opened up and doesn't feel tube like. We miss the large sliding door but that is a small price to pay for the extra space.

As for driving the first thing I bought were mirror protectors and they have already earned their keep, but are used much less frequently now than when first fitted. I haven't really driven it enough to get fully aware of the van limits but it is coming. It doesn't FEEL bigger, I am just aware that it is. I have just realised I have only hit the drivers side mirror protector so maybe I am giving much more clearance than needed!

It is just that little bit wider than a panel van for parking but for me, the Nuevo is no more tricky to drive than the Transit was.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Of course later Nuevos are wider than early ones such as mine. I forgot about that. Mine went on for a short time on the X250 base and was known as the Classic but that was dropped after a couple of years in favour of the wider body, so that is worth noting Marc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Paulmold wrote:Of course later Nuevos are wider than early ones such as mine. I forgot about that.
I wondered why your avatar van looked narrower than my van does. Now I know, because it is!

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:39 am

Over many years we've had 5 models of VW, from the split screen (wish we'd kept that) right through to the T5, then a caravan followed by a new 2005 Nuevo, then another caravan and finally (so far) a Nuevo EK. The VWs were great at the time, suited the two of us roaming around Europe with a surfboard, but we were younger then. The first caravan was an eye opener with it's extra space and little luxuries. Then we tried the first Nuevo, a great van but we didn't use it enough as we were both still working. Another caravan followed but when we finally retired it just had to be another Nuevo. Easy to drive, reasonable fuel consumption (about 32 mpg), easy to make bed, great bathroom and kitchen and we appreciate the extra space with plenty of room for the two of us (our longest stay away so far being 4 weeks). Everything seems well put together and AS have made this model for so long they've got it pretty well sorted. It also fits on our drive so we can be away almost at the drop of a hat.
If you do go for it I hope you find that the move up to a coachbuilt gives you lots of extra room and comfort without going to a bigger model.

Don
streetglider
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:21 am

I use my coach built as my car, you soon get use to it. I had a conversion before this.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:04 am

Hi Paul

This is very useful.  I've become so used to your profile Symphony image I didn't realise you'd changed, how long ago was it?  I haven't seen the Nuevo in the flesh, just looking at pictures on Autotrader, but we hope to see one tomorrow.  I forget what the cooker is like is in the Symphony, I assume you have 4 burners in the Nuevo and perhaps there's 2 in the Symphony.  I was a little concerned to see on the Autosleepers site that they have LPG (at least the latest ones) but on checking on Eurotunnel website that doesn't seem to be an issue any more.  It's the EK we're interested in, we will miss the over cab storage (the duvet for us) but I suppose we'd learn to live with it and enjoy the skylight.  It would be quite an advance for us, just a few years ago our first campervan was a 997cc Romahome on an old Bedford!   On the parking, that's good to hear, we've always really liked being able to park in normalish parking spaces with the Symphony, with just the rear step overhanging.  I think, like you, we'll want a bike rack.  We have for the last few years just been going to music festivals but we're looking at retirement now, and being away much more often.

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:12 am

dbroada:  to make our bed base in the Symphony we :1  'unfurl' the passenger side seat which is behind the cab passenger seat2  pull out a metal frame from the driver side bench seat3  change the horizontal/vertical bench seat cushions so that they're both horizontal.That completes making the across-the-van double bed's base.  How does that process compare with the Nuevo?Where are you off to to on the content?  We've only been in the UK so far, but I'd like to do our first visit to the continent in March, say.  As you say, we'll miss the sliding door, it's been great both before and after we bought an awning.I'm pleased to hear there's no great change in driving the Nuevo. Marcdbroada wrote:This time last year we had a LWB Transit and had just come back from 3 weeks on the continent. I'm not sure what layout you have but ours had the bench seat behind the driver which could be assembled in to a double bed. The "kitchen" was also on the drivers side but at the back and on the opposite wall was the shower/toilet. While this layout was good for a couple of weeks we felt we were living in a tube and found it just a little too cramped for the extra week. Making the bed every night was a right pain.

We are about to go off for 4 weeks on the continent in out Nuevo and are really getting excited. Although we still have to make the bed every night it is far simpler and by sleeping across the van the rear end is opened up and doesn't feel tube like. We miss the large sliding door but that is a small price to pay for the extra space.assenger si

As for driving the first thing I bought were mirror protectors and they have already earned their keep, but are used much less frequently now than when first fitted. I haven't really driven it enough to get fully aware of the van limits but it is coming. It doesn't FEEL bigger, I am just aware that it is. I have just realised I have only hit the drivers side mirror protector so maybe I am giving much more clearance than needed!

It is just that little bit wider than a panel van for parking but for me, the Nuevo is no more tricky to drive than the Transit was.
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 am

We've had the Nuevo for 3 yrs now , the Symphony we had 5 yrs. Yes we had only 2 burners in the Symphony, we have 4 (3 gas & 1 electric) in the Nuevo.
I have recently retired (end of May) and are getting away every month so far. Carol retires in April so hope to get away even more. We may go back to a van conversion but a Warwick Duo next year and may have it as our only vehicle.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:15 am

Are you looking at new or pre-loved?

Just to pick up on a few of your points, ours is a 2016 Nuevo, on a Fiat chassis as I wanted "auto" but built in the same factory as the Pug base.

We have a 4 ring cooker, 3 gas rings and one electric.
The LPG is for camping services not for running the van. The channel tunnel allows this but ask for it to be isolated. I'm hoping that isolating it from inside the wardrobe rather than underneath will be good enough. I had a look at external isolation today and while possible is not high on my list of things I want to do again.
The EK comes with 2 alternative over cab options. I have gone for the large skylight but at least one member (Gromit) has the cupboard option and stores his duvet up there.
There is a rear parking camera but I also had beeps fitted.

HTH

Last edited by dbroada on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:15 am

I didn't know that, do you know when they changed width, what 2008?  I suppose we'll be looking as you up t about 10 years old.Paulmold wrote:Of course later Nuevos are wider than early ones such as mine. I forgot about that. Mine went on for a short time on the X250 base and was known as the Classic but that was dropped after a couple of years in favour of the wider body, so that is worth noting Marc.
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:17 am

marc4242 wrote:
I didn't know that, do you know when they changed width, what 2008?  I suppose we'll be looking as you up t about 10 years old.Paulmold wrote:Of course later Nuevos are wider than early ones such as mine. I forgot about that. Mine went on for a short time on the X250 base and was known as the Classic but that was dropped after a couple of years in favour of the wider body, so that is worth noting Marc.
The x250 came out in 2006/7 and the wider Nuevo came out same time but due to popular demand the narrow body Classic was made for a couple of years.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:22 am

The bed is made up by pulling the side seat's frames towards the middle of the van - easily done because of the slides - and rearrange the cushions. Simple.

As for where we are going, its still a bit fluid but will probably include Budapest, Vienna (day trip to Bratislava planned), Prague & Dresden plus two car races as the Hungaroring and Hochenheim. (please disregard spelling)

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:29 am

Paulmold wrote:We've had the Nuevo for 3 yrs now , the Symphony we had 5 yrs. Yes we had only 2 burners in the Symphony, we have 4 (3 gas & 1 electric) in the Nuevo.
I have recently retired (end of May) and are getting away every month so far. Carol retires in April so hope to get away even more. We may go back to a van conversion but a Warwick Duo next year and may have it as our only vehicle.

Oops that shows how observant I am on here!!  smile!

That is very useful having 1 electric hob.  I don't suppose the shower works offf electric as well as gas?

I saw just the outside of a Warwick parked near to us recently, it fitted in nicely to a large car parking space, but the rear overhanging a grass bank; that's 6 metres long I believe.  I don't know if we'd get it on the drive (I don't know about the Nuevo / later Nuevo actually yet either ).  Why would you go from the Nuevo to the Warwick?  Is a 6m vehicle really useable as an only vehicle?  We've 5 vehicles between the 2 of us (that will have to change in retirement) for different purposes.  My wife's just shown me a photo of Bruce Springsteen on his custom chopped Harley I'm very tempted to get a bike licence too. 

Our first post retirement trip is next month (Cornwall via Brum and the NEC show), with another one in November.  I'm busy working on a massive spreadsheet for our packing list.  The first trip is a shakedown trip to find out how being away for a long time (a week max at Glastonbury is all we've done so far).
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:12 am

marc4242 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:We've had the Nuevo for 3 yrs now , the Symphony we had 5 yrs. Yes we had only 2 burners in the Symphony, we have 4 (3 gas & 1 electric) in the Nuevo.

Oops that shows how observant I am on here!!  smile!

That is very useful having 1 electric hob.  I don't suppose the shower works offf electric as well as gas?

I saw just the outside of a Warwick parked near to us recently, it fitted in nicely to a large car parking space, but the rear overhanging a grass bank; that's 6 metres long I believe.  I don't know if we'd get it on the drive (I don't know about the Nuevo / later Nuevo actually yet either ).  Why would you go from the Nuevo to the Warwick?  Is a 6m vehicle really useable as an only vehicle?  We've 5 vehicles between the 2 of us (that will have to change in retirement) for different purposes.  My wife's just shown me a photo of Bruce Springsteen on his custom chopped Harley I'm very tempted to get a bike licence too. 

Our first post retirement trip is next month (Cornwall via Brum and the NEC show), with another one in November.  I'm busy working on a massive spreadsheet for our packing list.  The first trip is a shakedown trip to find out how being away for a long time (a week max at Glastonbury is all we've done so far).
The shower works off electric same as your Symbol, the water heats on electric as well as gas. We've always wanted a Warwick but thought it 6in too long but we think we can get round that. If there is one thing I dislike about the Nuevo is having to make up beds. We always use singles and have to turn seats round to make them up whereas Warwick Duo had two ready made single beds.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:32 am

streetglider wrote:Over many years we've had 5 models of VW, from the split screen (wish we'd kept that) right through to the T5, then a caravan followed by a new 2005 Nuevo, then another caravan and finally (so far) a Nuevo EK. The VWs were great at the time, suited the two of us roaming around Europe with a surfboard, but we were younger then. The first caravan was an eye opener with it's extra space and little luxuries. Then we tried the first Nuevo, a great van but we didn't use it enough as we were both still working. Another caravan followed but when we finally retired it just had to be another Nuevo. Easy to drive, reasonable fuel consumption (about 32 mpg), easy to make bed, great bathroom and kitchen and we appreciate the extra space with plenty of room for the two of us (our longest stay away so far being 4 weeks). Everything seems well put together and AS have made this model for so long they've got it pretty well sorted. It also fits on our drive so we can be away almost at the drop of a hat.
If you do go for it I hope you find that the move up to a coachbuilt gives you lots of extra room and comfort without going to a bigger model.

Don

Hi Don

We think the VWs look really cool, but we're happy having modern vehicles with a lot more space and facilities.  We did also um and ah for ages as to whether we'd get a campervan or caravan.  In the end it came down to perceived campervan coolness over a campervan!  hugegrins 32 mpg for a motorhome sounds great.  We can't wait to see one now!  I was hoping to see one tomorrow but realised that the Marquis site doesn't show where there stock is.  Thanks very much for the information.

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:47 am

dbroada wrote:Are you looking at new or pre-loved?

Just to pick up on a few of your points, ours is a 2016 Nuevo, on a Fiat chassis as I wanted "auto" but built in the same factory as the Pug base.

We have a 4 ring cooker, 3 gas rings and one electric.
The LPG is for camping services not for running the van. The channel tunnel allows this but ask for it to be isolated. I'm hoping that isolating it from inside the wardrobe rather than underneath will be good enough. I had a look at external isolation today and while possible is not high on my list of things I want to do again.
The EK comes with 2 alternative over cab options. I have gone for the large skylight but at least one member (Gromit) has the cupboard option and stores his duvet up there.
There is a rear parking camera but I also had beeps fitted.

HTH

We'll buy secondhand.   It's very useful having one electric rng.  No, I see that the issue with LPG seesms to be vehicles that run on it.  I assume LPG is widely available on the continent?  Is it like a petrol tank, you fill up from a pump?  I would have thought you were ok re isolation, but strictly maybe not :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes, I'd seen the 4 berth option.  Initially we saw Symbols without the overcab storage we're used to in the Symphony and didn't like it, but given the amount of time spent on the campsite as opposed to road, maybe the skylight might be quite nice.
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:08 am

I know the rules concerning lpg in the tunnel but different inspectors check in different ways. Last year, having ensured that access to the bottles was easy I was just asked if I had turned the gas off. On the way back with access limited I had to show the man the bottle, after spending a long time emptying stuff fromantic around the gas locker. I shall find out this week what awaits me this time.

Mine has an underslung lpg tank filled from a nozzle at a fuel station. I have yet to do this so I am a bit nervous of it but it should be easy. I don't know when the underslung tank became standard. Maybe Paul knows.

The Nuevo EK is the 2 berth which can be had with either a window or a cupboard. It is different from the 4 berth. I like the extra light given by such a large window.

One of the reasons we went for the Nuevo was we only have a 6m parking space and the Nuevo is 5.7m so it fits nicely.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaymo Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:45 am

We've had our Nuevo for a year now and do like a lot of things about it, but we are thinking of changing to a van conversion, possibly a Warwick Duo.  The reason is the width of the vehicle can be quite restrictive and very tight on our country roads.  We've already had the offside mirror knocked and had to replace it at a cost of £200! We would like the flexibility of being able to travel anywhere so this is something worth considering if you are thinking of changing.
Jaymo

Female

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:49 pm

I moved from a VW T25 poptop to a Nuevo at the start of this year and haven't looked back.

There are things I miss about the van, but if I'm honest I wouldn't go back to one. The space and added comfort of the Nuevo compared to the lack of storage and facilities in the van outweighs it by a long shot.

At first it seems like you're driving a big old bus, but after a few trips you get used to it and now buzz around no problem in it.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:02 pm

I moved from a van to a Nuevo and just love it. The space, the loo, the kitchen and it has four seat belts. I don't find it big to drive as it's not much wider than my last van. If fact it's lovely to drive. The only thing that bugs me is cleaning the roof. I got someone in last time to give it a good clean. I'm to old to get up a ladder.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:34 pm

rose49f wrote:The only thing that bugs me is cleaning the roof.

I send the small urchin up to do it after he's cleaned my chimney.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Please do. hugegrins
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:50 pm

rose49f wrote:Please do. hugegrins
Would you mind if he came through south London on his way to you. The soot should be all gone by then.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next