Formula 1 Sites - Home & Abroad

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Formula 1 Sites - Home & Abroad

Post by Wargenwolf on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Mods, please move this to a more appropriate section if you feel there is one.

Formula 1 and motor racing fans, do any of you have experience of campsites, (Private or Club), CLs or CSs in or around Silverstone, that would be suitable as a Motorhome base to attend the British Grand Prix in 2017. Something close enough to cycle, or with access to public transport would be ideal.

......and the same request for any European mainland Grand Prix circuits up!

(The site search facility had no hits !)

Ken.
Wargenwolf
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Formula 1 Sites - Home & Abroad

Post by dbroada on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Tricky.

I have been looking for this weekend without much luck. The last time I went to Silverstone we were allowed to stay in the van in the car park - and had electricity! However they now make a point of not allowing overnighters in their car parks.

Obviously the Silverstone site is close but expensive, and for me - closed this weekend.

The http://whittlebury.com/camping/ site is within walking distance and is probably also expensive for the GP weekend.

MOST overseas GPs I've been to have their own campsites of various standards and cost. In the next few weeks I will have sampled Hungary and Germany (Hochenhiem) and last year we stayed in Austria. Most of my recent trips have been for the DTM with a lower number of spectators so advanced booking is not (usually) considered necessary although I did last year for Austria. Even then I didn't get a hook up as their distribution points had the wrong connectors.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:23 pm

I've just remembered Monza has their own sites too. It was there that we decided my back isn't up to using a tent any more and we started motor homing.

I know everybody says there is no need to book in advance when camping but for an F1 race I would advise otherwise. Most places will sell you the camping ticket with your admission ticket and there are often several camps so you can choose the one closest to where you want to view from. They DO fill up so the sooner you apply the better. If you want to go to Le Mans, unless you want the awful Beausejour camping area you could already be too late!

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:15 pm

dbroada wrote:I've just remembered Monza has their own sites too. It was there that we decided my back isn't up to using a tent any more and we started motor homing.

I know everybody says there is no need to book in advance when camping but for an F1 race I would advise otherwise. Most places will sell you the camping ticket with your admission ticket and there are often several camps so you can choose the one closest to where you want to view from. They DO fill up so the sooner you apply the better. If you want to go to Le Mans, unless you want the awful Beausejour camping area you could already be too late!

Excellent info, thanks  allthumbz
Wargenwolf
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roger7webster on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 pm

We went to the Monaco GP this year and stayed at Camping Le Vielle Ferme in Villeneuve Loubet Plage. Good site but they charge an extra 5 euros/day for a trailer and similar for a car. Our neighbours had both so were on an extra 10 euros/day.
The train runs to Monaco about every 30 mins and costs 16 euros return. Journey time about 40 mins.
We had tickets for the standing area and managed to see very little of the actual race. Would buy stand tickets if we ever went again ( not very likely)

roger7webster

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2012 Sussex EB panel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm

roger7webster wrote:We went to the Monaco GP this year and stayed at Camping Le Vielle Ferme in Villeneuve Loubet Plage. Good site but they charge an extra 5 euros/day for a trailer and similar for a car. Our neighbours had both so were on an extra 10 euros/day.
The train runs to Monaco about every 30 mins and costs 16 euros return. Journey time about 40 mins.
We had tickets for the standing area and managed to see very little of the actual race. Would buy stand tickets if we ever went again ( not very likely)

It's a shame you didn't get to see much of the race, but at least by passing the info on it could help a fellow motorhomer from falling foul - Thanks smile!

Hints and tips on vantage points ?  I'm guessing they'll be out there somewhere on the 'net, but would everyone share if they found a gem  alittlesecret
Wargenwolf
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 pm

When I went to Monaco (1974) we had general tickets for the Station hairpin. I don't know what the corner is now called but at one time it was called Loews. I've looked at the current prices and dout that I will go again BUT if I were to go again I think I would risk the hillside for the race but get a grandstand for Saturday. 

I intend going in 2018 though, to the bi-annual historic race.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:02 pm

How could I forget. I turned up at Spa (probably) on Friday and was directed in to the general car park near the top of the Kemel straight which is where we stayed until after the GP Sunday.  Obviously no facilities so you need to be self sufficient. We arrived without any tickets but with the rise of Max I don't think I would do that next year. You don't need a stand for Spa as there is plenty of good viewing from the top of the hill down through Puhon.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:55 am

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:00 am

I do like Le Mans and was sad to miss this year's amazing race, although like nearly everybody else I would have wanted the Toyota to have lasted the extra 10 minutes.

When I said you are probably already too late I wasn't being entirely truthful (but it was for comedic effect). MANY people book next years site as they leave the previous year which means they are already partly booked before they go on sale. Those prices look a little high compared what I remember from the official shop. They have hidden the tickets at the moment, presumably until the Truck race is over but check http://www.lemans.org/en/24-hours-of-le-mans/  Once upon a time Houx had hook up but none of the others did. I'm not sure whet the situation is now, I've never attended in anything other than a tent.

Beausejour is a vast site quite some way from the main part of the circuit but there are shuttle buses if you prefer to wait rather than walk. Arnage and Mulsanne are both remote from the start area. Most of the others are OK. In order I would choose Houx and Houx annex.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:06 am

a few Beuasejour shots

and the race that year....

That was 2007! I do need to go again.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:05 am

Excellent pics Dave.... Looks more like a 'Mudpluggers' meet snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 am

Wargenwolf wrote:Excellent pics Dave.... Looks more like a 'Mudpluggers' meet snigger
as one sign said "Les 24 heure du mud"

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum