Security Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Security Recommendations

Post by Yorkie+1 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm wondering what security to fit to my 2005 Executive. Any recommendations please.
Sue
Yorkie+1

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Security Recommendations

Post by m8form8 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Decent alarm should be number one priority. Also good from insurance cover point of view.  up!
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:34 pm

If your MH doesn't have one already, I would go for a quality alarm. Each MH we have had has been fitted with a VanBitz alarm of Taunton, not cheap but excellent alarms.
They also have a lovely camp site in what was once an apple orchard.

Leighton.
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:54 pm

I don't know the facts but I suspect most motorhomes are stolen whilst on the driveway at home - so I think a quality wheel clamp would be no2 on the list.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile http://www.uk-sites.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paul long on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 pm

A clutch claw that clamps your brake & clutch pedals together.
paul long

Male

Auto-Sleeper : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 am

I think an immobilisor is primary and a mechanical deterrent is secondary. An alarm is just noise and next to useless these days unless the owner is near enough to hear it. A tracker is then an excellent addition, but this is not a deterrent, it's a last resort in case the worse happens.

A steering disklok is very good as you can take it with you and protects the complete wheel whereas wheel clamps are more cumbersome and tend to be driveway only, but excellent visual deterrent (I have both). Don't get the steering locks that expose any part of the steering wheel. A steering wheel can be cut through with a junior hacksaw and then the lock pulled off. Those twenty quid long clamp on style bars through the steering wheel are next to useless.

I'm torn on alarms, I personally find them a PITA, but the immobiliser aspects are worthwhile.

We were away last weekend and two VW campers had them going off as it got quite windy in the afternoon. The owners were off site so they would go off routinely for 30 seconds every now and again until they got back and unlocked them.

The alarms served no purpose other than annoy people and I would have happily watched someone pinch them just to get the annoying things away from me by the end of the day.
Greyhound

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Realistically, anybody who is determined enough is going to be able to steal your possessions, whether it be van or contents. Those with newer, shinier kit are more likely to be bothered by the lowlife.  Its a case of making it as hard as possible for them without spoiling your own enjoyment. 

An alarm is probably the only sensible thing you can use to protect the contents when you are not in attendance. (Pet crocodiles are also pretty good!!). Additional locks on doors help but are very inconvenient as you would have to remove them all when inside, to ensure a quick exit in an emergency. (Wouldn't want to be inside a locked van if it caught fire...). Some of the scum use a razor blade on quarterlight window rubbers to get a hand in to unlock doors. Alarms also usually provide an immobiliser (in addition to factory units) making drive away difficult.

My alarm must be set properly, as it nevers goes off with wind etc. yet go inside when its armed and your ears hurt!

Wheel clamps are a good visual deterrent, but I forgot about mine once and managed to drive off my standing onto the road (over gravel) before I noticed. It then just needed a quick wiggle and it was off, no damage to the van, still locked albeit slightly twisted. So as good as a chocolate fireguard.

A great security trick I saw somewhere is to rotate the Drivers seat to the rear, then padlock into position. Simple and effective. Nobody can drive with the seat facing backwards.

If scum can break into and steal state of the art prestige cars in seconds, we need to be creative or pragmatic.
matchlessman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Immobiliser - A knowledgeable and determined thief will know how to get around most well known types
Tracker - He'll also bring a GPS jammer with him, just in case you have a concealed tracker.
Mechanical Deterrents - He'll be fully conversant with the methods required to remove or disable them.
Alarm - Nobody will take any notice, and he'll know how to disable it.

Creativity is your best friend, as matchlessman says. Think of your own quirky methods of protecting the van that the determined thief can't possibly be expecting, I used to wire the button push of a wireless doorbell across the interior light in my cars, it saved my Ford Sierra Cosworth from being stolen many times.
I've also thought about the method of disabling the driver's seat, but it would also have to be arranged so that the seat can't be unbolted and that the thief can't reach the controls even with it facing the wrong way.
I have pondered about padlocking the seat back in the tilted forward position as well.

meanchris

Male

Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Our profesionally installed Alarm saved our van from being totally ransacked when left in a car park and theives broke in, a local guy heard it and called the police and shouted at them. So certainly not a waste of time as suggested by one member on here. (Noggin) But they do need to be set properly and have people understand them and not leave hatches or windows open. Thatcham approved Alarm Immobiliser is an industry standard with insurance firms, giving a discount if one is fitted so they think their worth having too. Whistle1
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:09 pm

m8form8 wrote:Our profesionally installed Alarm saved our van from being totally ransacked when left in a car park and theives broke in, a local guy heard it and called the police and shouted at them. So certainly not a waste of time as suggested by one member on here. (Noggin)

Maybe it depends on where you live.  In built up areas, alarms go off all the time and no one takes any notice as it's just simply a common occurrence, so in those situations they are most definitely a waste of time.

There are plenty of YouTube video's showing kids breaking into cars and stealing them on peoples driveways, all the time the alarm is going off and they don't flinch.

I'm not saying don't have one, just don't rely on it being the best security measure the manufacturers would have you believe and definitely have it set up so not to annoy people as then it becomes a cry wolf situation which is unfortunate.
Greyhound

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:55 pm

There are alarms that react to tilt. We had one on our Symphony which used to go off at any wind in excess of a slight breeze much to the annoyance of neighbours , so much so that if it went off in the night I disarmed it. The Nuevo has. Cobra alarm which does not have this feature. I also have a steering wheel bar, clutch claw, internal Heosafe deadlocks on front doors and Milenco external habitation door lock.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:04 am

Another tip I read on this forum is to leave the steering in full lock when in storage as this makes it very difficult to drag / pull a vehicle onto a transporter. The whole idea is to deter any thief from taking your van for another easier van to steal .... unfortunately for the other.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:49 am

Good point Steve, in addition have been looking at the possibility of locating a long shank padlock through the hole at the bottom of the steering column (floor level) to possibly engage with any one of the foot peddles. Diameter of shank approximately 10 cm with combination lock, no fear of lost key or possible lock picking? This set up may deter would be thief especially trying to tackle the shank in the restricted location of the cab floor/peddles for a quick get away with our van. Such a lock can be purchased for about £20. Regards

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:47 am

Noggin wrote:
Maybe it depends on where you live.  In built up areas, alarms go off all the time and no one takes any notice as it's just simply a common occurrence, so in those situations they are most definitely a waste of time.
Maybe true of Essex, glad I no longer live there anymore. I also tend to steer away from heavily built up areas. Just glad ours worked in the car park in Anzio Italy and the local's did not ignor it but chased off the robbers and called the police saving the van being emptied.  think_smiley_46
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 am

m8form8 wrote:
Noggin wrote:
Maybe true of Essex, glad I no longer live there anymore. I also tend to steer away from heavily built up areas. Just glad ours worked in the car park in Anzio Italy and the local's did not ignor it but chased off the robbers and called the police saving the van being emptied.  think_smiley_46

I was probably a bit harsh on alarms having come back from a weekend away and being bugged by a couple so don't take me too seriously :)

Sounds like the good alarms properly fitted aren't a bad idea and certainly another level of security worth considering.
Greyhound

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:53 pm

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies.

I've got a "bulldog clamp". This goes on any road wheel and looks like the sort that bailiffs fit to cars that they have impounded. A thief could get rid of it using an angle grinder but it would make a heck of a noise. Cost me £100 or so.

I've got a steering wheel lock. It's probably useless but it helps put off casual thiefs.

An immobiliser is fitted to my van. You have to plug the fob in to disable it. I'm sure a good thief can get around it but it will delay them. Would also totally foil an ideot who grabbed the keys because the location that the fob plugs in is not obvious.

Cheapest of all and useful for when the van is not in use, I've got a little wheel switch that isolates the starting battery. This is really for stopping the battery going flat. However, it would also delay a theif.

I guess nothing will stop someone hellbent on stealing your pride and joy. However, my attitude is that if you take some precautions that make it more of a pain, most robbers will move on to an easier target. Afterall, why bust a gut if others leave something there for the taking?
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 am

mattpc wrote:I haven't read the whole thread so apologies.

I've got a "bulldog clamp". This goes on any road wheel and looks like the sort that bailiffs fit to cars that they have impounded. A thief could get rid of it using an angle grinder but it would make a heck of a noise. Cost me £100 or so.

I have a Bulldog as well, nice bright red clamp that cover the whole of the wheel. I looked into wheel clamps a lot before buying and am pretty confident it can't be easily got off - some you simply let the tyre down and you can drive straight out of it. Like you say, nothing can withstand a grinder, but the noise and sparks involved attract a lot of attention.
Greyhound

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:04 pm

I've never seen anything better than the bulldog in use on sites I've visited. In fact, I've been quite shocked at how little people do at all to protect their motorhomes.

The downside of the bulldog is that it's really heavy and cumbersome. However, since I always have it fitted unless I'm moving, it doesn't get in the way most of the time.
mattpc

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:30 pm

I've just posted an ad in classifieds for a 'Brightlock'  habitation door lock. No drilling, simple idea but no longer available new. Take a look.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:57 pm

The best drive away prevention I have ever seen is, the drivers seat swivel to face the habitation side and a padlock fitted through the frame, confuses the hell out of a thief, and so difficult to just drive away.
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Leytonexile on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26 pm

like Mattpc, I've fitted a battery isolator. £15 from Amazon. Take the key with you every time you leave the van. Also, run a short length of wire bypassing the isolator with a 10 amp fuse in the circuit. This ensures your radio and other vital items can still function but as soon as anyone attempts to start the engine, the fuse blows.
Leytonexile

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Windsor

View user profile http://www.davemoore1.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkie+1 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:17 am

Thank you everyone.

We've had an alarm fitted at Vanbitz. Had it a few months now and very pleased. Not sure the neighbours are, as we keep forgetting it's on and triggering it ourselves. :/

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:06 am

After our break in I had to do something as fast as I could to secure the van better. The habitation door had a dead lock fitted so as recomended I fitted the Fiama dead locks the the cab doors. An alarm may be a good idea but they do get ignored. I know of a van broken into and the intruder raided the cupboards whilst the alarm was sounding. The people in the street thought the owners had forgotten to turn the alarm off. 
I cant fit a steering wheel lock on our Transit because the horn push is live all the time so maybe a pedal lock would help.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:45 am

As mentioned above locking the drivers seat in its reversed position is a good deterrent. I have found a convenient lug under the drivers seat that with a big enough padlock prevents the seat rotating back to its driving position by jamming up against the base frame. A simple additional defence against a thief - just the price of a padlock (assuming you have a similar lug already in situ).

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Yorkie+1 wrote:Thank you everyone.

We've had an alarm fitted at Vanbitz. Had it a few months now and very pleased. Not sure the neighbours are, as we keep forgetting it's on and triggering it ourselves. :/

Good choice  up!   

I had a look at their systems after Bad Penny mentioned them earlier in the thread and booked a fitting in with them as part of my 'getting to know the van' tour down south. Their site is immaculate, with easy access to walks, via the orchard.

I didn't go for their ear splitting 'Growler', just incase it ever developed a fault while my dog is in the van, but the 'Strikeback' is still good. I had it backed up with their non starter system too, so no one can start it, either with a cloned key, or my own key, unless I send an instruction to the system first.

The non start also has its own tracker, built in, so if the van is winched on to a truck and the alarm ignored, I can track it.

If all that fails, my insurance company are happy with the security, so will give me a new van Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum