1992 Clubman Kitchen Hot Tap Spins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1992 Clubman Kitchen Hot Tap Spins

Post by mattpc on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Hello all, My 1992 Autosleeper Clubman has a folding metal mixer tap setup. Hot and cold each have a valve and you turn each tap to get the right mix. The hot tap has worn out. You turn the knob and the knob spins but the valve does not open and close. Removing the knob reveals that the plastic spindle has probably had it. It looks like this valve can simply be removed from the mixer by undoing a nut. The question is where can I buy a replacement valve? I think the tap is a comet. The knobs are metal and horizontally mounted. The central mixer tap moves up and down to fold out of the way.
mattpc

Male

Member Age : 36
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman 2.0 LPG
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1992 Clubman Kitchen Hot Tap Spins

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:57 pm

You can get replacement taps from eBay, or O`Learys. that is the whole tap unit, perhaps if one tap has gone maybe the other one isn`t too good, perhaps changing both, just an idea.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:24 pm

We had the same problem and got round it by swapping the shower valves for the kitchen sink ones. We have never used the shower and found  that the shower had brass valves. As the faulty valve was jammed shut it still kept the shower switched off. We had bought new taps but as it was beyond my plumbing skills to fit them we we have just used the valves so that the shower is operational. We will get the tap part fitted when the spout leak gets too bad, we cannot adjust it any more, the nuts do not unfasten properly.

Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks all, I've ordered a second hand tap unit for rather less than the £60 needed for a brand new unit. Hopefully I can harvest the valve I need and have one more spare incase another one goes. If anyone knows where to buy the brand new valves I would still be very interested to know...

Best, Matt.
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mattpc on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 pm

For the record, this worked perfectly. It was a ten minute job to extract the valve, clean it and fit it to the sink taps whilst they were in position. The only tool required was an adjustable spanner. The tap cost £15 on ebay and I just bought one that looked the same. I've also now got spare, taps, nuts, a spout and a spare valve in case other parts go on the original sink tap as the spare came as a complete unit.
mattpc

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum