Fiamma Soft bag on bike rack

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fiamma Soft bag on bike rack

Post by daisy mae on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:56 pm

I am thinking of having a Fiamma bike rack fitted , what I want to know is, how successful or not is the Fiamma soft bag that fits on the carrier ? I thought it would be easier to store when not required, haven`t room to store a box, although that would be more secure,  plus they are expensive, I want to carry chairs etc .

Any info welcomed, thank you,
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fiamma Soft bag on bike rack

Post by Paulmold on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:27 pm

Not used one myself but have looked at them with the same thought of removing for storage. They do have a frame inside to hold them rigid but it's just the idea of them not being lockable or secure from theft that's put me off.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm

I can't help with info re the bag itself, Margaret, but, for security purposes, I would suggest you use a personal alarm ( aka a rape alarm) tied to each item you store in there.

Tie the box part, which has the alarm,  firmly to the item itself and the cord attached to the pin either to something fixed in the bag itself or to the bike rack. 

When the item is lifted out of the bag the pin will pull out of the alarm and alert you or others. I can't guarantee anyone will do anything but, the alarm going off on an item he is holding, will make the thief very, very uncomfortable and likely to drop it and run  as he can't quickly stop the noise.. In my case it made me physically sick . Make sure the alarm box is tied very firmly to the item you want to protect and can't be removed quickly.

Don't forget to untie it before removing the items....!
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi M and P

If you have a towbar, have you thought of one of these?  http://tiny.cc/vqh3dy

Cheaper than having a bike rack fitted, and designed for the job.

Put "Lockable storage box large" into Google, eBay or Amazon, and you have a pretty good solution for less than £250, plus the box would no doubt find a use in the house when not needed on the van.

Just a thought.

Dave smile!
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi Margaret
I went through the same thought process a couple of months ago i.e. bag or box.
Almost bought the bag but in the end decided on a big fiamma box
to summary why
The bag when you add the frame (which you do need) is not as cheap as you think
It is not very waterproof and wears from rubbing on the Bike rack
It does not provide any security and even if you only have a couple of £10 chairs in it any tealeaf does know that so will simple cut it open anyway so it would then be scrap
Why the box
It bolts to the frame , is almost waterproof, does not wear out or can be cut with a knife
it can be left on the back of the van all year or if you want to take it off can be left in the garden where it can still be used to store bits and bobs locked away

I bought one secondhand from a Motorhome dealer who usually take any off any vans you get, it only cost me £125 about the same as the bag.
Anyway my thoughts

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:29 am

Gromit wrote:Hi M and P

If you have a towbar, have you thought of one of these?  http://tiny.cc/vqh3dy

Cheaper than having a bike rack fitted, and designed for the job.

Put "Lockable storage box large" into Google, eBay or Amazon, and you have a pretty good solution for less than £250, plus the box would no doubt find a use in the house when not needed on the van.

Just a thought.

Dave smile!

Thanks Dave unfortunately I do not have a towbar, that would have been better as it would be lower. so if I had towbar, rack and a box will work out expensive, also told Towbars cannot be fitted on the Annivesrary Clubman, don`t know how true that is.

No room in house for box. hugegrins

Last edited by daisy mae on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no room)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:01 am

PeterM used to have a homemade version of the Fiamma bag which I though was a bit more robust.
Last time I saw him out sure he fitted a back box fitted
If you read this Peter perhaps you would comment

Last edited by roli on Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:25 am

Thanks Roger
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:26 pm

There's plenty of second hand boxes on eBay
Pamponi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BVMC on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:45 am

Hi Margaret,

We have a Fiamma bag and frame. It's our second: the first one had to be sent back because the zip broke on the first. I don't know why, but the frame was too big for the bag. Perhaps it was because I used seam sealer (as the supplier suggested to make the bag more waterproof) and this made the bag shrink? Also, the YKK zip isn't as robust as it should be.

I ordered a box (a 360), but this had to be sent back because it didn't fit our Fiamma bike rack. I was shocked by its weight, though, so I'm relieved that it's not on the back of my van! I thought I'd try the bag again, without sealing the seams, and it's fine for storing our cheap camping chairs, the children's bucket and spade and other, relatively low-cost bulky items.

I concur with David's pros and cons, but would add that, once the frame is assembled, the whole thing is light to carry to the van and is easy to attach.

Hope that helps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:04 am

Hi  
yes I have a Fiamma bag with the frame inside and have had no problems with it, I just use it to carry stuff in when going on a trip emptied when I get there, used again when coming home.
there are security problems but if there is nothing in it they can,t pinch it
mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:13 am

Thanks Brian very helpful,  it would only be for camping chairs etc, nothing expensive, can you get chairs in with the frame in place, as looks like it has bars going across the top of the bag, when I looked on line.

Also wondered if I could line it with something to make it more rigid, rather than the frame,I do like to alter things if it makes them work better for me, it works out a lot cheaper than the Ultra box, £375 upwards. to less than a £100 if I had the frame. plus the weight issue. second hand boxes on eBay mostly are the small ones. Think I could cope with the bag better. if I go down that route. wouldn`t want all that weight with a box on the back all the time, then will have the hassle of taking it off and on, which wouldn`t be easy for me to do.

I am looking into having the cab windows done to make them electric, important when driving solo.

Will be booking in to AS for hab check soon. a few things to get sorted, it`s a great life, will be off soon to Lincoln Motorhome show.

Thank you all for your help.
Kind regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BVMC on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:22 am

daisy mae wrote:can you get chairs in with the frame in place, as looks like it has bars going across the top of the bag, when I looked on line.

Yes - I stand on the step that we normally use for getting in and out of the van and remove the second rod in (temporarily placing it in a hole in one of the cage's plastic joints that would prevent me from closing the bag again, otherwise I'd lose it!) then it's easy to lift things in and out of the bag.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:00 am

Thanks Brian, my chair is a metre long a quest lounger with side table, so not like the camping chairs in their bag. I would like to see a bag  in person, then I could visual it more, perhaps get one at the show, maybe offers on there. smile!

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word missing)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fiamma Bag

Post by phil the fish on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:16 am

Hi,
We bought the Fiamma bag from a good camping stockist.  Within 6 months it was completely scrap.  It leaked from day one everything was soaked inside.  Then the zip broke.  It was so bad we felt it must have been a cheap copy.  But most  reviews are not good.  It was exactly what we needed
for chairs and the usual bits and bobs and fitted quite easily with a one bike.  We have now bought a really good one from a company called
Bags 4 Everything we think they are in Yorkshire.  It is half the price  about £48 I think and totally waterproof if you make sure the flap covers the zip.
Good luck
Phil
phil the fish

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Exclusive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Phil,

Have bought from them at the shows. for waste container etc. how do you  attach it to the bike rack ? bungees I presume.

Many thanks,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil the fish on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi Margaret,
The ones we bought came with fixing straps.
Phil
phil the fish

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Exclusive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mick2444 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:31 am

http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/ Titan storage  box 300 Litre £40 delivered flat pack assemby 20 minutes. i put 1/2 inch ply inside then 4 u bolts to fiamma bike rack,feels rock solid,grey colour looks good on clubman. small padlock, it would be easy to get in for thief, arnt they all ?. good for all the stuff that causes stress on the seats inside van, chairs ,step, power lead, pans, duvet , dirty wellies, dog bowls bed etc used it last week for first time 250 mile round trip . just pulling over for a break and not having to squeeze into the back of van makes for less arguments. when not in use just take bike rack off and leave in garden. no use if you are taking  bikes obviously.also seems waterproof .10kg so pretty light

Last edited by mick2444 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mick2444

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 am

Thanks for link, think for me a bag is the best option, as fitting bolts etc isn`t an option. I don`t travel with anything on the seats apart from cushions, loo area as is the floor also clear, everything up to now has been in the luton, or under bed storage, thought would be easier to get outdoor stuff from a back bag, on site outdoor stuff out, bag empty.

Getting electric windows done first, then bike rack on maybe list. getting little things done, need the waste tap sorting as the tap has broken off, need it extending to the skirt anyway.
Thanks all , for all the help you have given. wonderful  forum as ever,  up!

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mick2444 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 am

I seem to take more than i should , stems from the caravaning days ha ha. the toilet has all my fishing rods ,tackle etc rarely used but has to be there just in case.that and the other essentials ??? it takes me a day just writing the list. good luck. up!
mick2444

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:22 am

Well you have to have somewhere to put your fishing kit, and why not the loo. water snigger alright I am quick_run
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fiamma not recommended...!!

Post by Tintent116 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:51 am

I too went through the same exercise.  I wanted a Fiamma box to fit to my bike rack but they are advertised as weighing upwards of 12kg empty. By the time I had put anything in it I was concerned about the weight on the back wall of the van.....

So I bought a Fiamma bag & frame mail order.    The whole lot is rubbish.  The frame slots together but there is nothing to hold the round tubular parts into the plastic corner pieces. They just fall out.  The frame is too big for the bag and I broke the zip trying to fasten it. I have had to cut the frame (and duck taped it together) just to be able to fasten the zip. I have also made a floor for the bottom of it so that chairs or boots etc have something to rest on.

Overall the product is rubbish quality and in my opinion over priced.

If I was you I would buy or make something else, almost anything would be better than the Fiamma bag & frame, sadly......
Tintent116

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:13 am

Sorry to hear of your experience TinTent116, it is so disappointing when you buy what you think is a quality product , then find it is nothing of the sort. I would have expected better from Fiamma.

I have decided not to go down the bike rack and box / bag.

I think I will carry on as I have been doing. I don`t need a lot of equipment  , so no bike rack. just thought it would have been easier to get outdoor chairs, table,  awning mat etc out of a back box / bag.
as it is I have them under the NS settee.

Thank you for all the replies, until you have others views it is sometimes difficult to decide what to do for the best.  

Best regards,
Margaret.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum