The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which toilet fluids are you using ?

+5
Brisey
rosgrech
squip
Dutto
CC
9 posters

Go down

Which fluids do you use?

Which toilet fluids are you using ? Vote_lcap43%Which toilet fluids are you using ? Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 13 ]
Which toilet fluids are you using ? Vote_lcap30%Which toilet fluids are you using ? Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 9 ]
Which toilet fluids are you using ? Vote_lcap27%Which toilet fluids are you using ? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 30

Which toilet fluids are you using ? Empty Which toilet fluids are you using ?

Post by CC Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Just wondering what fluids people are using in their cassette toilets, and what fluids they are happy with and the performance they offer?

With a number of sites only accepting formaldehyde-free liquids in their waste disposal points, and in our attempt to do our bit to help the environment we are thinking of going over to Thetford Aqua-Kem Green or Fenwick's Top & Tail or their Blu Jon toilet fluid (both of which seem pretty impressive - although feedback seems rather mixed) but are concerned as to whether non-formaldehyde alternatives are less effective and if these deal with any so called odours as well as the formaldehyde containing solutions do?

For the record we are not looking to "Save Money" just trying to do our "little bit" for the environment, but also to find a product that breaks down waste efficiently and suppresses any smell...
I also for the record would not consider a SOG system either thank you! hugegrins

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially on the Fenwick's Top and Tail and the Fenwick's Blu Jon Toilet Fluid, which if their Motorhome Cleaner and Bobby Dazzler are anything to go by should be pretty good stuff indeed content

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Which toilet fluids are you using ? Empty Re: Which toilet fluids are you using ?

Post by Dutto Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi there,

Since the "black plague" (i.e. Black fungus growing in the flush system using Thetford Pink) we have used "bio" liquid laundry detergent for both the cassette and the flush system.

It works - even in the 20 degree warmth of Spain.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Which toilet fluids are you using ? Empty Re: Which toilet fluids are you using ?

Post by squip Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:19 pm

I too use a bio laundry liquid. I use the concentrated version as it used less storage space. I am currently using Lidl's. I'm happy with it. smile!

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by rosgrech Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 pm

squip wrote:I too use a bio laundry liquid. I use the concentrated version as it used less storage space. I am currently using Lidl's. I'm happy with it. smile!

squip

Interesting, especially as we use that at home (for the laundy!). How much do you measure into both tanks? -ish!

broomstick Rosemary

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Brisey Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:34 pm

We are currently using Tesco's own brand Bio Washing Powder tablets. 1 tablet crumbled into the casette works well for us. I still have some Bio Magic liquid and a squirt of that goes into the flush tank. When the Bio Magic runs out, I intend to try a perfumed fabric conditioner instead as I have heard that it also works as well.

Brisey.
Brisey
Brisey

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:45 pm

We use One-Chem blue stuff for both tanks, and whilst it do deal with the do-do, it do smell quite strong itself - very chemical if you see what I mean.

Personally, I don't like how it smells and I'd switch to bio washing liquid in a heartbeat, but SWMBO once had a nasty reaction to some whilst using it for washing, and won't hear about using it in the Thetford. So we compromise. We do it her way gettinwrong .

She tells me that we use Zoflora concentrate in the flush tank as well. (WHAT??????) Don't ask me!!! Apparently it makes sense to her, so on that basis we've agreed that she deals with all things Thetford allthumbz and I deal with everything else... think_smiley_46

Tony wink02
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Interesting, especially as we use that at home (for the laundy!). How much do you measure into both tanks? -ish!

Rosemary

Rosemary,
I use 1 measure from the cap of the bio bottle in the cassette tank. I tend to empty the cassette more often than when I used the "proper" fluid or tablets because the bio is cheaper to use and also because as I get older I don't like to carry a heavy tank any more.
I do not put anything in the flush tank. The pink fliud that I used to use [produced black bits] only served to make the loo smell nice. Adding bio wash liquid to the flush tank would not particularly make the loo smell nice. So I have a mixture of the pink liquid in a spray bottle and this is used to spray the toilet after use. That way there is no dangerm of black bits and the toilet also smells nice.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Took the plunge and got some Fenwicks Top & Tail so will update how we get along with it up!

Can confirm what others have said elsewhere, that it does smell strong! Fenwick's claim it's a "Citrus" fragrance but I'm not totally convinced, although it doesn't smell unpleasant it doesnt smell of oranges to me hugegrins and the colour of the fluid is green.

The 2.5 Litre bottles are available from Halfords for just £9.99, shame they don't stock their Blue Jon & Lilly The Pink fluids as well as I was unable to buy any of these Fenwicks products from the Fenwicks Soapy Smiths website as they are not taking orders and this has been the case for sometime now scratch head

Also found the measuring device in the pic on ebay which is ideal for measuring the toilet fluid to get the correct dose. I know the cassette part has a dosing cup but it makes filling the top tank on our Nuevo so much easier as you can just pour in the fluid then top up with water.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Info courtesy of Fenwick's site

Fenwick's Top & Tail is a unique biodegradeable toilet fluid, that can be used in the top tank and the bottom tank. When the toilet is used the bottom tank is not being weakened as the flush water is added. Which makes it easier to use and also more economical.

Top & Tail has been designed to improve the function on non-mains toilets, by lubricating the rubber seals and shutter and coating the bowl with slip agents to keep it clean and fresh.

Top & Tail also conforms to our strict environmental policy, so it does not contain the highly toxic and carcinogenic formaldehyde. This also means that it can be disposed of down the normal sewerage system, instead of a dedicated deposit. The toilet fluid has a seven day cycle which breaks waste down efficiently, killing germs and bacteria. It has a fresh smell and a dye that will not stain.

Last edited by CruizingComet on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error correction)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Thats a good price from Halfords - just checked on Ebay and the cheapest on there whether with free delivery or +p&p is over £13.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Paulmold wrote:Thats a good price from Halfords - just checked on Ebay and the cheapest on there whether with free delivery or +p&p is over £13.

Agree it is a good price Paul, certainly much cheaper than the Thetford equivalent.

While Fenwick's cleaning products seem to be available at many outlets I'm yet to see any of their Blue Jon or Lilly The Pink toilet fluids anywhere on the shelf which is a shame as I would like to have tried these possibly before their Top & Tail, why you cant place orders on their site I'm not sure but it's been like this for a few weeks now that I know of shrugg if I get along with the Top & Tail then we have a Halfords close by so this would be quite convenient for us, just hope they continue to stock it content

Quote: The toilet fluid has a seven day cycle which breaks waste down efficiently, killing germs and bacteria.

Does this mean if you empty the toilet before seven days that the waste will not be fully broken down? Can't imagine many occasions where we would leave the loo that many days without emptying and cleaning scratch head

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi there,

On subjects "toilet" - does anyone stick any oil into the cassette?

When we were in the USA a couple of years back we used a granular product that was sold in a sachet to be dropped into the toilet itself.

One of the features of the product was that it contained some type of oil within the granules which (according to the blurb on the packet) when dissolved produced a fine film on the top of the toilet liquids to cut down smells.

I can see it work in theory but haven't tried it on the basis that we use liquid detergent which would emulsify and neutralise any oil that we introduced.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Which toilet fluids are you using ? Empty Toilet chemicals

Post by Davew Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:03 am

During our 6 week trip round Europe we used BioMagic with fantastic results.
What toilet chemicals do you use?
Davew
Davew

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:28 am

I have tried Lidles cheapest Bio with good results but as we still have a large supply of expensive Thetford stuff, we are 'using it up'.
A tip for anyone trying bio wash tablets etc, clean out the tank with tank cleaner before changing to bio of any kind, The chemicals in 'normal' Thetford' stuff is so powerful, it will kill the bio and you will wonder why the loo smells.
Alan
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:46 am

Just wanted to point out that in an earlier post I referred to the 'Fenwick's Soapy Smiths website', after speaking to James at Fenwicks he has clarified that this is an independent site and not run by Fenwick's so sorry for the misinformation smile! He also explained that getting Fenwick's products into stores especially in our area is quite difficult and down to Thetford's dominance in the toilet fluid market which although a shame makes sense.

Male

Back to top Go down

Which toilet fluids are you using ? Empty toilet chemicals

Post by murph Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:09 am

Hi All,
I use Crystals produced by a firm called Chem Direct (I believe they are Dutch) as far as I know they are only available from Steve Blackman at WWW griptrack .co.uk I have used them for several years, tried other things and keep coming back to them. I find them economical as I only use 1/2 a sachet a time instead of the recommended full sachet, and half the rercommended water, and when I bought my last lot at a Warners show I mentioned this to the lady on the stand (Steves wife I suspect,) and she said they did the same thing, though whether this quantity would be sufficient to keep smells down in hot climates I dont know. I hav no connection with this firm except as a customer.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down