The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra security equipment

5 posters

Go down

Extra security equipment Empty Extra security equipment

Post by Jansellsbond Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:19 pm

I am thinking of investing in some cab door locks and a habitation door lock and would be interested to find out what other auto-sleepers owners have found effective. I have a 2013 Broadway fb on a Boxer.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Extra security equipment Empty Re: Extra security equipment

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 pm

I have Heosafe internal locks on cab doors and a Fiamma door frame habitation door lock which only locks from outside.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Are you wanting additional security of the vehicle from being taken, or security of breaking in to steal from the habitation area.

I know the two are somewhat linked, but if the primary aim is to prevent the MH being stolen, I'd invest in something like a Disklok that cover the steering wheel completely. They are very effective deterrents.

In terms of the doors, I recently put a Fiamma hab door lock on mine, which makes a nice visual deterrent too as it's a decent metal block under the door handle.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:42 pm

tap_fingers See my article about security or lack of, resulting in my van being broken into. The best advice I can now offer is a lock on the habitation door, dead locks on the cab doors and just for a bit extra the lock-em-outs on the windows. Nothing will keep the really determined out but just give them a visual reason to look for something easier to get in. Whilst away last week I saw a motorhome in Skipton with the cab windows open 6" on both sides in a public car park  Whistle1
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:05 pm

I think it helps if, like us, you have an old van that screams

"The owners of this van are so poor that they don't own anything worth stealing,
and this includes the van!"

However, whenever we leave the van we:

o  Draw the curtains.

o  Fit a steering wheel lock that is visible to anyone who cares to look.

o  Ditto a wheel clamp.

o  Chain and lock the two front doors together with a light stainless steel chain passed through the two handles and two combination locks.

o  Pass a small combination lock through a hole I have drilled in the side-door slide.  (The lock ensures that the side-door can only open about 4cm.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We ignore the back door because the bike-rack makes using it as a means of access so difficult as to be a deterrent in itself. wave

But, the main thing we do is leave it where we feel it should be safe and NEVER leave it overnight if it isn't on a secure site; and even then the steering wheel lock and wheel clamp are both fitted.

Of course NONE of the above will prevent a determined thief from gaining entry because all they have to do is smash a window and climb or reach inside; so we just hope that our deterrents will persuade them to go and steal from someone else's van instead! allthumbz allthumbz

drinksallround
Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:14 am

Dutto wrote:
o  Pass a small combination lock through a hole I have drilled in the side-door slide.  (The lock ensures that the side-door can only open about 4cm.)

I like little homemade tricks like this, nice and simple but gives a decent additional security with little effort.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down