The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antidote to "Grumpy"

+7
Askit
Quilter
Cymro
groundhog
boxerman
Paulmold
Gromit
11 posters

Go down

Antidote to "Grumpy" Empty Antidote to "Grumpy"

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Much as I enjoy being a founder member of the GOG Club (Grumpy Old Gits) something happens occasionally to destroy ones terminal lack of faith in human nature!!

Mrs Gromit just phoned to say she had lost her purse. It's about a foot thick and of course, stuffed full of cards - three of which are bank cards.

I had contacted the bank (on the land line) and already "stopped" two of the cards when she phoned again on the mobile. Two ladies had handed in her purse at ASDA, completely intact.

What a blow!!!! There I was preparing the whine of the century, and the wind has been taken from my sails. I was so looking forward to posting a right old strop!! shrugg

I've just phoned ASDA but unfortunately they didn't take the names and contact details of the two ladies. We would have been delighted to send them a decent reward for their kindness and honesty, but the cashier didn't recognise them so they are not regular customers. A few quid to our favourite charity is in order I think. smile!

I bet Mrs Gromit will have to change her underwear when she gets in!!! lol4  I've never lost my wallet (touching wood) but the bottom must drop out of your world when it happens.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Antidote to "Grumpy" Empty Re: Antidote to "Grumpy"

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:47 pm

Mrs Paulmold had her purse 'lifted' as she boarded a bus some years ago. It is a devastating experience and you would think she'd be extra careful now but no, the number of times I have to tell her that her shoulder bag is unzipped is unreal.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:49 pm

It's good to have your faith in people's honesty renewed once in a while innit? I'm willing to bet that the ladies in question would have refused any reward - I know I would.
The vast majority of people are honest, but such is the cynical attitude of people nowadays you wouldn't think so to listen to them.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Two ladies, cheeky beggers, I know I have long hair but really. It was me that handed in your wife's purse, you can pay me the reward anytime you like, I did strain my back picking up that huge purse so please take that in to consideration!

Thanks
'hog

PS: I also incurred a £60 parking fine whilst I stood in line to hand it in....just saying look here
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Funnily enough, I was on the other side of the fence this afternoon. Took granddaughter to a park near he home, in a buggy. Played and then went for a coffee (me, that is - but she shares my chocolate brownie). Walke d home. Emptying buggy, found a set of car keys with a Volkswagen fob. Rang 121 but useless. Went back to park. Spotted police car with 2 CSOs nearby. Started telling story and they interrupted to say that they knew whose keys they were - little boy had put them for his mam in wrong (but identical buggy). Didn't ask for my details but I know that the mother will be v grateful!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:46 pm

You are lying through your worthless teeth Hog!

If you really had retrieved the purse you would be claiming for a sprained wrist, and probably the hire of a wheelbarrow to carry it in - so I know it wasn't you! uncertain

Nice try though.

Dave drinksallround
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:21 pm

OK you rumbled me, I will put the other teeth in tomorrow and try again... allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:33 pm

I put my backpack, including cash, cards, camera, address book and phone, down on the ground while I took off my coat on a cycle path in Vienna. Several kilometres further down the road I realised I hadn't got it on my back. OH, a faster, fitter cyclist than me, took off at speed back along the path to find a delightful Viennese lady guarding the bag, exactly where I'd put it down. 

She was a bit reluctant to give it to him and they waited until, eventually, I arrived. My bag was returned to me and the lady said she was relieved we'd come back as otherwise she would have had to walk back into town to give the bag in at the police station.

Thanks simply didn't seem adequate.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:04 pm

My wife found a full wallet type purse on the lottery stand at our local Morrisons. We took it to customer services and it was claimed a short time later by the very relieved owner. She, after the assistant pointed us out, made a point of coming over to say thanks. I'm a great believer in the old saying, what goes around comes around.

I agree 100% with Boxerman, we were sufficiently rewarded to see it back with the rightful owner, nothing else needed.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Some years ago I took a watch back to the factory for work to be done, & whilst there, we walked around Neuchatel,  an HOUR later I missed my wallet & phone, we went back to every place, & eventually in a shoe-shop, there they were, exactly where I left them,   lucky or what!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Many years ago we left a bag of travel documents etc on the bench seating at a service area on the peage. We had to go half way round southern France to get back there but they were safe and sound, exactly where we left them.

Umpteen people must have sat there while we were doing the round trip of French toll motorways but no-one had moved the bag or taken it to customer services which we thought a bit odd.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Years back I had my wallet lifted at Kings X station and I was completely unaware. I boarded the 5pm train, first stop York, and as I'd not eaten since a 7am breakfast on the train south I went to the dining car and spent the journey having a nice meal. As we approached York the bill was presented and I leaned over to where my jacket was hanging and discovered no wallet. With the train slowing g for my station I was in a panic when a guy sitting the other side of the gangway offered me his unused meal voucher. There was no time to exchange details and I'll be thankful to that stranger forever.

Next morning I got a call to say my wallet mi us cash but with everything else had been found by a bin emptier in Shaftesbury Avenue. He posted it to me and I sent a suitable reward. Inside the wallet were two additional card receipts from two branches if the same bureau see change in Shaftesbury Avenue. My card was used at 5.20 and 5.25 to purchase 1,000 US dollars at each shop.

The irony, at the time I was a Senior Manager in NatWest Streamline Card Services and the US dollar transactions were authorised and processed by Streamline.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Many years ago, SWMBO left her handbag at the side of the car and then drove away.

A check at the local Police Station the next day revealed that the bag had been handed in complete with all cards and cash.

When we went to collect it the policeman manning the desk took out the TWO A4 sheets of paper that had been required to type up the "List of Contents" for the bag!

The list contained a pair of cufflinks that had been "lost" for three years!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers

I think every lady should be forced to empty her handbag and write down the contents at least twice every year! Whistle1 Whistle1

drinksallround
Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Sorry Dutto but de-forestation comes immediately to mind ! That's gonna take one whole lot of paper.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:05 pm

Quilter wrote:Many years ago we left a bag of travel documents etc on the bench seating at a service area on the peage. We had to go half way round southern France to get back there but they were safe and sound, exactly where we left them.

Umpteen people must have sat there while we were doing the round trip of French toll motorways but no-one had moved the bag or taken it to customer services which we thought a bit odd.

During "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland there was very little need to worry if you left your briefcase as you departed from a train, restaurant etc because no-one would touch it; and it stood a greater chance of being blown-up than being stolen! look here look here look here

As they say "Every cloud has a silver lining!" allthumbz allthumbz

drinksallround

Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:06 pm

NORGIL wrote:Sorry Dutto but de-forestation comes immediately to mind ! That's gonna take one whole lot of paper.
up! up! up! up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Dutto wrote:
During "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland there was very little need to worry if you left your briefcase as you departed from a train, restaurant etc because no-one would touch it; and it stood a greater chance of being blown-up than being stolen! look here look here look here

As they say "Every cloud has a silver lining!" allthumbz allthumbz

drinksallround

Dutto

Never thought of that !  How do you explain to your insurance company that you want another green card  as yours was blown up ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:26 am

I presume you mean the Green Card that used to be required in Spain before the EU (and which may make a comeback now we are about to leave the EU).

We had a "not funny" situation in Spain in January 2004.

My good lady and I travelled by train from Toulouse to Malaga where we were picked up by friends who had rented an apartment for us in Mijas.

As the train left Bordeaux for Barcelona, I noticed that there were two unattended suitcases in the case rack opposite where we were sitting.  I asked other people in the compartment who they belonged to and got a series of shaking heads, shrugs and other "Don't know." indications.

I immediately went along to the Dining Car next door and asked the barman if he knew anything about the cases.  At this point a Spanish gentleman propping up the bar said "They are mine. Why do you ask?"

I pointed out that in the UK we had a natural aversion to unattended luggage at which point he said "You British people worry too much." and laughed.

To which I replied "Maybe, but if we were in Britain I would have thrown your luggage out of the window before coming to ask who it belonged to." and walked back to my seat.

The man came back from the bar and made a big show of explaining in Spanish to our fellow passengers my concerns, with much waving of his hands, big smiles and loud laughter.

About two months later, on the 11th March 2004, ten bombs exploded on the Madrid railway system killing 129 people.  The bombs (including three that didn't explode) were all contained in abandoned luggage!

I often wonder if the man on the Bordeaux to Barcelona train changed his mind about "Worrying too much!"  Whistle1

drinksallround
Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down